Battery Cost: $1,299

This issue is moot for me. I purchased a Sondors MXS and got it this week (based on the review on this wonderful site). I did look into getting my old bike's batteries rebuilt. Thought it was a little pricey.

Another option for replacement batteries is getting the case repackaged with new batteries. You can choose the cells you want and the cost is less than half of what a new factory unit costs. There are many shops doing this now.
Please do share the names of these shops. I’m interested to know.

This issue is moot for me. I purchased a Sondors MXS and got it this week (based on the review on this wonderful site). I did look into getting my old bike's batteries rebuilt. Thought it was a little pricey.
As you and @Asher surmised, the Sondors batteries are priced opposite the usual manufacturer strategy on proprietary packs: They are almost too cheap to be believed. A 48v 17.5ah triangle battery is priced at $399. Inside, they typically use either LG or Samsung cells. You can tell by reading the label on the side of the pack. Best guess in the Sondors community as to why the packs are so cheap is either that Storm Sondors is a true believer in ebikes (he is) or he is trying to be disruptive in their pricing as he was with the bikes originally, or the company was trying to kill off the aftermarket battery suppliers that were making a killing upgrading to 20ah triangles from the old 8-11ah bottles they originally used. Since those guys are mostly all gone and its been years, and the prices never increased... its anyone's guess what the real story is.

There is no such thing as a free lunch though. Pop open one of these cases and you will see lots of free space inside. So not space efficient for small triangles. But more of interest is the fact these packs are meant to be used with 25a controllers, so they have a 30-35a continuous BMS and thats it. Also they use an output plug that is not unique but is tough to get on the open market. Its not as easy as cutting off the wires and splicing on an xt60 because the plug is flush mount to the case. Lastly the charge input is your basic 2.5mm pin so you are going to be charging at 2-3a tops.

But if you are handy and budget is critical, its hard to find a pack with name-brand cells for this kind of money.

As you and @Asher surmised, the Sondors batteries are priced opposite the usual manufacturer strategy on proprietary packs: They are almost too cheap to be believed. A 48v 17.5ah triangle battery is priced at $399. Inside, they typically use either LG or Samsung cells. You can tell by reading the label on the side of the pack. Best guess in the Sondors community as to why the packs are so cheap is either that Storm Sondors is a true believer in ebikes (he is) or he is trying to be disruptive in their pricing as he was with the bikes originally, or the company was trying to kill off the aftermarket battery suppliers that were making a killing upgrading to 20ah triangles from the old 8-11ah bottles they originally used. Since those guys are mostly all gone and its been years, and the prices never increased... its anyone's guess what the real story is.

There is no such thing as a free lunch though. Pop open one of these cases and you will see lots of free space inside. So not space efficient for small triangles. But more of interest is the fact these packs are meant to be used with 25a controllers, so they have a 30-35a continuous BMS and thats it. Also they use an output plug that is not unique but is tough to get on the open market. Its not as easy as cutting off the wires and splicing on an xt60 because the plug is flush mount to the case. Lastly the charge input is your basic 2.5mm pin so you are going to be charging at 2-3a tops.

But if you are handy and budget is critical, its hard to find a pack with name-brand cells for this kind of money.
This bike is really nice. I'm thinking Sondors is a pretty great guy. Maybe the Elon Musk of two wheels. His new motorcycle is amazing for the price.

Wonder why Sparkbikes would go out of business an then Rize appears and appears to be connected. I like the Rize a lot. But they have to stay in business or you are screwed. For electric vehicles to be viable, at some point there has to be a standard battery that you could exchange at charging stores. That way a company going out of business doesn't end your bike. My direct drive has no lurch at all on the flats. But, there has been times when I've been taken it into the mountains that there has been lurches that almost caused a bad trip down the mountain. Lurching is really dangerous at the wrong moment in the hills.
One of the best things about Rize, for me is that there is no proprietary formula. Everything is off the shelf. I can buy everything for this bike elsewhere. With the Bafang motor, you can customize it completely. It’s quite tunable

This bike is really nice. I'm thinking Sondors is a pretty great guy. Maybe the Elon Musk of two wheels. His new motorcycle is amazing for the price.
I had an Original (the very first fatty with the bottle battery) and when they came out with the MXS I thought it was what the Thin should have been all along. Thats the most versatile bike they ever produced, and one hell of a value if you tally up all the parts. If I hadn't gone on to go and build my own bikes frame-up I would have bought one myself.

