Bees and My Bike and Dust

Cowlitz

I put my bike in the truck and hauled it up to the woods and fresh air. We're getting a lot of smoke from fires. Got done riding and was trying to fold up my Radmini and was pestered by what we call bees, they are little yellowjackets that can sting. They seemed attracted by the electronic readout and controls. I finally gave up and put the bike in the pickup without folding it up as the bees were too annoying. They get grumpier as fall gets closer and can get nasty.

A question on another topic: Dust. I wasn't paying attention to the road and found myself going through a dust patch where the dust is poofy and a few inches deep. Should I be using a compressor to blow off any parts of my bike?

I live and ride in an extremely dusty environment, which means that I need to hose the bike off and clean and lubricate the chain every other day.

Speaking of fires, at this point I have three large fires within two dozen miles of me. The joys of living in the wildland-urban interface.

Speaking of bees, the worst is when you hit one while riding and it stings you. Usually someplace sensitive like your scalp line.

Yes, @Cowlitz, use a compresser rather than a hose to knock off the initial dust. Afterwards, clean with a rag & soapy water. Windex or a generic equivalent or a non-toxic cleaner are handy for getting some grease off the frame. Your chain will need to be cleaned & lubed to prevent excessive wear to the drivechain components.

Agree with Mr. Coffee on the bees! Had the experience of riding to work one day and saw a whole hive of bees coming straight at me. Got lucky, the group just opened up and let me through without a sting. That was an adrenaline rush for sure!

Thanks. Everywhere not paved is dusty here. I live in the next valley east of Mr. Coffee. I drove to the NE about 50 miles yesterday and got out of the smoke, but not the dust, or bees. Have heard it is a "bad" year for bees in the woods. I will practice folding up my bike without the help of bees. I found using a chainsaw tool--bar wrench for more leverage allowed me to get the handlebar release to release without bashing fingers. The fold up levers seem to be adjusted for muscle bound steroid users!:)

Back