Best Cheap Car Bike Rack?

The duke

I'll be getting rid of my SUV and downgrading to a sedan. I rarely take my emtb anywhere by car, but am looking for a cheap car bike rack that wont scratch up a car, and can handle the weight of an ebike.

I'll primarily be keeping a bike rack for the possible instance when I have a failure big enough to where I'll need my wife to pick me up and drive me home.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I'm not sure of what you mean by "cheap". There are a great many racks available for e-bikes but none are what I would consider cheap. If your car has a trailer hitch, the least expensive way to carry a bike is on this $60 cargo platform:

No bells or whistles and it doesn't fold but it will carry 500#. I've used one in a pinch to carry bikes with my car. I strap them to the platform and stabilize by tying off to the vehicle.

I'm not sure of what you mean by "cheap". There are a great many racks available for e-bikes but none are what I would consider cheap. If your car has a trailer hitch, the least expensive way to carry a bike is on this $60 cargo platform:

View attachment 41823

No bells or whistles and it doesn't fold but it will carry 500#. I've used one in a pinch to carry bikes with my car. I strap them to the platform and stabilize by tying off to the vehicle.

You could easily design a ramp that can clip onto the side rails for easier loading/unloading. I made one that clips to the hoops on my bike rack for that purpose. This one looks like a winner!

View attachment 41823

Boy I'm not willing to do this, I'd never feel it was secure enough.

Boy I'm not willing to do this, I'd never feel it was secure enough.

I've used it a number of times without a problem. As long as the bike is tied off to the rack & vehicle, it's secure enough.

I don't use it regularly since it's a pain to tie and untie the bike properly. I use a more expensive Yakima hitch rack mainly because it is more convenient. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Harbor Freight cargo rack in a pinch though.

I've used it a number of times without a problem. As long as the bike is tied off to the rack & vehicle, it's secure enough.

I don't use it regularly since it's a pain to tie and untie the bike properly. I use a more expensive Yakima hitch rack mainly because it is more convenient. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Harbor Freight cargo rack in a pinch though.

I had considered the type that has walls that fold up.

I had considered the type that has walls that fold up.

This could be an option depending on the dimensions of your bike. Mine just fits the Harbor Freight rack with the front wheel turned 90 degrees. Higher sides would be a problem unless the rack is considerably wider. The rack weight is also something to consider if it is removed frequently.

This could be an option depending on the dimensions of your bike. Mine just fits the Harbor Freight rack with the front wheel turned 90 degrees. Higher sides would be a problem unless the rack is considerably wider. The rack weight is also something to consider if it is removed frequently.

Yeah I've seen it where the front wheel is removed, then the front fork is set on the outside of one of the side walls.

Bunch-a snooty, high enders around here. Wheres the 'good enough' crowd when you need em?
Never a good idea to start name calling. If you don't like the opinions of others in their full variety, asking questions on this forum may not be the best choice. Maybe there is a forum limited to those who do things on the cheap so you won't be subjected to opinions you don't want to hear.

As one of the "snooty high enders" I just filter out suggestions from those who don't get what I am about. I don't take offense from them until they start calling names and passing judgement on others who don't share their bias.

Last edited:
Wheres the 'good enough' crowd
Picking up the pieces of the bikes that fell off the rack? I wish there were a rack that held tires securely and was sufficient to hold 150# in bikes and batteries. I found none, but my new plan means my nearly $400 rack willl be a deal for someone at $200 or less. Shop Craigslist etc. Others do as I do and often save manuals and boxes for some great prices! Every budget solution I found had some serious flaws, in my estimation. In the end, my rack JUST BARELY fits the longer wheelbase of flat foot frames. Not an inch to spare!

Last edited:
Never a good idea to start name calling. If you don't like the opinions of others in their full variety, asking questions on this forum may not be the best choice. Maybe there is a forum limited to those who do things on the cheap so you won't be subjected to opinions you don't want to hear.

As one of the "snooty high enders" I just filter out suggestions from those who don't get what I am about. I don't take offense from them until they start calling names and passing judgement on others who don't share their bias.
Sorry if you took offense Alaskan! I was just trying to be funny. In my mind, calling someone a high ender was about the most benign thing I could think of....but apparently I've overstepped.

I love and value the comments and didnt mean to dismiss or belittle!

How about using the word inexpensive instead of cheap? To me, cheap means it will not last, and I probably should not buy it. I always look for a good deal, my spendy bike was a rental. I hate to waste my money on cheap items that break or do not last.

Noreal offense taken. Thanks for your understanding. I am a bit wary of flame wars and sensitive to the potential for misunderstanding in cyber conversations.
A good day to be sensitive with that angry n00b flaming around all butt hurt and alone on Thanksgiving. Loneliness makes some quite irritable.

A good day to be sensitive with that angry n00b flaming around all butt hurt and alone on Thanksgiving. Loneliness makes some quite irritable.

FWIW, this pattern of an angry noob pops up every couple of months before being banned. I have been watching this behavior for awhile. Im convinced its the same person based on writing/logic style and typical post times as well. All sorts of faults in his logic but when you point it it, he just argues more, even doing what he is critiquing others for. He even goes after the same people.

Eventually we will all tire of it and call him out more and more, which will escalate until he gets himself banned again. Seems like a smart guy although lacking in self awareness.

FWIW, this pattern of an angry noob pops up every couple of months before being banned. I have been watching this behavior for awhile. Im convinced its the same person based on writing/logic style and typical post times as well. All sorts of faults in his logic but when you point it it, he just argues more, even doing what he is critiquing others for. He even goes after the same people.

Eventually we will all tire of it and call him out more and more, which will escalate until he gets himself banned again. Seems like a smart guy although lacking in self awareness.
People just need to chill out a bit and not take this content to the extreme. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however, no need to bash and ever berate someone for them. If we can defuse this behavior, everyone can be left more at ease. One of the reasons I like Court's content so much. Most of the time, he does an outstanding job of being objective but never on the "attack", if he simply disagrees with someone elses content. Just be kind and considerate which will always be a win win in my book. Cheers to everyone!

Back