Bafang REAR HUB motor programming

toadsprocket

Region
USA
Hello,

I recently got Biktrix juggernaut rear HUB drive ebike. It uses a 750 watt Bafang HUB drive motor.

Can I get a cable to re program this? I was only able to find programming cables for Bafang mid drive motors.

Thank you.

The Bafang controllers that use a cable are mid drive only.

What kind of display do you have? This one?
If so, you an download a manual from Biktrix.

LCD Display
Thank you. Yes. I have that display. I know how to adjust things there but I don’t believe you can adjust motor response per power level using the display. I thought a cable may allow one to re program the motor amount used per level but I cannot find a cable like that for a Bafang hub drive. I can only find cables to program the Bafang mid drive motors. Not sure why.

That's because the controller is not programmable.
I don't know exactly which one Biktrix use, but hub drive controllers usually look something like this.
It doesn't have USB (or any communication port).
Greenpedel 36V 48V 22A 9 Mosfet Square Wave Waterproof Ebike Controller -  China Other Electric Bike Parts, Controller | Made-in-China.com

Unless you get something like Grin Phaserunner, you won't have much adjustability.
@Timpo thanks for that. I will call them and look into this some although 1. I saw they don’t have any until summer 2022. 2. Not sure how expensive it would be. 3. Not sure I could do the changes necessary. 4. Not sure this would work with the bike/motor I have.

Timpo mentions it, but I'll come right out and say it. The controllers used for Bafang hub drives are generally supplied by a 3rd party. Unfortunately, most have very little in the way of customization possible when it comes to configuring performance attributes.

It's not until you get into the aftermarket controllers that you find parameters that can be set to your preferences. Timpo mentions the Grin controller, but unfortunately they force the use of this display that looks like something out of the '60's. My preference is the KT (AKA Kunteng (sp?)) controllers and displays. Available in lots of capacities and formats, from sources all over the place. Just know that a KT controller requires the use of a KT display. 150. tops for both the controller and display.

Grin controller, but unfortunately they force the use of this display that looks like something out of the '60's.
Oh, there you go again.;)
Nicer looking than the mirror reflection?

Timpo mentions it, but I'll come right out and say it. The controllers used for Bafang hub drives are generally supplied by a 3rd party. Unfortunately, most have very little in the way of customization possible when it comes to configuring performance attributes.

It's not until you get into the aftermarket controllers that you find parameters that can be set to your preferences. Timpo mentions the Grin controller, but unfortunately they force the use of this display that looks like something out of the '60's. My preference is the KT (AKA Kunteng (sp?)) controllers and displays. Available in lots of capacities and formats, from sources all over the place. Just know that a KT controller requires the use of a KT display. 150. tops for both the controller and display.
I was reading this:

Which controller and display to choose?​

The Bafang hub motor often comes in two different kit types. One with a sinewave controller and P850C display or one with a blockwave controller and a KT-display. Which option is most suited for you depends on your preference. A sinewave controller is always better than a blockwave controller because the motor runs quieter and smoother with a sinewave controller. The sinewave controller however always comes with a P850C display. It’s a really nice display, but it lacks in the number of settings you can change. Your bike will be less configurable than with a KT-style controller/display. The problem is that the KT-displays always come with a blockwave controller. So this isn’t ideal either.

• ebike Controller connections
    Sinewave controller, waterproof connectors
  • blockwave ebike controller
    Blockwave controller, non-waterproof connectors

Best option

In my opinion, the best combination would be a sinewave controller with a KT-display. There are however no sellers that currently sell this combination. Because of that, I would still go for the P850C display in combination with the sinewave controller. It will give less flexibility but the display does look nicer and the sinewave controller will make your bike drive more pleasantly.

• Kt-lcd3 display
    KT-LCD3 Display
  • P850C display

Telling people that KT sells only "block wave" (I'm assuming he means square wave) controllers is a fact born in fantasy land. Total absolute crap. To be honest, when compared to square wave, the sine wave controller is MUCH more desirable (he does have that right). Depending on the hub motor, square wave controllers often make their presence known by noisy acceleration, especially from a stop. Sine wave are generally silent.

Another "fact" he's collected in fantasy land is that 850C displays come with sine wave controllers. To MY knowledge, an 850C won't even work with a KT controller, square wave or sine wave. KT controllers use KT displays, period. Bottom line, I don't know who this vendor is, but I'd be pretty careful dealing with him.... Maybe though, he's just talking about the kits HE sells?

To help separate fact from fiction, when looking at a KT controller, the first 2 characters of the model number are going to be "KT", no exceptions.
The next 2 are usually "48"
The next 3 characters tell you if it's a sine wave "SVP" or square wave "ZWS"

Last, the KT LCD8 display is easily as nice as the 850, but both are generally better examples of what can be done with a LATE MODEL display, and when compared to the Grin offering makes the Grin look silly. Thomas is pro Grin, and you'll need to excuse us while we're poking fun at each other. We've had a long standing debate/rivalry on this topic. Note that when operated in direct sunlight, the color displays have a tendency to wash out. Some are worse than others, but the KT LCD8 and Bafang 850C are 2 of the better examples. In this regard, the LCD3 stands out in it's ability to be seen in any daylight.

