Best 2 e-bike carrier for the money

AZOldTech

Do you have any good recommendations for a e-bike carrier? I'm sure my 2 bike carrier that I have to transport my carbon road bikes would snap the moment I put a 60-70lb e-bike there, let alone 2 of them. So what are you guys using to transport these heavy e-bikes?

I use the Thule Easyfold 2 - It is rated at 65 lbs. per bike, comes with a folding loading ramp that attaches to the side of the platform. It clamps on the frame rather than the tire. It also has the best locking system that I have seen. It is one of the most expensive racks with a retail price of $750.

592802_sized_900x600_rev_1.jpg
Using the 15% Discount Promo Code PPC15 it can be purchased for $638 (a 15% discount) at https://www.outdoorplay.com/thule-easyfold-xt-hitch-bike-rack-9032xt

I use a trailer Larry. Its a 60"x120" aluminum utility trailer that's been set up with a pair of racks, similar to what you might see transporting a pair of dirt bikes. Bikes are wheeled up into the trailer, and driven into the racks that will hold the bikes in place while you strap them down. 2 minutes to load or unload. I'm always using this trailer for something or another (we don't have a PU anymore) so it's handy for us.

If a trailer isn't an option, a 2" Class III receiver type hitch using a "hitch cargo carrier" might be a good option.
Like this one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html

It would likely require a little modifying, but anyone with any degree of creativity should be able to figure that out.

Most ebike carriers are way too heavy, and also cost above $400. Their clamps also mash front or rear fenders (designed to go on the tire area of the bike), and their attachments are clumsy.

One that fits the bill on price, ebike weight (60 lbs per bike), lightweight so its easy to get on, and take off, has very nice under frame clamps that wont damage your fenders, and has adaptors for fat tires too, is the Saris Freedom 2 Bike Hitch.
https://www.saris.com/product/freedom-2

Retails for $279.00. Weighs only 20 lbs.

P.S. You may need the long wheelbase adaptor so be sure to check your ebike length. Its $99.
Also, its made in the USA in Wisconsin ! (not China)

If you don't mind a heavier carrier, or a slightly higher price, my own personal vote is for the Hollywood SE 2 Ebike specific rack. Usually $439, but can often find it for around $400 on sale. The tilt away function is nice for SUV's, so you tilt the rack, with ebikes on, to open the rear SUV hatch. Note with this rack you may want a cross bar adaptor if you have a very low step thru design ebike frame. the frame clamp may not go down low enough in some instances.
https://hollywoodracks.com/products/sport-rider-electric-bike-hitch-rack?variant=15862468102

I have had my SportRack for many years and the construction is solid and does the job for 2 bikes.

Another quality built rack is the 1UP USA made of aluminum in Wisconsin which has many good user reviews.

Many thanks to everyone for their great responses. I took @Deleted Member 4210 suggestion and I decided to go with the Saris Freedom 2 Bike Platform Rack for the following reasons.

It has a 120lb weight capacity (up to 2 e-bikes without their batteries, or 1 e-bike and 1 regular bike which is my case), has a good price point (current prices that I can find are $216-$280, and might be able to find it cheaper during big sales days like memorial day/labor day/black Friday/etc), it weighs only 22.5lb, the upright mast folds down for easier access to the back bike position when loading the bike, as well as access to the trunk when no bikes are loaded, has plenty of add-on available accessories for fat tire e-bikes, recumbent e-bikes, step-thru e-bikes, various locks, etc, it is US made, has lifetime warranty, and I currently own a Saris trunk rack that I've been very happy all those years and know their workmanship. Again thanks to everyone for your input.

BTW, I have no affiliation whatsoever with etrailer but looking at their website while googling for more info, they have by far the most detail description as well as detail videos for bike carriers out there to help you make your decision, including their own track testing that shows how the carrier performs in a real environment. I'm very impressed and kudos to them.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Saris/SA4412B.html#exp-productdetails=.all-description

Last edited:
My complaint on the Thule Easy Fold, other than the price, is that the whole unit, when folded up to the center, doesn't then fold back towards the back of vehicle.

If you want to leave it attached to the hitch you're stuck with this >2' appendage sticking out off the rear of the car with only two red reflectors. If someone in a 4x4 truck isn't paying attention as they come to a stop I could see them bumping into it.

One rack not mentioned that can carry two ebikes and more is the Upright Designs rack. I've posted about it here before. Here it is, loaded four ebikes on it--three cruisers and a commuter. I don't remember quite what it cost. Around $350 I think--I got a discount by calling and asking a question about the rack.
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 3.10.28 PM.png

@Amy ... a couple of things concern me about that rack. It seems like it would put a lot of stress on the fork and headset. Maybe there is some component that isn't obvious from the picture that is supporting some of the weight? Also, from the picture, it appears the bikes are hanging pretty low to the ground. Have you had any problems with dragging when approaching a steep grade, like the entrance to a drive?

