Battery charging

woofdog

Region
Canada
Hyper e-,bike.
Connect charger to battery and then connect charger to wall outlet,?
Or connect charger to wall outlet and then connect to battery,?
The reason I ask is because connecting to wall outlet and then to battery produces spark at battery

Also I want to use smart phone, Alexa and smart plug to control charger.
Thanks

If you plug the charger in to the wall first, you may be greeted with a enormous BANG and a flash big enough where it seems like a lightning bolt when you plug the charger into the bike. You only do that once....
From then on you plug the charger into the bike, then into the wall.....

Can't help you with the other stuff.

If you plug the charger in to the wall first, you may be greeted with a enormous BANG and a flash big enough where it seems like a lightning bolt when you plug the charger into the bike. You only do that once....
From then on you plug the charger into the bike, then into the wall.....

Can't help you with the other stuff.
The Hyper manual actually says to plug the charger into the wall outlet first. But then when I connect to the battery, there is a small spark. I am sure if I plug the charger into the wall outlet in the dark, I might see a small spark at the wall outlet.
I have been connecting to battery first and then to wall outlet.
Hyper responded today saying there should be no problem connecting to battery first contrary to owners manual.
So now I leave the charger connected to the battery through a smart plug and control charging by way of the smart phone.
Thanks.

Ever notice that 'Smart Phones' make people the opposite of smart? I see that ever day. Battery first, wall second. Always. A spark at the wall is AC and is safe. It is also 60Hz brief and away from the bike. I tried to top off at battery wall first and fried the connection in the battery with a welding spark. That is how I learn best. From my F-Ups. I wonder how @AHicks knows, listen to that guy.

If the manual/company say to do wall first, then you are warranty safe.
That said, I don't like sparks unless they are on my birthday cake.
You should contact them with your query. Sounds questionable to me.

The idea of the smart phone and smart plug is a matter of convenience. Especially for older people
with mobility issues. Battery is always connected.
Cuts down on those trips up and down those stairs. Meanwhile for communication, my trusty old dumb Sony flip phone works fine.

It is only when the battery is almost fully charged that causes a big spark with wall-first. Friends and fellows, don't do that. I was trying to sell a particular bike that day to a highly interested buyer. But messed up when wanting to pump it up to the top before a test ride. Zap. 1 battery, 2 wall. Never again for me. A landline at my workshop works. No distracting texts anytime, while listening to messages only when I want to listen. Freedom.

It is only when the battery is almost fully charged that causes a big spark with wall-first. Friends and fellows, don't do that. I was trying to sell a particular bike that day to a highly interested buyer. But messed up when wanting to pump it up to the top before a test ride. Zap. 1 battery, 2 wall. Never again for me. A landline at my workshop works. No distracting texts anytime, while listening to messages only when I want to listen. Freedom.
Sadly, copper based land lines are going away quickly.
You'll be moved/forced into SIP gateways soon.
No telecom company wants to support copper based lines be they single residential/business, or even digital services such as PRI.
It's over.
(I'm a phone guy)

So now I leave the charger connected to the battery through a smart plug and control charging by way of the smart phone.
Thanks.
I agree 100%. Make all manual connections without current. Then turn the smart plug “on“ via its external switch or via my phone. And set an “off” timer. Much safer for everything in the circuit.

No telecom company wants to support copper based lines be they single residential/business, or even digital services such as PRI.
It's over.
(I'm a phone guy)
Yep. Southern NJ. They were told to go to IP home phone via Fiber, or Comcast via cable. You can forward your old tele number.

Yep. Southern NJ. They were told to go to IP home phone via Fiber, or Comcast via cable. You can forward your old tele number.
Yes, it was written on the wall 5+ years ago.
There will be areas that will remain with copper for a while but only because high speed internet is not widely available yet.
Fibre is king.

Battery is always connected.
FYI, some manufacturers (like Bosch) recommend unplugging the charger after the battery is fully charged. The Bosch smart charging system is always checking the battery charge and will unnecessarily trickle/re-charge the battery which they do not recommend for lithium. A smart plug or timer or unplugging is recommended. Check with your manufacturer for best practice.

If the manual/company say to do wall first, then you are warranty safe.
That said, I don't like sparks unless they are on my birthday cake.
You should contact them with your query. Sounds questionable to me.
I did mention that I contacted Hyper and was told that it was okay to connect to battery first and then wall. I suspect that the owner manual info was incorrect.

At one time I was a B to B exec at the largest telecom/datacom company. That is why a twisted pair has such appeal at my workshop. That company tracked my location, communications and movements. An EBR psycho troll left an incoherent drunken timestamped message on the shop's copper based answering device at 5AM yesterday. I would not have liked that to be picked up. @woofdog, It is good to get that confirmation from Hyper.

FYI, some manufacturers (like Bosch) recommend unplugging the charger after the battery is fully charged. The Bosch smart charging system is always checking the battery charge and will unnecessarily trickle/re-charge the battery which they do not recommend for lithium. A smart plug or timer or unplugging is recommended. Check with your manufacturer for best practice.
Right, with one exception, when balance charging, you want to leave the charger on after a full charge for up to 15-20 hours.
You want to balance charge your battery pack for safety and maintenance.

Just bought a new replacement charger for my Juiced crosscurrent X after the 2nd "official" charger died on me. I got this one

Plugged into the battery first, then the wall, and got a nice little spark.

What is the proper way to do this? Looks like from this thread if I reverse the process (wall first, then battery) for plugging in, it would spark at the battery, which sounds like its worse.

Is there a way to use this charger without a spark? If not, this is definitely a return.

All my chargers spark, I guess they don't have suppressors built in, Its pretty simple, you can buy them for a few dollars, but need fitting.
I've never had an issue, its not repeated enough to damage the contacts in the batteries lifetime, but can affect more speciality controllers

XT power connectors have them built in.

Some sparking is normal, regardless of which is plugged in first. Keep in mind that those sparks generate heat which over time, can damage the plug. It's fairly easy to replace the A/C plug on a charger, but replacing the connectors on the battery is far more difficult.

Keep the spark away from the battery. Plug into the battery first and the safe alternating current wall last.

It's over.
(I'm a phone guy)

Copper rules, digital sucks. Audio quality is way degraded, dropouts, random misconnections, no ring, no dial tone. Also doesn't work after an earthquake.

FCC should mandate preserving copper as an option. The irony is, in my neighborhood, the digital service we are forced to use has a pitifully slow bandwidth anyway.

Back