Best Rock Ever? Nominations, No Air Supply!

night and day
I knew a guy who made some with UCSF chem grad students in the late '60's They hug it up to dry. Feedback was all over the place, nothing to OMG. It had dripped down the strips before they were cut.

I’ll keep my “back in the day” stories to myself, (I would never want to go back). Music is definitely perceived differently when chemicals are involved. My tastes have mellowed with time, but then as now, I prefer acoustic, (instruments, not bikes).

I prefer acoustic, (instruments, not bikes).
I agree. Now I mostly listen to classical. Not the light stuff. It is more intense and information packed then most other forms. It is also more expressive and emotive. And takes a high level of skill. When I put on classical, I can work for hours. CPR.org is good. The stuff in California is more easy listening. I like intense. Here is one that is a 44 second clip of an intro solo. Imagine this on an electric guitar.

I agree. Now I mostly listen to classical. Not the light stuff. It is more intense and information packed then most other forms. It is also more expressive and emotive. And takes a high level of skill. When I put on classical, I can work for hours. CPR.org is good. The stuff in California is more easy listening. I like intense. Here is one that is a 44 second clip of an intro solo. Imagine this on an electric guitar.
Sinister Minister.

In a lot of ways being old sucks (I'm 71), but looking at how things are now in this screwed-up world, and how much I enjoyed my teenage years in the 60s, I'm actually glad I'm not young.

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan and really enjoyed watching the Live At Pompeii video. Thanks for that reminder, m@Robertson. 👍

If pressed for time, see the finally at one hour in. Purple haze & Wild Thing. Little Wing before is a personal favorite.

It is interesting that the drummer snares with the right. Normally a drummer would cross to the high hat so that it is synchronized when moved to the ride cymbal on the right. And use the snare with the left.

Thomas Haake is a legend for good reason, he is a machine. Almost every hair on his head is silver now, his body is held together by duct tape lol and he still cannot be touched on the drums.
Thomas and bandmates are on another level, they may sound like off time noise to the untrained ear, its not, its just very advanced, they are brilliant.

It is interesting that the drummer snares with the right. Normally a drummer would cross to the high hat so that it is synchronized when moved to the ride cymbal on the right. And use the snare with the left.
Left-handed drummers play like this. I’ve seen right-handed players play like this too. Sometimes, to keep it interesting, lead with your other hand.

Here is a guy alternating his lead hands.

Thomas Haake is a legend for good reason, he is a machine. Almost every hair on his head is silver now, his body is held together by duct tape lol and he still cannot be touched on the drums.
Thomas and bandmates are on another level, they may sound like off time noise to the untrained ear, its not, its just very advanced, they are brilliant.
The dude LOVES math! His execution seems flawless. Metal drummers are awesome drummers.

The better drummer can use nuance. And space. Quiet with loud. Her name is Terri. She beats the metal guys by fathoms. They may be robotically, precise, and hard, yet lack all expressiveness and any swing. Those guys just caan't swing their thang. ' Cuz it's just too little. Start at 5-minutes, 35-seconds in.

Last edited:
Back