One rack not mentioned that can carry two ebikes and more is the Upright Designs rack. I've posted about it here before. Here it is, loaded four ebikes on it--three cruisers and a commuter. I don't remember quite what it cost. Around $350 I think--I got a discount by calling and asking a question about the rack.
View attachment 26071
Holly mother of God!!!... didn't even know such a thing existed... I bet there is a speed limit that you can drive your car/truck/van with that thing full of bikes. Cause I can just see you doing 75-80 mph and having the bikes come off one by one...Plus the bikes don't seem to be isolated from one another so they could be hitting the hell out of each other, especially on long trips. Also you may get the wheels hanging from the top out of true...especially for 65lbs ebikes... or even damage to those wheels (just a guess)... but I can see this may prove useful for groups, clubs and such that need to carry lots of bikes... or families with lots of bikes (don't know what the maximum weight allowed on it is). Thanks for posting it @Amy. You certainly win for the most unusual bike rack that can carry the most e-bikes.
Here is a link to the company's website for people that are interested: https://totembikeracks.com/products/totem-pole-bike-rack
Here is a link to reviews from customers from the company website: https://totembikeracks.com/pages/reviews-and-testimonials

Thanks for your post @Amy

Court did a review, so you can take a look at that.

We found they did fine--they are individually bungied to the rack--they aren't just clattering. There is a cross-bar that isn't evident in my photo, and each has its own built-in place to put each lower wheel.

Wheels/rims did fine hanging from the rack. We did not have any interest in driving 75-80mph with bikes on a rack--we stuck to speed limits and highways/roads had good quality pavement. :)

As for stress on the hitch, this rack requires a class III hitch. Class III is a minimum of 500 pounds. Ours is rated even higher than that.

We liked how visible the bikes are from in the car. You CANNOT drive into a garage with this rack attached.

As for how low the bikes hang (clearance from the ground), we had no difficulties with a very steep driveway at the rental house on our vacation. Our car required the extension piece, which we ordered with the rack. There are instructions on how to determine if one's car needs the extension piece.

We are satisfied with the rack. It does take us two people to load, but we bought it for vacations when we take all four bikes. Otherwise, we don't need a rack to hold all of our bikes--we do most recreational riding from home, or with just two of us at a time.

Last edited:
I use the Thule Easyfold 2 - It is rated at 65 lbs. per bike, comes with a folding loading ramp that attaches to the side of the platform. It clamps on the frame rather than the tire. It also has the best locking system that I have seen. It is one of the most expensive racks with a retail price of $750.

View attachment 26058
Using the 15% Discount Promo Code PPC15 it can be purchased for $638 (a 15% discount) at https://www.outdoorplay.com/thule-easyfold-xt-hitch-bike-rack-9032xt
Shoot. Ordered mine 2 days ago and arrives tomorrow. Could have used that 15% discount...

I've picked out the rack I want but still haven't picked out the ebikes yet. This is getting ridiculous. I like the Saris rack and would like to hear from more people how they like it, or issues with it.. I like Thule racks but they are spendy and I'm already going to drop a ton of cash on two ebikes.

I've picked out the rack I want but still haven't picked out the ebikes yet. This is getting ridiculous. I like the Saris rack and would like to hear from more people how they like it, or issues with it.. I like Thule racks but they are spendy and I'm already going to drop a ton of cash on two ebikes.

Which Saris rack are you thinking about getting? Are you going to mount with 2" or 1 1/4" hitch? I think Saris makes the platform racks that secure on the front/rear wheels or on the downtube. I think the downtube ones might work better if you have full fenders. I have to secure my wife's Radcity Step-Thru with full fenders lower on the rear tire than I like; but, it still works.

I have the Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4 I got back in 2016. It was normally $800; but, I found a returned rack on Amazon for $545. It was missing a few bolts and the keys to the locks. A trip to Home Depot and a call to Saris for another free set of keys and I was 100%. I needed to purchase the trays for my two fat tire bikes for about $40 for each set. Very heavy duty, steel, 4 bike rack (two ebikes 60lbs ea+two regular bike 30 lbs ea). It only two bolts to turn the 4 bike rack into a 2-bike rack. I did this when I took a trip to the Grand Canyon/Sedona a few years ago. I'm usually 90% 1 or 2 ebikes only; but, it is nice to have the extra load capacity for 4 bikes when needed.

I've had no issues putting my two Radrovers and Radcity Step-Thru on the rack (removed batteries and rack bags for less weight). I did an review on Amazon if you thinking about a similar type of clamp on the wheels rack from Saris (username mrgold35, 10/5/16 review: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...arch_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

Attachments

• Step Thru I.JPG
    Step Thru I.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,061
Last edited:
Back