Bad battery or safety feature?

The snow is finally going away and now flooding. Amazing how much water is in places in northern AZ that we've never seen before.
After a few weeks of sitting I tested the new battery against the old one.
Old battery still has more volts but i haven't charged either one since my ride
It was still cold outside so put 4 miles on old battery at #5 and throttle only
Started at 53 volts and ended at 51.5
ecotric old charged.jpg
ecotric old.jpg

Tried the new battery the same at #5 and throttle only.
Got to 8.6 miles and started to cut out just like the original junk battery did
It was down to 2 bars on full thottle
Made it home fine in #3 and started to do some pedaling lol
Started at 49.5 volts
Ended at 47.5
Ecotric says everything should be fine unless it got down to 44 volts
ecotric new charged.jpg
ecotric new.jpg

If both batteries are cutting out it may be the controller. Have you opened it up and checked to make sure the wires are plugged in tight? I went through that and had Ecotric send a new one. Turned out to be a bad battery. But since then, 3 years, no problem. My new battery is charging and working fine. Now have 50 miles on it. I carry the other one on the back rack. Back up is good!

I have not opened it up to avoid risk of warranty denial
The junk battery I did open it up and showed them the broken wire and chafed wire and they didn't care

I have not opened it up to avoid risk of warranty denial
The junk battery I did open it up and showed them the broken wire and chafed wire and they didn't care
They had me open it up and check the wires. I'm sure they won't care if you take a look. It's only about 4 screws. You will see a small silver box tucked inside. Pull it out and push in on the wires coming from it to the color coded connectors. be sure they are in good. Might get lucky. Just below the battery. Take the plate off and you will see the controller. It just sits there, not screwed down. There will be about ten wires coming from it to connectors. All are different colors but each matches their connector. These just plug together and can come apart. I added tape to mine after making sure they were all in tight. They sent me a new controller with a new battery 3 years ago. I swapped out the controller and battery and it's been perfect ever since. They will ask you to check that controller before sending another battery. It's simple. Just match the colors to one another.

Last edited:
I read your post after I got home and did not check the controller.
I did swap batteries around to each bike and both reacted the same.
I did open up my junk battery again since you got me wondering
I can't find anything wrong with connections.
I have 40.5 volts at the top of the battery and 33.4 at the bottom
But my charger won't do anything. Green light is on to say fully charged
junk1.jpg
junk2.jpg

I read your post after I got home and did not check the controller.
I did swap batteries around to each bike and both reacted the same.
I did open up my junk battery again since you got me wondering
I can't find anything wrong with connections.
I have 40.5 volts at the top of the battery and 33.4 at the bottom
But my charger won't do anything. Green light is on to say fully charged
View attachment 149770View attachment 149771
Wow, so neither battery will charge? Maybe the charger broke. I have no idea. I would try testing the batteries on another tester. For both to fail is pretty incredible. Especially the new one. Show Ecotric those photos. I would double check the tester and the charger. If the charger light is green, does your bike screen show full? Come to think of it, when I first got this new battery last week and charged it, the charger light never would go from red to green. Yet, the screen showed it fully charged. I thought the charger broke. Then I rode it a few days and now it works fine. There is break in period for these batteries like Ecotric said. Maybe go riding and recharge a few times. May start charging all the way or you could have a bad charger.

Last edited:
I got in trouble lol.
It's the old battery and I told them that and I sent them a video
I will report back.
This was their reply,
You opened the battery? Please pack it back and check does the label on the battery split? If not, we still can offer the warranty to you.
And please follow our steps to take a video, then send it to us, do not take photos but video please.

I'd say that's a great offer. Once you open the battery it's game over on the warranty. It's stated in the warranty. Do what they want, get you a new battery and if it fails' which it should'nt, don't try to fix it, just contact Ecotric. Good luck. Sounds good.

They are sending me a new battery. White is all they have in stock but I'm good with that.
Fantastic! I actually think the white on black will look good. My Seagull is white but I have a black rack and front tool bag and all lights, camera, and other hardware is black. It looks good. Glad you got that worked out. Just in time for good weather and long rides. You going to add a rack and backup battery like I just did? Now I gotta lose 15 lbs.to make up the difference.lol

I have racks that mount to the seat post. If I need to remove battery I just loosen seat and pull off entire assembly.
I added a magnetic tank bag like I use for my motorcycle. You can see it on the one bike
1679583858987.png

Last edited:
I have racks that mount to the seat post. If I need to remove battery I just loosen seat and pull off entire assembly.
I added a magnetic tank bag like I use for my motorcycle. You can see it on the one bike
View attachment 149948
Nice racks. My gf just bought the Ecotric Leopard and there is no rack or fenders available. May have get that post type. So, you going to carry a 2nd battery? We have lots of hills here and peddling this bike over hills without power is way too hard. I had to do it when my battery failed a few years ago. Not looking for a repeat on that one.

Ta daa!
Fast shipping
I think there was some miscommunication but it all worked out and now i have an extra battery.
Sometimes it's best to not say too much lol
new battery.jpg

Last edited:
Great! That bubble bag it shipped in makes a nice closed cushion for the battery if you decide to carry it or another one on a rack. Glad you got it. Charge that baby up and go have fun. Ecotric support rocks.

Between a new shoulder and crappy weather I was able to get out and ride and wear down all 3 batteries for a good test
Level roads for the most part and some headwinds but I put on about 15 miles each in PA 5 and used throttle only.
All 3 batteries were about the same but the new white one was the best.
The batteries got down to 1 bar and then they started cutting out like the bad battery did when I first posted.

Between a new shoulder and crappy weather I was able to get out and ride and wear down all 3 batteries for a good test
Level roads for the most part and some headwinds but I put on about 15 miles each in PA 5 and used throttle only.
All 3 batteries were about the same but the new white one was the best.
The batteries got down to 1 bar and then they started cutting out like the bad battery did when I first posted.
I try not to take down that far. It's hard on them. I usually make a 33 mile ride and end up coming in with 3 bars left. I spend most of the ride in pos 3 and some 4 on big hills. I did add an extra 15 lbs. By adding the back rack and extra battery.

The resin pads worked. Squealing stopped.
Thanks Robospace
But I cheaped out on Amazon since I already tried a set of pads and they didn't stop the squealing.
I bought a cheap set with only a few reviews to try. None of the pads fit on the one side of the caliper. I didn't have anything to measure but sanded them down to fit.

Back