Aventon Level Controller Info

So you want to draw a parallel current directly from the main power circuit going from battery to controller?

It is possible depending on the energy needs and capacity of the light circuit. I've seen lights that will run of a wide range of voltages. If you do that, make sure to place an appropriate fuse between the light and the junction to the battery.

Better yet, you could install a more capable, faster, smoother, and programmable controller and display combo that has a built in light circuit with a HiGo plug like I did here. The KT 22Amp controller has a standard light cable.

The bike performs much better in my opinion

Attachments

• Aventonw-KT Controller.jpg
    Aventonw-KT Controller.jpg
    958.4 KB · Views: 572
  • Aventon_Level_KT_Display.jpg
    Aventon_Level_KT_Display.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 575
  • KTController.JPG
    KTController.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 886
Grin Anderson tap. I make them with any connectors. Roxim lights with a voltage Range and STVZO. Bought cheap first from AliExpress or Banggood USA to experiment. Worked!
1648792355767.png

1648792490278.jpeg

So you want to draw a parallel current directly from the main power circuit going from battery to controller?

It is possible depending on the energy needs and capacity of the light circuit. I've seen lights that will run of a wide range of voltages. If you do that, make sure to place an appropriate fuse between the light and the junction to the battery.

Better yet, you could install a more capable, faster, smoother, and programmable controller and display combo that has a built in light circuit with a HiGo plug like I did here. The KT 22Amp controller has a standard light cable.

The bike performs much better in my opinion
Thank you for the advice! I will order the controller and give it a go. I’ve seen your posts about mounting it on the outside and like the solution!

@Tom@WashDC My actual goal is to add an additional battery to either run in parallel with the original battery or using an either/or switch. This is why I was thinking about attaching a XT-60 plug to the original controller which would allow me to add an additional battery or lights. I think in theory it should work but I'm unsure what the connections look on the LEVEL battery terminal.

In terms of the lights, I was thinking of using x4 12v light strips in parallel/series (making them 48v compatible) and then attaching them to the battery.

See this vid for the light strip idea:

Thank you for the advice! I will order the controller and give it a go. I’ve seen your posts about mounting it on the outside and like the solution!
FYI, that controller needs to be paired with a KT display. They have several displays and they are all compatible.

@Tom@WashDC My actual goal is to add an additional battery to either run in parallel with the original battery or using an either/or switch. This is why I was thinking about attaching a XT-60 plug to the original controller which would allow me to add an additional battery or lights. I think in theory it should work but I'm unsure what the connections look on the LEVEL battery terminal.

In terms of the lights, I was thinking of using x4 12v light strips in parallel/series (making them 48v compatible) and then attaching them to the battery.

See this vid for the light strip idea:
If you are going to add a second battery in parallel, make sure you use a device for that purpose. Do not just wire a battery in parallel. That could be mildly, or catastrophically problematic. An either/or switch should work fine.

See these devices:
Dual Battery Parallel Connector - Battery Voltages must be the same
Dual Battery Parallel Connector - Can use different Voltage Batteries

The battery-to-controller connections on the Level are behind the pins that seat the battery in the downtube. Remove the battery. Unscrew the three torx screws holding the bracket in place and you will see the battery connections.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 257
If you are going to add a second battery in parallel, make sure you use a device for that purpose. Do not just wire a battery in parallel. That could be mildly, or catastrophically problematic. An either/or switch should work fine.

See these devices:

The battery-to-controller connections on the Level are behind the pins that seat the battery in the downtube. Remove the battery. Unscrew the three torx screws holding the bracket in place and you will see the battery connections.
Thanks @Tom@WashDC for the tip, I will try this soon just after I get the parts.

Yes, I would definitely use a dual battery converter. I’ve watched a video by Bolton Bikes but was unsure about how to add the XT-60 connection to the LEVEL.

FYI, that controller needs to be paired with a KT display. They have several displays and they are all compatible.
Here is the manual for the KT LCD8H display. I like that the controller/display has "imitation torque control", which is more refined and smoother than a simple speed based PAS control that is standard on the Aventon bikes.
Parameter C-14 allows for three different PAS profiles. Week Assist, General Assist, and Strong Assist. My wife likes the "Weak Assist"

Attachments

• KT-LCD8H Manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 398

See these devices:

So this is what the back of the battery terminal looks like. I’m not sure to attach these to an XT-60 connector though
DDFD8CA0-AF8E-4751-B620-09C11F67DA3E.jpeg

This Schuck combo on Amazon has both pieces - it also has the brake levers, PAS sensor, and thumb throttle but you used the ones already on the Aventon, right?

Same one I installed. I think you will like the setup.
Hi @Tom@WashDC, got my LCD8 today but no controller! :( I did hook it up though and it powers on but doesn't appear to do anything... throttle definitely doesn't work.

LCD8 does feel cheap though, doesn't feel as solid and the Aventon LCD !

Hi @Tom@WashDC, got my LCD8 today but no controller! :( I did hook it up though and it powers on but doesn't appear to do anything... throttle definitely doesn't work.

LCD8 does feel cheap though, doesn't feel as solid and the Aventon LCD !
It will only work in combo with the KT Controller. Will not work with the Aventon controller.

Back