Aventon Level Controller Info

Tom@WashDC

Region
USA
City
Loudoun County, VA.
In my quest to modify the PAS settings on my Aventon Level, I finally got around to removing the controller (basic Tongsheng) to find out what I am working with (see pix), and whether I can add a different display or whether I will need to get a new controller and display. I currently have a mid drive DIY fat bike with a Bafang Display which allows me to choose 5 levels of PAS, or 9 Levels of PAS, and it has throttle from the get go. The 9 PAS Level option would be ideal for the Aventon Level because the 9 levels allow for a more graduated PAS experience. For instance, PAS 1 takes me up to 5 miles per hour, PAS 2 takes me up to 9 miles per hour. I wish the Level had that type of adjustable feature. In any event I will probably be replacing the controller and/or the display on my wife's Level with something that allows her to adjust the PAS Levels to her liking, among other parameters. The replacement controller and display that Aventon currently offers as a modification still locks the user into the 5 step PAS system that brings the bike up to about 12-13 miles per hour right away (too fast or my wife), and does not offer any new user defined features

I am currently working on a dual suspension Fat Bike, using the new Bafang 1000W fat rear hub motor that powers the Aventure. I really liked the Aventure, and I love my two Levels, but I can build a much more powerful rear hub fat bike with dual suspension, and complete programmability for a lot less that $2K. Anyway, for those of you that are interested in modifying your Level....
I think it is a 22A controller based on the Ser#
Aventon Level controller Model.jpg
Aventon Level Controller.jpg

Last edited:
In my quest to modify the PAS settings on my Aventon Level, I finally got around to removing the controller (basic Tongsheng) to find out what I am working with (see pix), and whether I can add a different display or whether I will need to get a new controller and display. I currently have a mid drive DIY fat bike with a Bafang Display which allows me to choose 5 levels of PAS, or 9 Levels of PAS, and it has throttle from the get go. The 9 PAS Level option would be ideal for the Aventon Level because the 9 levels allow for a more graduated PAS experience. For instance, PAS 1 takes me up to 5 miles per hour, PAS 2 takes me up to 9 miles per hour. I wish the Level had that type of adjustable feature. In any event I will probably be replacing the controller and/or the display on my wife's Level with something that allows her to adjust the PAS Levels to her liking, among other parameters. The replacement controller and display that Aventon currently offers as a modification still locks the user into the 5 step PAS system that brings the bike up to about 12-13 miles per hour right away (too fast or my wife), and does not offer any new user defined features

I am currently working on a dual suspension Fat Bike, using the new Bafang 1000W fat rear hub motor that powers the Aventure. I really liked the Aventure, and I love my two Levels, but I can build a much more powerful rear hub fat bike with dual suspension, and complete programmability for a lot less that $2K. Anyway, for those of you that are interested in modifying your Level....
I think it is a 22A controller based on the Ser#
View attachment 102553.View attachment 102552

Just a rule of thumb. Many manufacturers void the warranty if you modify original equipment. Since Aventon doesn't return customer e-mail messages and has virtually the worst customer service, does it matter?

That's funny.
Yeah I am bummed hearing about Aventon's response times, or lack thereof. I am surprised they have not addressed the issue on this forum. I purchased my two Level's in Sept 2020 and had a problem with one of the motors within 30 days.. They responded promptly each time I emailed and they took care of the problem immediately.

Tom, when you figure out how to swap the controller and display on a Pace 500 or Level, let us know. Finer gradations will benefit all riders.

Tom, when you figure out how to swap the controller and display on a Pace 500 or Level, let us know. Finer gradations will benefit all riders.
Yes, I most certainly will. I think I've found an easy, inexpensive modification due to arrive this Wednesday that will allow me to have all of the standard Aventon parameter adjustments plus:

Choice between Instant throttle upon startup, or after pedaling.
3, 5, or 9 levels of PAS with adjustable levels of assist power intensity.
No speed limit restriction on throttle
Main odometer Reset
USB port
and a few other features.

I hope to post the results by this coming weekend.

I personally would like to see more about your DS Fat Bike build w/1000W motor if you don't mind sharing? Sounds very interesting!

I personally would like to see more about your DS Fat Bike build w/1000W motor if you don't mind sharing? Sounds very interesting!
Sure thing Dan.
I purchased this dual suspension bike for $323.00. I wanted the dual suspension frame, wheels, and tires. The rest is junk.
The bike will be 9 speed, 52 Volt, powered by a rear hub IG motor, with torque sensing pedal assist, fully programmable controller and display, running at 35-40 amps, with thermal rollback if/when the motor or controller approach maximum operating temperature.
s-l1600.jpg

Equipment to install:
Motor: Bafang 48V 1000W (G062/H550) rear hub geared motor 190mm OLD.
Controller: Grin Technologies programmable V4 Baserunner_L10 Field Oriented Motor Controller - 45-50A Continuous output. Fits into Hailong battery mount
Display: Grin Technologies CA3-WP Cycle Analyst, fully programmable, incudes Aux control switch.
Torque Sensor: Grin Technologies Bottom Bracket Torque Sensor
Trigger Shifter: Microshift Trail Trigger Pro Right Shifter 9 speed.
Rear Derailleur: Microshift Advent Rear Derailleur - 9 Speed, Med Cage, with Clutch
Cassette: MicroShift ADVENT Cassette - 9 Speed 11-42t Black ED Coated Alloy Large Cog
Chainring: 42T, TBD
Throttle: Left Thumb
Front Fork: Bolany Double Shoulder Air Suspension Fork
Rear Suspension Shock Absorber: TBD
Hydraulic e-Brakes 203mm Disc: TBD
Battery: 52 Volt 20Ah, Hailong Mount
Crankarms: TBD

Tom, regarding the Aventon, have you looked into the KT controllers and displays? Spoiled by them, I consider the stuff from most of the OEM's pretty much junk.

