Average age of EBR riders

Average age of EBR riders

• Total voters
There was a thread somewhere on "how old are you" that I can't find, but the short answer is OLD. I think the youngest responder was your age, and many over 70. I'm closer to 70 than 60, but 70 is the new 50, I guess.

I wonder if your definitions are best serving you here? For me old appears to be a choice more than a fact. If you're sixty and sitting in a recliner complaining about life and your body you are old. If you are buzzing around on an ebike and thinking of your next adventure when you're ninety you are youthful and aged, in my opinion.

I am an arborist and have always enjoyed meeting people, hearing about their lives and life stories as well as seeing the different ways one could live life. When I no longer have an exciting new thing to do tomorrow, when I complain more about life to myself or others than I enjoy its beauty and wonder, then I will be old. Till then I will be whatever age but, youthful.

I do believe the
I wonder if your definitions are best serving you here? For me old appears to be a choice more than a fact. If you're sixty and sitting in a recliner complaining about life and your body you are old. If you are buzzing around on an ebike and thinking of your next adventure when you're ninety you are youthful and aged, in my opinion.

I am an arborist and have always enjoyed meeting people, hearing about their lives and life stories as well as seeing the different ways one could live life. When I no longer have an exciting new thing to do tomorrow, when I complain more about life to myself or others than I enjoy its beauty and wonder, then I will be old. Till then I will be whatever age but, youthful.
Fact is, the majority do age and get old. Your referring to a youthful outlook and attitude. I say this because I'm always told I'm immature by a wife who is younger and has been for almost 30 years. The challenge nowdays is to get her to understand there are simply things my "old" body doesn't want to do anymore.
I never subscribed to the "no pain, no gain" philosophy, ever. I choose Avaition over Infantry not for the adventure ( and trust me, there was plenty) but in order not to frigging walk around a jungle with a 60lb pack.

I am now loving eBikes because I always enjoyed accoustic MtB and road bikes for the freedom they offered, not the pain nessessary to engage in the activity. That became an issue on our standard bikes. eBiking removed the pain, zero gain aspect.

Personally I have no problem with accepting the aging process. I love to simply hang out. Maybe it's the resistance to simply growing older that makes so many of us inactive and angry.

My 2c, be older, smile and enjoy your eBike. :)

Hi folks,
I’m just curious what the average age of EBR members is, and if anyone knows, the average age of e bike adopters in general?

I just got my first e bike at 54, following some severe health problems (multiple strokes with hemiparesis that eventually resolved.)

When I was younger I spent several years avidly riding rails to trails but had to stop after developing severe tendinitis on the outside of both ankles (peroneal tendinitis.)

Because of my health problems I could not have resumed riding a bike if it were not for e bikes.
Hey! This is the golden aspect of ebikes! My Dad had copd ,sadly the timing was off but a modern EBike would have enabled him to find a little more joy-Ride in good health!

I'm mature - not old.
So is my mother who is 92, and it sounds like one of her new friends at her manor, at 102, is as well.
Mind you there are plenty of old people over there too, and some of them are in their early 70's.
My father was "old" at my current age, but he did live a sedentary lifestyle.

In our golf league, we are the "most mature" team (of 8), with an avg age of 63, (with one 55 year old) and we're normally playing guys half our age from the same tees.
Yeah, some of them are hitting 7 irons when I'm hitting a 5 iron (and some teammates 3w), but who cares, we have fun and compete (rather well I might add).

This is the same with bikes - if you need an ebike to cycle with younger people like your sons or daughters, why not?
Age is irrelevant for many things and cycling can be that way to some degree as well thankfully.

Apologies for the golf references - not everyone is familiar with the sport.

The human body is not perpetual. Nor is it perfect. As we get older, we become less and less mobile and more prone to injury and take much longer to heal after an injury. Your heart is no longer able to withstand sustained stresses of high impact workouts. These are not choices you get to make.

I am full agreement that age is a state of mind and how you choose to live your life. If you feel youthful, you are youthful in mind and body, while still being mindful of the limitations that age has placed on your physical abilities. Getting out and staying mobile makes you feel young, and an ebike is a perfect vehicle for me to achieve that. I love riding my emtb as much as I can.

