Baramind suspension handlebar - softening the ride

I'm so glad your wife liked it! With the properly oriented bars, I'm more than happy now. The Baramind BAM handlebars are indeed a viable alternative to suspension stems! (Especially as there happen situations in which you simply cannot replace the stem).

I have had the Baramind City on my TrekAllant 9.9s since it was new in the spring of 2020. Coming from a cushy, heavy, full suspension Riese & Muller Homage to a hard tail, fixed fork bike, the Baramind bar combined with the SQ Labs 710 grips and the Kinket Body Float suspension seat post make the Allant nearly as comfortable as the Riesse & Muller, but weighs 25 pounds less.

Now with 2,700 miles on it, the Allant remains a pleasure to ride on long ride, giving both comfort and speed.

20200322_101818.jpg

I have had the Baramind City on my TrekAllant 9.9s since it was new in the spring of 2020. Coming from a cushy, heavy, full suspension Riese & Muller Homage to a hard tail, fixed fork bike, the Baramind bar combined with the SQ Labs 710 grips and the Kinket Body Float suspension seat post make the Allant nearly as comfortable as the Riesse & Muller, but weighs 25 pounds less.

Now with 2,700 miles on it, the Allant remains a pleasure to ride on long ride, giving both comfort and speed.
Hi Alaskan,

I'm also interested in the Baramind handlebar but somewhere I read that it limits the usable space on the handlebar because of the stripes which are needed to prevent upward movement of the bar.
I see that you have quite of accessories on the handlebar. Does it mean that you can actually install accessories the same way as a standard handlebar? How much space is left for mounting accessories on the center and at the sides?
Currently I don't have much stuff, just an SP connect mount at the center, near the stem, then a bell and a mirror on the left side; of course there are also brakes and shift levers. I'm planning to add a light and a bag.

Thanks for the picture anyway.

I'm so glad your wife liked it! With the properly oriented bars, I'm more than happy now. The Baramind BAM handlebars are indeed a viable alternative to suspension stems! (Especially as there happen situations in which you simply cannot replace the stem).
Hi Stefan, being able to chose between a suspension stem (redshift) or the baramind handlebar, which would you suggest in terms of comfort?
I think the baramind is cheaper and I hope also lighter and less visible than a suspension stem, isn't it?

Hi Alaskan,

I'm also interested in the Baramind handlebar but somewhere I read that it limits the usable space on the handlebar because of the stripes which are needed to prevent upward movement of the bar.
I see that you have quite of accessories on the handlebar. Does it mean that you can actually install accessories the same way as a standard handlebar? How much space is left for mounting accessories on the center and at the sides?
Currently I don't have much stuff, just an SP connect mount at the center, near the stem, then a bell and a mirror on the left side; of course there are also brakes and shift levers. I'm planning to add a light and a bag.

Thanks for the picture anyway.
Sadly, Alaskan passed away a while back.

Hi Stefan, being able to chose between a suspension stem (redshift) or the baramind handlebar, which would you suggest in terms of comfort?
I think the baramind is cheaper and I hope also lighter and less visible than a suspension stem, isn't it?
Redshift and only Redshift. I still have the Baramind bars on my big Vado but now I realize these do not provide as much of the vertical compliance as I initially thought!

kinekt and only kinekt.... unless you can get FutureShock on your bike.
Thanks for the suggestion about Kinekt. I see it has slightly more favorable reviews than the redshift but they look pretty close: do you think it is way superior?

The FutureShock version of my bike was about 40% more expensive and I was not convinced to get a proprietary, non-removable stuff in my bike.
After 2years of dreaming of electric bikes, in the end I recently bought a non-electric Sirrus X and I didn't want anything on it which could turn into an issue in 20 years.

I think the motion on the Kinekt is superior to Redshift, but depending on terrain, the vibration frequency, and the hand positions one might make a different choice.

a non-electric Sirrus X
I'm dreaming of this bicycle. Unfortunately, my legs won't be any better they are now.

I think the motion on the Kinekt is superior to Redshift
That's a very personal thing. The major feature of the Redshift is the road/gravel version can be flipped +/-6 degrees, which is very important to me.

1711143453798.png

I have got an additional benefit from using the Redshift stem when I installed Innerbarends. The latter change the handlebars' characteristic to be quite similar to riding drop-bar "hoods". It actually required adding another elastomer piece (provided) to treat the handlebars as if they were drop bars. Notice the stem is slammed & flipped here.

The FutureShock version of my bike was about 40% more expensive and I was not convinced to get a proprietary, non-removable stuff in my bike.
40% is crazy! Yes unfortunately all the major brands have various lock in techniques. 5% would already be pushing it, but at 5% if i was already buying the bike i would go for it.

To me it feels like the best tech, just judging performance, but i'm not into lock in on my bikes; i have to put up with it in other things, bikes are freedom. 😊

Back