What's wrong with the Biktrix that you need to program it? Are the PAS levels too strong for low speed riding? Always been the case for Bafang designs, Whoever did their BBS02/BBSHD mid drives at least left it possible for users to mess with the settings.

What's wrong with the Biktrix that you need to program it? Are the PAS levels too strong for low speed riding? Always been the case for Bafang designs, Whoever did their BBS02/BBSHD mid drives at least left it possible for users to mess with the settings.
Hi. Yes. It’s too strong in low levels. Comes on to easily and too fast. Would like to ride at a more leisurely pace in level 1 and maybe 2 with less assistance.

Telling people that KT sells only "block wave" (I'm assuming he means square wave) controllers is a fact born in fantasy land. Total absolute crap. To be honest, when compared to square wave, the sine wave controller is MUCH more desirable (he does have that right). Depending on the hub motor, square wave controllers often make their presence known by noisy acceleration, especially from a stop. Sine wave are generally silent.

Another "fact" he's collected in fantasy land is that 850C displays come with sine wave controllers. To MY knowledge, an 850C won't even work with a KT controller, square wave or sine wave. KT controllers use KT displays, period. Bottom line, I don't know who this vendor is, but I'd be pretty careful dealing with him.... Maybe though, he's just talking about the kits HE sells?

To help separate fact from fiction, when looking at a KT controller, the first 2 characters of the model number are going to be "KT", no exceptions.
The next 2 are usually "48"
The next 3 characters tell you if it's a sine wave "SVP" or square wave "ZWS"

Last, the KT LCD8 display is easily as nice as the 850, but both are generally better examples of what can be done with a LATE MODEL display, and when compared to the Grin offering makes the Grin look silly. Thomas is pro Grin, and you'll need to excuse us while we're poking fun at each other. We've had a long standing debate/rivalry on this topic. Note that when operated in direct sunlight, the color displays have a tendency to wash out. Some are worse than others, but the KT LCD8 and Bafang 850C are 2 of the better examples. In this regard, the LCD3 stands out in it's ability to be seen in any daylight.
That info came from here. https://edrivenet.com/bafang-hub-motor-review/

Okay but is your stock Biktrix controller sinewave or squarewave? 🤔
I’m not totally sure but when re listening to a review of the juiced ripcurrent S on ebr I heard the reviewer (good job) tell me how the power comes on consistently for each assistance level at all speeds. The Biktrix shuts off assistance at a limit for each assistance level. The bike is new to me. For many years I had a stromer st v1. I enjoyed the feeling of the motor responsiveness. It was stolen and I was looking for a new bike. I was leaning toward the juiced but my wife thought the biktrix was more attractive and wanted it. I’m also bummed it only gets to 25 mph where I heard in the review that the juiced will easily get to and hold 28mph. I don’t really want 4 inch tires though and Biktrix’s offered 3 inch. Still looking for a bike for me. Looking again at used stromers.

I’m not totally sure but when re listening to a review of the juiced ripcurrent S on ebr I heard the reviewer (good job) tell me how the power comes on consistently for each assistance level at all speeds. The Biktrix shuts off assistance at a limit for each assistance level. The bike is new to me. For many years I had a stromer st v1. I enjoyed the feeling of the motor responsiveness. It was stolen and I was looking for a new bike. I was leaning toward the juiced but my wife thought the biktrix was more attractive and wanted it. I’m also bummed it only gets to 25 mph where I heard in the review that the juiced will easily get to and hold 28mph. I don’t really want 4 inch tires though and Biktrix’s offered 3 inch. Still looking for a bike for me. Looking again at used stromers.
Biktrix juggernaut hub duo said 85nm torque when I bought it 2 weeks ago. Now it says 80nm torque? Do you think they had a typo?

Whatever new bike you choose, pick one with a torque versus cadence sensor. I have a 500W Bafang hub drive on my iGo Outland Oka e FatBike. It came with a 36 point torque sensor and it performes very similar to a mid drive bike. Ive had a friends with mid drive bikes ride it and they are surprised at the performance. I did make one mod, changing the chain ring from 44 to 34 tooth, and the climbing performance improved greatly. "Only" 57 lbs too.

Last edited:
Hi. Yes. It’s too strong in low levels. Comes on to easily and too fast. Would like to ride at a more leisurely pace in level 1 and maybe 2 with less assistance.
Is this display able to switch the number of PAS levels? On those that can, some have reduced the issue you have by switching to 9 PAS levels.

Whatever new bike you choose, pick one with a torque versus cadence sensor. I have a 500W Bafang hub drive on my iGo Outland Oka e FatBike. It came with a 36 point torque sensor and it performes very similar to a mid drive bike. Ive had a friends with mid drive bikes ride it and they are surprised at the performance. I did make one mod, changing the chain ring from 44 to 34 tooth, and the climbing performance improved greatly. "Only" 57 lbs too.
Hi. The biktrix juggernaut hub duo has a torque sensor but I don’t feel it’s effects as much as I did on my old 2011 stromer

Back