Mark Twain ?

Attachments

• downloadfile(2).jpg
    downloadfile(2).jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 214
Apropos.

In addition to that I was trying to convey a concept for any interested. I once met a woman in her 80's that was interested in archeology. This was over 20 years ago when computers were younger but she was up on the computer everyday talking, researching, and living archeology. She talked almost every day with one of the formost Egypologists in the world who was on a dig in Egypt. She was youthful.

I've seen youthfulness revolve around that, gardens, sports, golf, hobbies, a mate....and now ebikes.

There's 7 billion people on the planet and I respect each persons right to choose their view of how to live life. Ebikes look like a fun way to add to life from my point of view.

I went on a 26 mile ride on my ebike today. The last half of the ride was against a strong cold headwind. I tried to maintain the pace on Eco mode, but had to give in and bump up to Tour mode to finish the ride. After a winter of inactivity and based on my body aches tonight, I aged from 74 to 84 in one ride! ;) That said, I think by tomorrow after a good night's sleep I will be 74 again and ready to ride.:)

I went on a 26 mile ride on my ebike today. The last half of the ride was against a strong cold headwind. I tried to maintain the pace on Eco mode, but had to give in and bump up to Tour mode to finish the ride. After a winter of inactivity and based on my body aches tonight, I aged from 74 to 84 in one ride! ;) That said, I think by tomorrow after a good night's sleep I will be 74 again and ready to ride.:)
My first real ride of near-Spring ‘21 was on Friday. 28.95 mile ride in moderate (10-15 mph) winds at low 50’s. My bod was definitely feelin’ it Saturday morning, especially in my hips and quads. Hoping to get in 30+ today tho they’re predicting much higher winds. Most of the snow is finally gone but there were lots of puddles. Got a new Schwalbe G-One tire on the rear and had the shop check my chain which was good for now.

Attachments

• E65CC15E-B154-406B-8485-587646DBDF1D.jpeg
    E65CC15E-B154-406B-8485-587646DBDF1D.jpeg
    839.6 KB · Views: 240
Hi folks,
I’m just curious what the average age of EBR members is, and if anyone knows, the average age of e bike adopters in general?

I just got my first e bike at 54, following some severe health problems (multiple strokes with hemiparesis that eventually resolved.)

When I was younger I spent several years avidly riding rails to trails but had to stop after developing severe tendinitis on the outside of both ankles (peroneal tendinitis.)

Because of my health problems I could not have resumed riding a bike if it were not for e bikes.
I guess I’m on the lower age spectrum according to the poll. I’m at the ripe old age of 39.

I started out at a very young age riding bicycles anywhere and everywhere for exercise and recreation. 90s MTBs, road bikes, commuter bikes etc. Basically from 15 years old all the way to about 30. I did use vehicles for my commutes and errands also of-course because at the time I lived in a cold climate. For almost ten years (30-38) I did not so much even think about cycling let alone e-bikes since I was to busy and fully occupied with business, politics and family.

I purchased my first ebike October 2019, a Juiced RCS. My second e-bike about five months later right before the pandemic started.

Now I’m really enjoying the e-bike life and the great outdoors. I have plenty of time to get around with it since I’m in semi-retirement and looking to retire fully in five and a half years. By then I can’t wait to see what e-bike technology has evolved into. It’s by far the most rewarding hobby for me although I still enjoy and take time for my other hobbies which don’t involve exercise but are equally rewarding.

Good for you that despite some health problems in the past you’ve persevered and fought through. Many can learn from your experiences. The fact you found e-bikes as a way to be able to be on a bike where you otherwise wouldn’t demonstrates your fortitude and is testament to how great and rewarding this wonderful e-bike technology is.

Last edited:
At any age, you’re only as old as you want to be, with certain exceptions. I’m 75, a 2 time cancer survivor, a back problem and going on 30. I play golf, shoot pool, walk daily, dance and ride my class 3 bike as much as I can, and I’m still very much attracted to women as well. E-biking is one of the things that has allowed me to do what I dis as a child, and allows me to go further and at my age, it’s a pleasure to enjoy the scenery while getting in my exercise. Don’t use age as an excuse. E-biking is one of the activities that reverses the aging process.

Back