Aventon Aventure Charger!! ---This is Madness!!

Daveo111

Region
USA
City
Monterey
I cannot believe i cannot buy or properly fabricate a charger for my Aventon Aventure ebike- It has been sitting for over a month now and I've ordered over $200 worth of various connectors (closest being the $100 charger with the "ST3") connector from Grin, it did not work at all. I will pay top dollar but Aventon offers NO HELP AT ALL! If anyone out there has ANY suggestions for me - I would be soo grateful!

Attachments

• ST3PlugExamples.jpeg
    ST3PlugExamples.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
I understand your frustration. I searched high and low, including Grin and the factory website in China that makes the Aventure charger for a connector, for anything that could be adapted but didn't find that particular connector there as well. I used the model number on the charger and came up with zero, nothing anywhere on the internet. I wrote extensively about brake pad replacements in another post and highlighted problems with customer support from Aventon. They are the worst! I foolishly sent them another email looking for a second battery and have heard nothing in well over two weeks. I called a local shop that sells the Aventure (I bought it direct from Aventon, bad move on my part) and they indicated that Aventon hopes the batteries will be available at the end of the summer! I hope mine doesn't fail. Can you believe this stuff? Aventon advertises their bikes extensively but offers NO support for replacement parts. They are basically unreachable. I don't know how they can go on selling bikes they can't service. We are dead in the water after the one year warranty for chargers, batteries, brakes, etc.

Houshmand Moarefi is the owner of Ebikes USA in Cherry Creek, CO and they are an Aventon dealer that offers personal service to customers (you'd be talking to his staff and not him directly I am sure). Maybe try giving them a ring and seeing what if any parts assistance they can give you.

You can use this $13 ST3 to XLR adapter from Grin:

Either cut the ST3 connector off and solder to your charger cable or use an XLR connector on your charger cable and use the adapter as is.

I have that exact adapter you reference from Grin. I thought it would fit the Aventure battery socket, but it didn't. I could cut off the plug from the Aventure charger, cut off the Grin XLR ST3 plug, and then solder the Aventure plug to the XLR connector if I knew exactly which pins were positive, negative and sensing. I have this question posted elsewhere in response to someone who said they did this but didn't indicate the pin configuration (Charging Connector for Aventure?). Does anyone know what the configuration is?

I understand your frustration. I searched high and low, including Grin and the factory website in China that makes the Aventure charger for a connector, for anything that could be adapted but didn't find that particular connector there as well. I used the model number on the charger and came up with zero, nothing anywhere on the internet. I wrote extensively about brake pad replacements in another post and highlighted problems with customer support from Aventon. They are the worst! I foolishly sent them another email looking for a second battery and have heard nothing in well over two weeks. I called a local shop that sells the Aventure (I bought it direct from Aventon, bad move on my part) and they indicated that Aventon hopes the batteries will be available at the end of the summer! I hope mine doesn't fail. Can you believe this stuff? Aventon advertises their bikes extensively but offers NO support for replacement parts. They are basically unreachable. I don't know how they can go on selling bikes they can't service. We are dead in the water after the one year warranty for chargers, batteries, brakes, etc.
7[77

The reason it's so crazy - is that Aventon went with such a nightmare proprietary connector on there number 1 selling ebike and have 8 other models that all have barrel connectors???? Grin is selling ST3 connectors (That look like the aventon aventure but are NOT) I LOVE Justin and the whole crew bat grin -but they need to get a stock of the right plugs and sell the shite out of them! I've bought 3 different variables from them and they are totally different - Like I said in the title - "its madness" Aventon is like self sabotaging themselves soooo bad - the worst business ethic ever! I
boo Aventon- train your staff and fire your supply chain head!

The reason it's so crazy - is that Aventon went with such a nightmare proprietary connector on there number 1 selling ebike and have 8 other models that all have barrel connectors???? Grin is selling ST3 connectors (That look like the aventon aventure but are NOT) I LOVE Justin and the whole crew bat grin -but they need to get a stock of the right plugs and sell the shite out of them! I've bought 3 different variables from them and they are totally different - Like I said in the title - "its madness" Aventon is like self sabotaging themselves soooo bad - the worst business ethic ever! I
boo Aventon- train your staff and fire your supply chain head!

I build and configure small fleets of e bikes for boutique hotels to have as rentals - I just decided to dump Aventon from my vendor list today and have decided to go with Rad Power, Sohoo and Area 13.. thats almost 40 bike per year theyve lost out to...It's a shame because i love the Aventure but after the hours of struggle it has been to solve this simple issue -
I have lost ALL Faith in that company . it's been hell - i am going to cannibalize the aventon (that was my daughters) and instal the barrel connector and receptacle that should have been there in the first place - it's a shame. Customer service is non existent.