One of the best things about Rize, for me is that there is no proprietary formula. Everything is off the shelf. I can buy everything for this bike elsewhere. With the Bafang motor, you can customize it completely. It’s quite tunable
Rize looks really nice. Their batteries were a little high for me. I came close to getting one.

I had an Original (the very first fatty with the bottle battery) and when they came out with the MXS I thought it was what the Thin should have been all along. Thats the most versatile bike they ever produced, and one hell of a value if you tally up all the parts. If I hadn't gone on to go and build my own bikes frame-up I would have bought one myself.
Their new mid-drives are really, really nice. Came close to doing the LX instead. But, I'm an old guy. Don't want to be shifting instead of watching for cliffs and traffic...

Just bought an extra battery based on your conjecture that Sondors might be trying to kill the competition. Prices may be going up.

Just bought an extra battery based on your conjecture that Sondors might be trying to kill the competition. Prices may be going up.
Good thinking. I stocked up on batteries just before the high-end cells disappeared. Cell quality makes all the difference. It is amazing. Once you taste the stuff from the top shelf there it no going back.

Good thinking. I stocked up on batteries just before the high-end cells disappeared. Cell quality makes all the difference. It is amazing. Once you taste the stuff from the top shelf there it no going back.
Yes we are all now current addicts...

Yes we are all now current addicts...
I just made this one a mid-drive. These are Samsung Cells. It is an old Marin Hwy One. And it kicks buttt even though it has a lot of extra stuff on it like a big gel saddle and a kickstand. It came in at 32.2 pounds as it is. Changing the saddle and dropping the kickstand took 1.6 pounds off it. Weight is 46/54 front to rear.

Attachments

• 31.5Bike03.JPG
    31.5Bike03.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 31.5Bike04.JPG
    31.5Bike04.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 31.5Bike05.JPG
    31.5Bike05.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 31.5Bike06.JPG
    31.5Bike06.JPG
    383.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 31.5Bike07.JPG
    31.5Bike07.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 31.5Bike01.JPG
    31.5Bike01.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 227
  • 31.5Bike02.JPG
    31.5Bike02.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 244
I just made this one a mid-drive. These are Samsung Cells. It is an old Marin Hwy One. And it kicks buttt even though it has a lot of extra stuff on it like a big gel saddle and a kickstand. It came in at 32.2 pounds as it is. Changing the saddle and dropping the kickstand took 1.6 pounds off it. Weight is 46/54 front to rear.
Oddly enough, I have an old Marin. She's a beauty. I would love to do that to mine. Please post photos of the finished product. How hard would it be to do that to my bike?

Oddly enough, I have an old Marin. She's a beauty. I would love to do that to mine. Please post photos of the finished product. How hard would it be to do that to my bike?
That is the finished product! The amazing kick butt cells are in the thing that looks like a water bottle. See the wire to the mid-drive?
Check out PedalUma.com to see more photos and details. The hard part is making it clean.

Attachments

• DSCF7476.JPG
    DSCF7476.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCF7488.JPG
    DSCF7488.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 254
That is the finished product! The amazing kick butt cells are in the thing that looks like a water bottle. See the wire to the mid-drive?
Check out PedalUma.com to see more photos and details. The hard part is making it clean.
I am going to PedalUma.com right now...

Not 'may be going up'. 'Are going up' :-( . I have three packs ordered right now myself.

I heard about one seller (Electro Bike World) jacking up their prices big time (their L3 20ah Sondors Original pack went from 599 to 719). A little poking around and word I heard was this was tip of the iceberg. I got my order in at Bicycle Motor Works just before he raised prices on his 25R packs (the ones I bought went from 369 to 419). Talking to him afterwards on my third pack - a custom build - he gave me some details and basically ... yeah if you want a pack now you aren't doing yourself any favors by waiting as prices are going up.

Interestingly his prices on 40T packs (21700) are low. A 16ah 14S4P is 439. A 15ah 14S6P 30Q is 539. Apparently he has good stock / availability on the 40T cell.

Back