Attempted Ebike Theft Averted

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I saw this on Reddit, one guy tries to tackle a cyclist (riding a CUBE electric bike) then steal his bike but other cyclists come to help and eventually the police get involved. I usually ride with pepper spray for dogs but it would come in handy here as well ;)

I'm just glad everything worked out and nobody appeared to be badly injured. I feel sorry for the thief that he feels he must resort to theft but happy that more people are noticing and accepting ebikes. A few people in Reddit noticed it was an ebike and we're excited vs. dismissive.

Link to the Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/JusticeServed/comments/64ks3v/attempted_bike_jacking_failed/

OMG, they injured the thief... without any proof that he actually intended to steal the e-bike! Maybe he just wanted to steal the rider's wallet, or beat him up for fun. Or maybe the guy blocking the road is actually the legitimate owner of the e-bike trying to pry it away from a thief with a GoPro. This is so cruel and unfair. Call the Court of human rights. :D
Maybe he was on an overbooked United flight!

I might never get to Portugal. I'm sure it's nice.

There's at least one bystander also on an ebike. And it looked like an eyeglass shop was sponsoring a lot of the riders. Wonder if it was an organized event going on. Huh, a guy from the eyeglass shop tried to hand the victim an advertising flyer.

You'd kill someone over your bike? hmmmm

Hey, its their choice. They decided to risk their lives over a bike. They know what country they live in and they know some people in it are fiercely protective of their property. Property rights are useless unless you can protect them...to answer your question, that's what makes me better then them. I'm protecting my individual rights, they're the ones violating them and putting their own rights in jeopardy.

Hey, its their choice. They decided to risk their lives over a bike. They know what country they live in and they know some people in it are fiercely protective of their property. Property rights are useless unless you can protect them...to answer your question, that's what makes me better then them. I'm protecting my individual rights, they're the ones violating them and putting their own rights in jeopardy.

Hey dude (raymann112) you are kinda crazy for making comments like that on this forum. You carry a Glock and would blow someone away over a bike theft??
Sounds like too many Charlie Bronson films to me. Get some help and keep the streets safe with no collateral damage. Swap the Glock for some pepper spray.
Ride safe and don't be so angry dude! Keep the streets safe and just be kind to ppl. Kindness will follow you. Try it sometime! IMHO!

We had a case in my town of someone trying to break into a house at night with the owner at home. The homeowner scared off the person with a gun; but, chase him down the street. The homeowner ended up shooting the person killing him and the Homeowner is on trail for murder. The reasoning was the homeowner's property and safety wasn't in danger because the thief retreated off his property. There is good chance you could be charged with something if the thief gives up or retreats and you still shoot.

Well you're right about your rights. Just kind of on shaky (0k wrong) ground ethically.

We had a case in my town of someone trying to break into a house at night with the owner at home. The homeowner scared off the person with a gun; but, chase him down the street. The homeowner ended up shooting the person killing him and the Homeowner is on trail for murder. The reasoning was the homeowner's property and safety wasn't in danger because the thief retreated off his property. There is good chance you could be charged with something if the thief gives up or retreats and you still shoot.

I have heard this scenario one too many times! If the thief enters your property with no threat or danger to the occupants, just let him go or leave the residents immediately. Always get as far away from the intruder as possible to avoid a conviction in your own home! Strange but true. You can only justify an attack if the intruder puts you in danger by a threat. As seen on TV, they seem to always put a gun in the intruders hand after he has been shot by the homeowner. Points to ponder.
Ride Safe!

And a poor guy was tossed into Lake Michigan last night, right off the lakefront bike path in Chicago, after a gang took his phone and backpack. Luckily he made it to shore, where bystanders helped him. He was walking on the path, not riding, but it makes no difference.

You and I, Bob, we wouldn't be there, but it's a shame how unsafe the city can be. Maybe Raymann might be safe on a midnite ride.

And a poor guy was tossed into Lake Michigan last night, right off the lakefront bike path in Chicago, after a gang took his phone and backpack. Luckily he made it to shore, where bystanders helped him. He was walking on the path, not riding, but it makes no difference.

You and I, Bob, we wouldn't be there, but it's a shame how unsafe the city can be. Maybe Raymann might be safe on a midnite ride.

You've got that right Harry! I have rode the Lakefront for over 25 yrs and never had a problem day or night. I am glad the poor guy made it to safety. I never like to carry too many valuables with me when I ride. Try to just blend in. I am starting to see just a few more ebikes in Chicago here and there, mostly ridden by elderly folks. Looks like it is picking up slowly but surely. Ride Safe Harry!

While the thief was in the guys house he was within his rights to shoot, but the minute it hit the streets he turned into the bad guy. Just let the thief run and he'll probably never vome back.

While the thief was in the guys house he was within his rights to shoot, but the minute it hit the streets he turned into the bad guy. Just let the thief run and he'll probably never vome back.
...OR shoot him while he's there and he'll DEFINITELY never come back.

Enough of the violence, everyone!! That's not a solution and these comments have nothing to do with Court's original post about a guy on an ebike.

Back