Either cut the ST3 connector off and solder to your charger cable or use an XLR connector on your charger cable and use the adapter as is.
it does not work

it does not work

Thanks for digging into this, Daveo111. I don't blame you for dumping Aventon. Dealing with them has always been frustrating, infuriating. Shortly after buying the Aventure in May of 2021, I contacted them by phone (when you could still do this) and asked if I could have a failed charger for the Aventure so I could use the connector. They flatly refused. The Aventure is now a dead end bike in my view. Aventon has no chargers, batteries, or brake pads for the Aventure and we are held hostage by them because they didn't plan ahead and because they use a proprietary connector. Customers are at their mercy and they don't care.
Regarding your plan to 'cannabalize' the bike and install a barrel connector, does this mean you are planning to install a different socket on the battery that will accept the barrel type? I considered using a socket and ST3 from Grin but don't have experience doing such. If you do change the battery socket and connector, please contact me via email on this site or post how this was done. I would love to do the same if it works without the sensing terminal missing from the barrel connector.

Thanks for digging into this, Daveo111. I don't blame you for dumping Aventon. Dealing with them has always been frustrating, infuriating. Shortly after buying the Aventure in May of 2021, I contacted them by phone (when you could still do this) and asked if I could have a failed charger for the Aventure so I could use the connector. They flatly refused. The Aventure is now a dead end bike in my view. Aventon has no chargers, batteries, or brake pads for the Aventure and we are held hostage by them because they didn't plan ahead and because they use a proprietary connector. Customers are at their mercy and they don't care.
Regarding your plan to 'cannabalize' the bike and install a barrel connector, does this mean you are planning to install a different socket on the battery that will accept the barrel type? I considered using a socket and ST3 from Grin but don't have experience doing such. If you do change the battery socket and connector, please contact me via email on this site or post how this was done. I would love to do the same if it works without the sensing terminal missing from the barrel connector.
No - at least for me , the grin ST3 did not work - the plugs were completly different (look similar) but I bought three sets of male and female and not one was right - there is an evils repair shop I’m going to try in San Jose ca - he is going to attempt to instal a new socket and connector - but I’m waiting on the Avento Key now - that is also six months out!
The mechanic says he can get it opened up w/o the key. My daughter lost them as her pannier bags were stolen from her work - I will keep you posted / thank you for your input-

“we will get by - we will survive”

Dave

Interesting scenario here, and seems to be a common issue nd problem with Aventon - zero customer support. I was really thinking about the Adventure, but after reading all the problems and no support, went with Trek. Hope you can get this problem resolved. and you wold think they could get you a connector from a bad unit.

Interesting scenario here, and seems to be a common issue nd problem with Aventon - zero customer support.
Zero is being polite. Sitting here with my thumb up my backside still waiting for them to even contact me back about one of my two batteries having died after it repeatedly fell out the side of the bike while riding. Or more specifically, fell out every time I came to a stop.

When the spare seems fine.

Warranty form? Direct email to their info@? Still not a damned thing back. I swear they're trying to make me eat static long enough for the 1 year warranty to run out...

Which it now has if you count the purchase date... even though the battery failed before it.

It's such a nice bike, it's a shame they basically refuse to or are incapable of supporting their products! Takes what could be one of the best brands out there and makes it utter shite I'd never recommend to anyone.

I was going to order a third battery and second charger anyways... but now I'm tempted to say to hell with it, slog by on the working battery, and save up again for another bike from another maker that actually supports their products.

Because this is ridiculous at this point. One whole month and they can't even be bothered to answer a warranty request? Do I have to go b**** to the BBB to get a response?

Why don't u just replace the ebike charging cable connector and install WHAT u need for ur charger !
u could prob. fit an XLR 3 pin and then just connect it to the battery.

Why don't u just replace the ebike charging cable connector and install WHAT u need for ur charger !
u could prob. fit an XLR 3 pin and then just connect it to the battery.
Because Christmas only knows what the battery management board inside the pack is expecting for the data protocol on the sense wire. Setting ground or hot doesn't seem to be an override, and it doesn't seem compatible with other 3 wire chargers.

I've connected my oscilloscope and what I'm seeing is gibberish. Half tempted to add a secondary connector with a known BMS in parallel. Though since the batteries AND chargers are potted (boo, hiss) Good luck with that too.

Which of course also contributes to them being a fire hazard. Reminds me of the old power bricks for the Commodore 64 and VIC=20 that basically incinerated their insides since they too were potted.

"Potted" means flooded with something like silicone or epoxy to make it intentionally impossible to service. It's another total douchebag move, particularly on anything that can generate heat. In a "airflow? who gives a ****" way.

Since they have let me eat static on replacing my dead pack -- aka typical Aventon "support, what's that?" -- and it's now past the one year warranty (even though it broke before that) I'm probably gonna crack it open and see what I can see. I'm pretty sure from the smell it actually blew a cell. It's more acrid than what a toasted BMS would smell like. More "sour milk" than ozone.

Back