Consider the fact KT controllers use a POWER based PAS system, vs. your current speed based system. With these, you set PAS 1 with certain amount of power (amount determined by you), and that amount of power doesn't change with the speed. If you want more assist, you switch to a higher level, and the amount of power is increased - again completely unaffected by speed.

The only other place I've seen this "power based" option is in the controller setup on the Bafang mid drives, where most highly recommend it....

They're reasonably priced, have some of the best displays available (LCD or color, suit yourself), and they're available everywhere. Best piece is that they appear to be plug and play replacement for the controller pictured above.

I've done a bunch of these KT conversions, several using Waterproof Kt-22a similar to the one in the link below. Holler if you have any questions.

Tom, regarding the Aventon, have you looked into the KT controllers and displays? Spoiled by them, I consider the stuff from most of the OEM's pretty much junk.

Consider the fact KT controllers use a POWER based PAS system, vs. your current speed based system. With these, you set PAS 1 with certain amount of power (amount determined by you), and that amount of power doesn't change with the speed. If you want more assist, you switch to a higher level, and the amount of power is increased - again completely unaffected by speed.

The only other place I've seen this "power based" option is in the controller setup on the Bafang mid drives, where most highly recommend it....

They're reasonably priced, have some of the best displays available (LCD or color, suit yourself), and they're available everywhere. Best piece is that they appear to be plug and play replacement for the controller pictured above.

I've done a bunch of these KT conversions, several using Waterproof Kt-22a similar to the one in the link below. Holler if you have any questions.

I have been looing at the KT, they seem to be pretty ubiquitous. I have a Bafang 1500W Mid Drive from Luna Cycles and I love the PAS configuration as you said. Pretty sure I will go with the KT controller now and a newer color display

Thanks for the input.

Color displays are pretty nice for sure. I would warn of 2 things, both minor. 1 is that they wash out slightly in direct sunlight which is pretty typical of all color displays. This one not as bad as others. The other thing is the size of the watt meter part of the display. It's on the small side as compared to the LCD3.

Color displays are pretty nice for sure. I would warn of 2 things, both minor. 1 is that they wash out slightly in direct sunlight which is pretty typical of all color displays. This one not as bad as others. The other thing is the size of the watt meter part of the display. It's on the small side as compared to the LCD3.
Do you have a recommendation for a display to matches that controller? Color or LCD

I like the LCD3 for it's inexpensive price, it's rock solid performance and easy visibility in any conditions. The LCD8H is the flashier color display that may be a little more difficult to read in direct sunlight, but the upside would be not just the way it looks, but the setup parameters may be a little easier/simpler to access/adjust (due to newer design). Both have all of the same functions. Your call on which you like better.

Noteworthy maybe, is because I like to see how many watts the motor is using frequently, the LCD3 is the one where watts in use is more easily seen. That's important to me personally as I make many decisions regarding what PAS level I'm in, what gear I'm using, etc. based on that reading.

Same story on my Bafang Ultra based bike, where I've change the display to a 750C for a much more visible watt meter (same size as the speedo in a side by side arrangement). -Al

Last edited:
Already tried the KT 22A controller and the LCD3 combo for my wife's Level, the controller is way to big to fit in the down tube. I'm still looking for a solution. Anyone looked into the Cycle Analyst V3 as a possibility?

Already tried the KT 22A controller and the LCD3 combo for my wife's Level, the controller is way to big to fit in the down tube. I'm still looking for a solution. Anyone looked into the Cycle Analyst V3 as a possibility?
Have you considered mounting the controller externally? Like maybe in the area between the seat down tube and rear fender (just above the crank) for instance? Have a look at the RAD bikes. They mounted their controllers there for years.

No, one of the things my wife likes about the bike is the clean look. I don't think she would like a big grey box with wire hanging out strapped to the frame. I was hopping for a plug and play solution without changing the look.

No, one of the things my wife likes about the bike is the clean look. I don't think she would like a big grey box with wire hanging out strapped to the frame. I was hopping for a plug and play solution without changing the look.
Suit yourself, but if the controller were painted black and located down low just above the crank, the wiring could be run pretty much out of sight (below the crank) and connections made internally, near where the controller is located now (assuming it's below the battery)? Clearly not "plug and play" but not that bad a project. The end result, I think you'll find, is well worth the trouble.

Thank so much for this information @Tom@WashDC! I have a LEVEL and was wondering if I could attached a xt60 connector to the controller and battery terminal? This could allow me to add light and an extra battery.

Back