Best 2 e-bike carrier for the money

Just an update... I ended up ordering the Saris Freedom EX 2 bike rack rather than the regular Saris Freedom 2 bike rack. The difference in price was $64 ($216 vs $280). However, the EX version which has all the same features as the non-EX version, also comes with the hitch lock (extra $39 on the non-EX version), the Saris cable lock (extra $40 on the non-EX version), comes standard with wheel trays for up to 4.5" tires (the non-EX version comes only with wheel trays for up to 2.25" tires - for wheel trays for up to 5" fat tires it is extra $50 and can be used in both racks if the standard 4.5" wheel trays on the EX model don't do it for you). PLUS (and that's a big plus) the EX version has a tilt mechanism. Both at 90 degrees towards the car (so it can become more compact when driving with the bike rack attached without bikes loaded) or tilt away with the bikes loaded so you can open the car door. The non-EX version can NOT do that. So I was going to buy the 2 locks anyway for the non-EX freedom at +$79, so it came cheaper to get the EX freedom with the locks, ability to use up to 4.5" tire bikes and also having the tilt ability all included. Just thought I'd let you guys know...

You can see the Saris Freedom EX 2 bike rack in action here:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Saris/SA4412F.html

Last edited:
The only thing I didn't like about my Saris rack was it was only two bolts holding the arm on the rack for the (e)bikes. Large Allen key, adjustable wrench, or vice grips and you could remove the entire arm with the ebikes attached. I ended up getting a 14mm Xena bike chain to connect the ebike(s) to one of the metal loops near the 2" hitch. I only use the chain if I'm going out of town and the ebikes have to stay on the hitch overnight (also add addition D-locks, cable locks, and put on a bike cover at a hotel).

The only thing I didn't like about my Saris rack was it was only two bolts holding the arm on the rack for the (e)bikes. Large Allen key, adjustable wrench, or vice grips and you could remove the entire arm with the ebikes attached. I ended up getting a 14mm Xena bike chain to connect the ebike(s) to one of the metal loops near the 2" hitch. I only use the chain if I'm going out of town and the ebikes have to stay on the hitch overnight (also add addition D-locks, cable locks, and put on a bike cover at a hotel).
I agree. That is why I was going to buy the saris hitch lock and the saris bike lock anyways to secure them. Thankfully, both came with the EX version.

I agree. That is why I was going to buy the saris hitch lock and the saris bike lock anyways to secure them. Thankfully, both came with the EX version.

I don't know if Saris updated the cable bike lock design? My cables for the bikes were located on the ends of the platform rack arm with a lock mechanism in the center. The bikes will still be cable locked to the platform rack arm once you remove the two bolts holding the the rest of bike rack as you toss the whole thing in the back of a pick-up.

I don't know if Saris updated the cable bike lock design? My cables for the bikes were located on the ends of the platform rack arm with a lock mechanism in the center. The bikes will still be cable locked to the platform rack arm once you remove the two bolts holding the the rest of bike rack as you toss the whole thing in the back of a pick-up.
I will let you know for sure once I get it, but based on the few bits and pieces that I read and pictures that I've seen my understanding is that the saris bike lock cable secures the bikes to the horizontal platform bar not the vertical arm... here is a picture showing the cable via a special location thru the end of the horizontal bar (these are the wheel trays in the picture)... I'll let you know for sure once I have the bike rack.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 467
If you're on a budget, Amazon has a 500 lb-rated motorcycle hitch rack that works great, including bikes with step-thru frames. I've been carrying my 55 lb eBike on it for 3 years and modified the ramp holder to carry a second eBike. The price is $98. It weighs 50 lbs and requires some assembly, but the build quality is very good. On Amazon, search "Best Choice Products SKY1375 hitch mount carrier with ramp"

Last edited:
I have a Hollywood rack I bought from etrailer . I have been very happy with the Hollywood rack. I also bought my trailer hitch from etrailer. They are excellant.

I have a Hollywood rack I bought from etrailer . I have been very happy with the Hollywood rack. I also bought my trailer hitch from etrailer. They are excellant.

Yes. I purchased my hitch assembly from etrailer and installed myself. Was a bit of a challenge under the vehicle trying to remove rust from the pre-threaded contact points before securing to the underside of the vehicle. It has been holding up well for many years since the completed installation.
etrailer has been helpful with accessories as well for racks etc. Good place to shop and good C/S.

I had this 3 bike hitch mount carrier before I had ebikes, and have continued to use it to carry my 2 ebikes (I leave the middle spot empty). There are many things I like about this rack. It has lots of adjustability, it is easy to load and unload the bikes, works well with step thru's and step over bikes, does not mar or damage the bike frames. The only problem with it is the 100 # maximum capacity. I remove the batteries from my bikes when carrying, so that gets my two ebikes down to just under 100#. The unit seems to be very sturdy and well built, and I suspect you might be able to safely go a few pounds above the 100# limit, but I am sure the manufacturer would not sanction or warrant overloading it.

https://www.discountramps.com/wheel-mount-bike-rack/p/BC-3581/

Attachments

• BC-3581.jpg
    BC-3581.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
If you're on a budget, Amazon has a 500 lb-rated motorcycle hitch rack that works great. I've been carrying my 55 lb eBike on it for 3 years and modified the ramp holder to carry a second eBike. The price is $98. It weighs 50 lbs and requires some assembly, but the build quality is very good. On Amazon, search "Best Choice Products SKY1375 hitch mount carrier with ramp"
Thanks for this tip. I think you're on the right track certainly for me. A single bike carrier and looking at the motorcycle carriers I think this is where I'm going to find what I'm looking for. Greatly appreciate it :)

I was issued a Hollywood Bike Rack for my Model S Step-thru ebike from the electric bike company. It comes with an adapter for step through bikes.

I have not used it yet because I don't have the adapter for it yet. In looking at it, it has velcro that holds the tires in the receivers. Some other models have heavier material.

I'm thankful for the bike rack though. Can't wait to use it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-29-23-46-04.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-29-23-46-04.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 469
I was issued a Hollywood Bike Rack for my Model S Step-thru ebike from the electric bike company. It comes with an adapter for step through bikes.

I have not used it yet because I don't have the adapter for it yet. In looking at it, it has velcro that holds the tires in the receivers. Some other models have heavier material.

I'm thankful for the bike rack though. Can't wait to use it.

whonderfulgrace-Welcome! Adapter for step through bikes is a great add on. We have used it for various bikes and it works great for the racks that have the sliding hooks that press and point down on the top tube.

I am happy with the 2018 version of the Thule EasyFold XT 2 hitch rack. It is a bit expensive but I like the features: 1) lockable rack arms and receiver; 2) foldable for easy storage in the house or in the car; 3) caster wheels to ease storage (started in 2018); 4) foldable ramp to help load and unload the bikes (see video); and 5) tiltable to access back trunk. I chose the Thule because I have back issues and have difficulty loading and unloading the heavy ebikes.

Attachments

• Rook on Thule rack.jpg
    Rook on Thule rack.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 682
  • Thule rack.jpg
    Thule rack.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 555
New to this E-bike stuff, but got 1 (soon 2) Msgnum Metro's, with a Hollywood 3500 rack for back of motorhome. Really like it, but have nothing to compare it to. Only the tires are made contact with. Will attempt to attach pic....

Attachments

• 20181110_142243.jpg
    20181110_142243.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 566
Back