Average age of EBR riders

• Total voters

BrianK

Region
USA
City
NOVA
Hi folks,
I’m just curious what the average age of EBR members is, and if anyone knows, the average age of e bike adopters in general?

I just got my first e bike at 54, following some severe health problems (multiple strokes with hemiparesis that eventually resolved.)

When I was younger I spent several years avidly riding rails to trails but had to stop after developing severe tendinitis on the outside of both ankles (peroneal tendinitis.)

Because of my health problems I could not have resumed riding a bike if it were not for e bikes.

Hi folks,
I’m just curious what the average age of EBR members is, and if anyone knows, the average age of e bike adopters in general?

I just got my first e bike at 54, following some severe health problems (multiple strokes with hemiparesis that eventually resolved.)

When I was younger I spent several years avidly riding rails to trails but had to stop after developing severe tendinitis on the outside of both ankles (peroneal tendinitis.)

Because of my health problems I could not have resumed riding a bike if it were not for e bikes.
There was a thread somewhere on "how old are you" that I can't find, but the short answer is OLD. I think the youngest responder was your age, and many over 70. I'm closer to 70 than 60, but 70 is the new 50, I guess.

That would be an interesting #. I mean truth be told if the average on here is 60-70 years old ( I would be @ the upper end of that average) I would think advocating for eBike usage would have less of an impact on how "purists" fear the destruction of their trail system. Kinda like "accountant" Harley riders shaking up the townsfolk to where they keep their woman inside and safe, lol.

I thought this was done at least 3 times, but a quick search didn't help me find them. Edit; found a couple, but I guess it's time for the annual question based on the dates of these 2.

Last edited:
Espec
That would be an interesting #. I mean truth be told if the average on here is 60-70 years old ( I would be @ the upper end of that average) I would think advocating for eBike usage would have less of an impact on how "purists" fear the destruction of their trail system. Kinda like "accountant" Harley riders shaking up the townsfolk to where they keep their woman inside and safe, lol.
Around here, the new Harley rider is often a female accountant...

I thought this was done at least 3 times, but a quick search didn't help me find them. Edit; found a couple, but I guess it's time for the annual question based on the dates of these 2.
Sorry, should have thought to search first.

I thought this was done at least 3 times, but a quick search didn't help me find them.

Edit; found a couple, but I guess it's time for the annual question based on the dates of these 2.

Thanks for the links... the EBR demographics trend toward a more senior group. 😉

1595700208067.png

1595700340422.png

advocating for eBike usage would have less of an impact on how "purists" fear the destruction of their trail system
That’s a very good point to keep in mind when advocating for e bike usage on bike paths.

The younger hooligan set can’t afford or doesn’t care about $2000-7000 e bikes and the average 65 yo e bike user isn’t jail breaking their e bike controller to go 40mph.

That’s a very good point to keep in mind when advocating for e bike usage on bike paths.

The younger hooligan set can’t afford $2000-7000 bikes and the average 65 yo e bike user isn’t jail breaking their e bike controller to go 40mph.

There are a decent number of EBR members who have de-limited their EBike speed... especially those who road previously. 😉

The younger hooligan set can’t afford or doesn’t care about $2000-7000 e bikes and the average 65 yo e bike user isn’t jail breaking their e bike controller to go 40mph.
But city administrators remember when only DUI offenders commuted on e bikes. ;)

You need to start reading the ebike section on Reddit if you think that is true. Huge number of people on there ask about 3,000-4,000w eBikes and anyone posting about a Sur-Ron or similar get about 5 times the responses as someone talking about a Giant.

You need to start reading the ebike section on Reddit if you think that is true. Huge number of people on there ask about 3,000-4,000w eBikes and anyone posting about a Sur-Ron or similar get about 5 times the responses as someone talking about a Giant.
Reddit is not real world. Neither is EBR. Just different rabbit holes.

On the regular paths I ride my non-ebike on, ages skew all over for who I see on ebikes... visually the average seems much lower than 60-70.

But I’m in SoCal and this is my very non-scientific observation.

On the regular paths I ride my non-ebike on, ages skew all over for who I see on ebikes... visually the average seems much lower than 60-70.

But I’m in SoCal and this is my very non-scientific observation.
Seems very sensible to me that those who exercise look younger and die older than those who watch tv. And leave a better looking corpse 😁

There are a decent number of EBR members who have de-limited their EBike speed... especially those who road previously. 😉
And probably rode just about the same after delimited . I don't have to use all the speed available in my car either, but use what I need. 😉

I know a bunch and met many other ebikers. I think most fall in the 45 to 75 age group. Big spread I know. I'd say fatbike riders skew a little younger.

Back