Aventon Modification

Bigal1463

I have a Pace 500 and I have high praise for this bike, but the lack of throttle on demand is a huge problem coupled with the sudden thrust after you start to pedal. I’ve learned to work around this (problem), because that’s what it is. A friend has the same bike and I personally watched him being thrusted into a wall while on an incline while attempting to engage. Fortunately he was not injured, but the right brake handle broke in half. I know that Aventon dealers will not like this and say so, but it is what is is.
My question is; is it possible to have the bike modified to having throttle on demand?

NO. Aventon has repeatedly stated they will not change the controller software for Throttle On Demand. Or change the high pedal assist level in PAS 1. Good value ebikes. Wish they had those modifications as options. They'd have a really great ebike for $1400.

OP was asking about THROTTLE ON DEMAND. Yes The Pace 500 has a throttle. But active only after pedaling. TOD is the advantage of starting from a stop with just applying the throttle. Great for in town riding at stop lights. Or starting up an incline.

I would gladly pay more money for these changes, because as I’ve said in these discussions, in my opinion they have an excellent bike.

I have a Pace 500 and I have high praise for this bike, but the lack of throttle on demand is a huge problem coupled with the sudden thrust after you start to pedal. I’ve learned to work around this (problem), because that’s what it is. A friend has the same bike and I personally watched him being thrusted into a wall while on an incline while attempting to engage. Fortunately he was not injured, but the right brake handle broke in half. I know that Aventon dealers will not like this and say so, but it is what is is.
My question is; is it possible to have the bike modified to having throttle on demand?

Don’t know, but you have to pedal about one quarter of a turn before either activates. It’s very difficult to get started if you’re on an uphill, or if you’re stopped and in a high speed gear.

Definitely one of the main reasons I sold mine. I disliked the “jackrabbit” launch when using the pedals, especially in a crowded space. And not having throttle from a standstill to help with a smoother takeoff is annoying. If you’re starting up an incline, even in the lowest gear, you really have to mash the pedal to overcome the bike’s weight before assist kicks in.

It’s so unfortunate that for a few dollars more, they won’t address this issue. Perhaps they have an agreement with other company (s) not to deal with it.

Well Aventon better do something about the sudden thrust quickly.
Definitely one of the main reasons I sold mine. I disliked the “jackrabbit” launch when using the pedals, especially in a crowded space. And not having throttle from a standstill to help with a smoother takeoff is annoying. If you’re starting up an incline, even in the lowest gear, you really have to mash the pedal to overcome the bike’s weight before assist kicks in.
That jackrabbit launch was what stopped me from buying one of those bikes for my wife. She took a ride on one and that launch caused her to fall and injure herself severely. She was pretty beat up. I rode that bike later myself and the jackrabbit launch was a total and unnecessary surprise. I believe that the way the bike is set up it is dangerous to a beginning or unfamiliar rider. Any e bike should be able to start you off slowly at the command of the rider instead of launching you ahead. The bike really looks pretty, but that jackrabbit launch will someday hurt someone enough to cause a serious lawsuit.

Last edited:
Well Aventon better do something about the sudden thrust quickly.
That jackrabbit launch was what stopped me from buying one of those bikes for my wife. She took a ride on one and that launch caused her to fall. The was pretty beat up. I rode that bike later and the launch was a total surprise. I believe that the way the bike is set up it is dangerous to a beginning or unfamiliar rider. The bike should be able to start you off slowly at the command of the rider instead of launching you ahead. it really looks pretty, but it may kill someone.

I'll take smooth and natural pedaling over more power. I'll never go back to a bike with a basic cadence sensor.

When I would ride the Aventon in a crowded urban space, I always had to slightly engage the brake lever to inhibit the motor from jumping off the line. It was the only way to have a smooth and predictable launch. But that totally defeated the purpose of having a motor assist when starting up a hill or any inclines. It was just not acceptable for my uses in hilly SF Bay Area.

Let me jump back in for a moment. In all fairness to Aventon, I have to say again that they do have very good if not excellent components, a strong motor, and reputation. Even though it has fast acceleration on the start and lacks throttle on demand, I personally have overcome these shortfalls. It’s important to be very congnazant of this and learn to lower your gear shifter before coming to a stop, It makes it easier to start up at a stop, and use your brakes to cut off the acceleration. I now have over 1,200 trouble free miles and thankfully everything is holding up well. I had one flat tire. I took it to a bike shop and the owner said that there was no tire liner in the wheel and also no washers. I found it hard to believe that it would get by their quality control, but crazier things have happened.
if I had to do it again, I would definitely buy Aventon.

When in crowded spaces, I would just keep the power off. Use it like a regular bike... only use the power when out on an open path.

From Aventon's point of view, always on throttle might be a safety issue. In my first week of ebiking, I provided some amusement to my neighbors when my ebike pulled a wheelie while walking it up my driveway, slamming the front wheel into the garage door. However, I picked up some safety habits, like turning off the bike iwhen walking it or riding in low speed situations. With later ebikes, where I had the option of an always-on throttle, I didn't invoke it.

However, all my bikes can start on throttle when PAS is enabled, and it is an invaluable option.

I have a Ride 1 Up 700 series, which looks fairly similar in style. The ability to take off on throttle only is quite useful to me. In my opinion, it takes too long for the motor to engage when pedaling so the throttle lets you take off smoothly. Also, the controller is programmable by the owner for 0-3,5,7,9 speeds, with each level adjustable for the amount of power you want for it. Smooth take offs are easy and repeatable. Perhaps a Level owner could buy a controller from Ride 1 Up and experiment with it as a replacement.

Throttle on demand poses a number of safety risks, and I personally side with Aventon on this one. Many accidents/injuries have occurred because of this feature, especially when someone new is starting to ride any ebike. Besides that, you should never rely on it to work in situations where you are really wanting that initial boost, as throttles have been known to fail on the spot. Additionally, it is harder on the motor and the controller when you rely on that throttle, and not doing much or any pedaling. It is for the above reasons, and more, that throttles are banned on ebikes in most other countries. And remember this is an electric ASSIST bike . If you want an 'on-demand' throttle, and rely on it for the reasons stated above, then you probably should have just bought a moped. Sheesh.

The only thing I liked about the throttle on my old Pedego Ridgerider was the ability to power away from a stop. Other than that I seldom used it and don't miss it at all on my new ebike. The Bosch gen 4 motor's torque sensor is almost instantaneous.

I also agree on the safety issue side of this.

However, they should either make it something that a user can customize in the settings or... add a separate unlock switch/button when you try to use it from a full stop so it's not an inadvertent throttle (I think I've seen that on twist throttles).

Throttle On Demand is so convenient from stop lights. Just a second or two of throttle power gets you moving and you can start pedaling easily. Everyone has their opinions on TOD. I hope ebike sellers keep offering it. I parked my Aventon Pace 500 after 6000 reliable miles. It does not have TOD. It was not a deciding factor but it was something I missed. I personally only use throttle on start up. It's just nice. Ebikes could come with the option of TOD or not. Best of both worlds.

Back