Best Cheap Car Bike Rack?

Until our last vehicle, I'd purchased hitch kits from eTrailer. Some were more of an adventure than others, but often due diligence will find which kit will be the easiest to install. I have watched them only get better at instructions, videos, and options. We purchased a rack after Xmas when sales were turtle slow in a Midwestern LBS. A 1-1/4" Thule Rack. There was a nice discount. My only caveat has been the weight of the hitch and installing it. It's definitely difficult unless the owner is fully able to climb around on the pavement and get it installed. It can fold up but then blocks the tailgate/trunk access. But solid as a rock with 140# of bikes

I looked at those. I use eTrailer often. However , as mentioned earlier, I ended up with the Swagman Current with Fat Tire cups. It works great also @ 1 1/4 or 2" ( they adapt with a 2" L bracket (2). Anyway the one feature I really like is the rack and bike tip downward away from my rear hatch door for total access. This was almost a mandatory because we carry a Dometic 65c reefer in the back my wife uses extensively. It only access point is in the rear as to get the top open.

Harbor Freight sells a two bike carrier on sale now for $27.99. It is rated for 35 lbs per bike for a total of 70lbs, your ebike weighs less than that. Perhaps you could have a welder add support to it just for peace of mind. I’ve been hauling my ebike with no problems at all and it’s holding up well With out any modifications. It may be worth looking into. I do not believe with the 2 bike carrier that you’d be able to carry 2 bikes and may have to go for a three bike carrier. eE-bike manufacturer’s recommend Hollywood type racks with a platform. They’re very expensive, large, heavy and cumbersome. i know that I will get some flack about this, but look into it and good luck.

Back