Aventon Level Controller Info

Trying to find one that 'might' fit has proven to be a challenge. I assume the circuit board inside these controllers are as big as the housing(?) (I was thinking the guts could be transferred to a smaller housing)
Somebody determined/creative enough to try this could probably get the job done - IF - the controller wasn't too long. The width and height could be whittled on a bit, but not the length. Regarding the length, this is going to depend on the exact bike, but SOMETIMES the controller can be installed wires first and fed through an opening in the bottom of the tube. This leaves the controller mounted internally, but those bulky connectors would be outside where they are easily concealed.

I just want to emphasize that each one of these controllers is available with half a dozen different wiring configurations (plug combinations). Further, not all come with a lead for a (very) low powered light. Point being, BE CAREFUL when ordering! If you aren't sure, find it somewhere else. DO NOT expect a lot of "how to" support from the sellers. Most are clueless....

I've bought all of the ones I've needed from Amazon recently. Sine wave vs square wave? Working with the geared rear hub bikes (not direct drives) the square wave is not that objectionable if you can't find a sine wave. They just have a little whine that sounds like gear noise, and the only time you're going to hear it is when/if you are in a very quiet surroundings, and then it's usually just at low speeds when accelerating. So sine wave would be nice, but not a huge deal breaker on these smaller geared hubs. I have a couple of them....

Trying to find one that 'might' fit has proven to be a challenge. I assume the circuit board inside these controllers are as big as the housing(?) (I was thinking the guts could be transferred to a smaller housing)
I had originally hoped to so the same thing, I took the casing apart and no luck. Circuit board is the same size.

Thanks for the responses. My searches for this elusive controller mainly contain 'WP Plug - 500w - 36V/48V - 17A or 22A'

Also, I've been trying to find a controller sized at 100mm x 61mm x 36.5mm shown at this site (thanks Tom) as it should fit in the Aventon (I've emailed szktdz.com but they never respond).

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. My searches for this elusive controller mainly contain 'WP Plug - 750w - 36V/48V - 17A or 22A'

Also, I've been trying to find a controller sized at 100mm x 61mm x 36.5mm shown at this site (thanks Tom) as it should fit in the Aventon (I've emailed szktdz.com but they never respond).
WP stands for water proof if that's of any help. Here's a listing that might give you a hand with some of the configurations available (for illustration purposes only, NOT recommending them).

AHicks,
On October 17, 2021 you wrote "Consider the fact KT controllers use a POWER based PAS system, vs. your current speed based system. With these, you set PAS 1 with certain amount of power (amount determined by you), and that amount of power doesn't change with the speed. If you want more assist, you switch to a higher level, and the amount of power is increased - again completely unaffected by speed."

Are you saying that a specific speed/power rating can be assigned to PAS level 1 of a KT controller and display? I've upgraded an Aventon Pace 500 with the KT-22a and LCD3, but cannot find a way to set specific limits to the PAS levels. Level 1 is my primary concern as it is still a little fast (somewhere between 10 and 12 mph) for my liking, even with the C14 setting at its lowest level (1). I'd like to get it in the 8 mph range if at all possible, but have not figured out a way to do it. The KT equipment is far superior to stock, but getting that level 1 down a bit would make it PERFECT. I'm hoping you or someone else on this site can guide me with this task. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

AHicks,
On October 17, 2021 you wrote "Consider the fact KT controllers use a POWER based PAS system, vs. your current speed based system. With these, you set PAS 1 with certain amount of power (amount determined by you), and that amount of power doesn't change with the speed. If you want more assist, you switch to a higher level, and the amount of power is increased - again completely unaffected by speed."

Are you saying that a specific speed/power rating can be assigned to PAS level 1 of a KT controller and display? I've upgraded an Aventon Pace 500 with the KT-22a and LCD3, but cannot find a way to set specific limits to the PAS levels. Level 1 is my primary concern as it is still a little fast (somewhere between 10 and 12 mph) for my liking, even with the C14 setting at its lowest level (1). I'd like to get it in the 8 mph range if at all possible, but have not figured out a way to do it. The KT equipment is far superior to stock, but getting that level 1 down a bit would make it PERFECT. I'm hoping you or someone else on this site can guide me with this task. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Sure! Have a look at C5 "Controller Maximum Current Adjustment Setting". You can use that to cut down on max available power, which will directly affect the power/speed you get when riding in PAS 1. If it's currently set at "10" for instance, try something lower, like "7" maybe, and go for a short test ride. May take a couple of rides to get a feel for the results. When you find a setting that's pretty close to what you're after, THEN you can go to C-14 and use that to trim your setting to get it even closer. The few minutes of messing around setting and test riding will pay off in spades with a perfectly set PAS 1.

Don't be too concerned about cutting max available using C5. It's been my expereience there will still be PLENTY available if/when you need it using the throttle.

You da'man AHicks. It worked perfectly. I had experimented for hours with numerous setting combinations and never considered C5 for some brain-dead reason, which seems so obvious now. And you are correct, plenty of throttle power still available. I thank you, and more importantly for me, my wife thanks you. That's a fantastically comfortable bike for smaller casual riders, but she hated the power curve from day one. My first modification was a big improvement, but now it's perfect. Thanks again for your help.

You da'man AHicks. It worked perfectly. I had experimented for hours with numerous setting combinations and never considered C5 for some brain-dead reason, which seems so obvious now. And you are correct, plenty of throttle power still available. I thank you, and more importantly for me, my wife thanks you. That's a fantastically comfortable bike for smaller casual riders, but she hated the power curve from day one. My first modification was a big improvement, but now it's perfect. Thanks again for your help.
Congrats on getting through the conversion, and welcome to riding with the KT showing it IS possible to get a contoler combo able to do it right when it comes to hub drives. Downside is knowing/experiencing this, you are now spoiled. My bet is you'll be doing another one soon....

Congrats on making the conversion. My wife loves her KT conversion too. It really is an improvement.

FYI - there's a new Level.2 out with Torque Sensing technology "torque sensor for smoother power delivery" along with adding a full color backlit display. I sent them a message asking if they will be selling the upgraded components so others like myself can swap them out. I will post their reply here when I receive it.

This is a great resource and information thread. Thank you all for the input, I do have a question that hopefully someone can answer.
I have a Garmin edge explore 2 GPS unit that I would like to use more exclusively with my aventon aventure. Is there a controller/display combo that would also be able to pair with the garmin?

@Tom@WashDC @AHicks i contacted the KT controller guys who then pass my email to a third party who then contacted me about ordering a KT 6 mosfets 20A controller, after a few months it arrived today! Looking at this picture, do you reckon it’ll work? I paid 80 bucks in total, this included shipping.
886718AC-CFB6-43CF-9327-0A52DADDEFE2.jpeg

Yes that looks like the same connections. It should work in combo with a KT controller
Installed the controller today, man it was a tight fit! Added some switched lights with horn too.

I haven’t tinkered with the settings at all but when I went in to the settings screen I saw this. Does the screen have memory? I think these are the settings I copied from you!

Will probably customise tomorrow.

Attachments

• FCFD25A2-1C39-4A96-901A-549311C87011.jpeg
    FCFD25A2-1C39-4A96-901A-549311C87011.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 184
FYI - there's a new Level.2 out with Torque Sensing technology "torque sensor for smoother power delivery" along with adding a full color backlit display. I sent them a message asking if they will be selling the upgraded components so others like myself can swap them out. I will post their reply here when I receive it.
Same thing for my Aventure so I sent them an email, needed a nudge, and I just got this response "There is nothing in the works to make a torque retro-fit for the cadence bikes".

Back