Battery indicator stays reading 100% until out of power

Howie

Region
USA
No matter what I do or how far I ride, the battery indicator reads 100%. Until the bike runs out of juice, of course, and leaves me stranded 12 miles from home. The little icon that looks like a tiny battery stays full and doesn't decrease as it normally should while putting on miles. It doesn't matter if I switch it to voltage instead of percentage, it still stays full. So now I can't ride more than 40 miles without getting real nervous. Puts a real damper on things. I've disconnected and reconnected every wire. Several times at this point. I tried resetting the parameters in the bluetooth app. Drained the battery to zero, then disconnected it. Left it a few hours and reconnected it. Charged it back up. Same problem. I've searched every forum and read every thread. Nothing. Can't fix the problem. And it turns a normal ride into a really stressful event, worrying if I'm gonna run out of juice and get stranded (AGAIN!). It's too unreliable to be a dependable mode of transportation, which is why I bought it, in the first place. Got it in January and I've had nothing but problems in the 200 miles it's been ridden so far. This thing weighs about 160 lbs and at 46 years old I can't keep pushing this f*#ker up hills when it craps out on me. And we all know the pedals are useless. Any clues?

It's a stealth bomber Chinese clone I got off of ebay with a rear hub motor. 72v. 8000w. Panasonic battery. Sabvoton controller. Hkc-01 display.

This is probably no help but i am guessing your display is set for 48 or 52 and not a 72v
not sure there are many 72v displays
I know that can be changed on some bafang bikes but cannot remember if that is in the display or the app

My bet would be similar to Vincent's. That 72v battery is likely the source of your evil. The display is not set up for it, and may not be able to be set up for it. You need to look further into it's capabilities to see if it's even able...

Part may also be a heat issue with the controller. If you're riding like a motorcycle up lots of hills at high speed, you could easily be asking for more than those components are able to handle. Taking a battery to zero can easily reduce the life expectancy. You don't need a meter to tell you when know the battery is empty. If it's almost dead at 40 miles, you better be in your driveway or at your truck at 40 miles. It's not mystical.

This is probably no help but i am guessing your display is set for 48 or 52 and not a 72v
not sure there are many 72v displays
I know that can be changed on some bafang bikes but cannot remember if that is in the display or the app
Thanks for the suggestion

My bet would be similar to Vincent's. That 72v battery is likely the source of your evil. The display is not set up for it, and may not be able to be set up for it. You need to look further into it's capabilities to see if it's even able...
Thanks for that suggestion
Part may also be a heat issue with the controller. If you're riding like a motorcycle up lots of hills at high speed, you could easily be asking for more than those components are able to handle. Taking a battery to zero can easily reduce the life expectancy. You don't need a meter to tell you when know the battery is empty. If it's almost dead at 40 miles, you better be in your driveway or at your truck at 40 miles. It's not mystical.
Yes! Heat has been an issue with this bike previously. I do ride it like a motorcycle. It's kinda pointless otherwise. And it doesn't help I'm in Southern California. But I can feel the case is pretty warm in there during a ride for sure. Yup, you nailed it. There's a bunch of hills on my ride and I am hammering down on that throttle to get up them sometimes. Do you have any suggestions on cooling it down or what I can do to remedy this, while still being able to ride it the way I need to? And when you say heat issue with the controller, do you think I fried something and that is the cause of the faulty battery life indicator?

Back