Are you telling me you are carrying the spare battery in a backpack?!

I'm going to be carrying an extra Powertube 500wh with me also for longer rides (200 km +) and am leaning towards this setup on my Synapse Neo 1. Wondering how the width of this battery / bag combo is and whether or not your legs / knees hit it while pedalling?
No the knees never come close...it is not an issue. I am not sure how much longer the powertube is than the powerpack though. There is extra length room in the bag.

Ortlieb Vario

View attachment 59295
The only weakness is the lack of the bottom hook, so the pannier should be stabilised against the rack with some sort of Velcro tape. A Giant EnergyPak battery (46 cm/18" long) is inside the bag! Ortlieb Commuter Insert is there, too.
Any of the Ortliebs rear panniers can be transformed into a backpack with the Ortlieb accessory. It takes about 10seconds to do the change.

Note- Since i got the Ortliebs i have a custom cut foam that fits the ends of the battery and this way it travels very safely and secured inside the pannier. No more backpacks 😉 unless necessary for other activities or i can transform one of the Ortlieb into a backpack with that accessory.

Here:

Any of the Ortliebs rear panniers can be transformed into a backpack with the Ortlieb accessory. It takes about 10seconds to do the change.
Note- Since i got the Ortliebs i have a custom cut foam that fits the ends of the battery and this way it travels very safely and secured inside the pannier.
No more backpacks 😉 unless necessary for other activities or i can transform one of the Ortlieb into a backpack with that accessory.Here:
Here is a link to their how-to video ;)

No way am I putting a spare PowerTube on my back.
73DA1318-DFD0-49F0-A453-9F4605E79487.jpeg
2E44698D-8781-4EC4-B9CB-351B44D47396.jpeg

Anybody familiar with this ortlieb?

Can't find any info on it online. Seems like an older product. Not sure if its a pannier or trunk bag.

EVOC FR Ebike -- can carry extra battery and encourages me to bring necessary tools

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 5.22.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 5.22.53 PM.png
    833.2 KB · Views: 304
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 5.22.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 5.22.28 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 302
Dallant, very cool bag/system, it looks like you can pack quite a bit of stuff in the sausage roll;)
Who is the mfg. and do they make different sizes?
thx

Dallant, very cool bag/system, it looks like you can pack quite a bit of stuff in the sausage roll;)
Who is the mfg. and do they make different sizes?
thx
You can read all about it here...

Everyone has different likes and dislikes and what works for some, may not for all. In my case, when I first started riding an E-bike, I carried a spare battery in a backpack. I found the 8 pound battery to be quite uncomfortable to carry that way. The extra weight just caused more seat discomfort and my back would get soaked with perspiration. Carrying the weight that high also caused balance issues. I was using a cheap nylon pack back then and considered getting a better one until a fellow rider had an accident. He hit a log and went over the bars, landing on his back. Luckily, he wasn't hurt badly but if he were carrying a battery in his backpack, it could easily have been damaged.

Instead of buying a better backpack, I put the money toward a good set of panniers which I've been using for 2 years now. Yes, the weight is all on the rear tire but it is low and doesn't affect handling. Sure the battery could still be damaged in a crash but at least it gets some protection from being attached to the bike.

Just my thoughts FWIW.

Instead of buying a better backpack, I put the money toward a good set of panniers which I've been using for 2 years now. Yes, the weight is all on the rear tire but it is low and doesn't affect handling. Sure the battery could still be damaged in a crash but at least it gets some protection from being attached to the bike.
It is almost the only way unless someone's e-bike is of diamond-frame type and the solution of @Dallant could be considered.

My bikes fell on numerous occasions with the pannier/battery strapped on the rear rack without any adverse effect. The only advice I could give is:
  1. Distribute the weight evenly. If you carry a battery in a pannier on one side of the bike, any other baggage should go to another pannier at the opposite side of the bike
  2. Protect the bottom of the pannier. Put some foam at the bottom to distribute the battery weight. Or, invest in either Ortlieb Commuter Inserts or Ortlieb Camera Ultimate Insert. Both are made to protect the pannier bottom against tearing.

So much depends on battery shape/size. My tube bag only works with my PowerTube battery’s shape and that only works ON TOP OF my diamond shaped frame.
FFC624BD-B865-4C59-A333-FAA8DC9BEE7A.jpeg
483EF4A3-C8A8-4DB8-8B8A-287B12CB7CDA.jpeg

A word of caution when carrying a battery in a Pannier. Trails, paths & roads sometimes use pipe stanchions or iron gates to control vehicle traffic. Often, the spacing of these obstacles is barely sufficient for a bike to pass through. Panniers can easily strike one of these iron posts as you pass through and can cause damage to a plastic battery case. My first such incident luckily didn't cause any damage but alerted me to the possibility. I now wrap the battery in foam for added protection and go very slowly through these narrow openings. Sometimes, I'll even walk the bike if there is any question of clearance.

I know this sounds like common sense but if you're like me, you are so used to cruising through these obstacles, you don't give it much thought. A busted battery case is a hard way to learn a lesson.

Trails, paths & roads sometimes use pipe stanchions or iron gates to control vehicle traffic. Often, the spacing of these obstacles is barely sufficient for a bike to pass through.
When in doubt, I always walk my bike between such obstacles, and if I ride, I ride at minimum speed...

A word of caution when carrying a battery in a Pannier. Trails, paths & roads sometimes use pipe stanchions or iron gates to control vehicle traffic. Often, the spacing of these obstacles is barely sufficient for a bike to pass through. Panniers can easily strike one of these iron posts as you pass through and can cause damage to a plastic battery case. My first such incident luckily didn't cause any damage but alerted me to the possibility. I now wrap the battery in foam for added protection and go very slowly through these narrow openings. Sometimes, I'll even walk the bike if there is any question of clearance.

I know this sounds like common sense but if you're like me, you are so used to cruising through these obstacles, you don't give it much thought. A busted battery case is a hard way to learn a lesson.

I keep my spare in an Ortlieb eMate pannier. I have a thick piece of styrofoam cut out that fits inside the pannier, and surrounds the battery on all sides. Gives protection in a crash. I've had a few falls on the trails with the spare in the pannier and no damage.

I keep my spare in an Ortlieb eMate pannier. I have a thick piece of styrofoam cut out that fits inside the pannier, and surrounds the battery on all sides. Gives protection in a crash. I've had a few falls on the trails with the spare in the pannier and no damage.
My E-Mate is on loan with my brother. I found the E-Mate adequate for the Specialized Vado/Como battery (it fits with some difficulty) but no chance to fit the long Giant EnergyPak Smart there. I thought bikeman you were riding a Giant?

My E-Mate is on loan with my brother. I found the E-Mate adequate for the Specialized Vado/Como battery (it fits with some difficulty) but no chance to fit the long Giant EnergyPak Smart there. I thought bikeman you were riding a Giant?

I have a yamaha middrive with the external downtube battery. Fits fine in emate.

No way am I putting a spare PowerTube on my back.
View attachment 70428View attachment 70429
https://ortliebusa.com/product/frame-pack-tt-4l-matt-black/ I have a 2020 Vado 5.0. The goal is to have 3 batteries and use 2 Ortlieb Toptune Frame Packs to carry the batteries. This bag is 19 inches long and the batteries do fit well. One on the top of the tube and one below it. The weight is centered and balanced. I find putting the batteries in the side panniers is less balanced. $160US is a bit steep. The quality is there.

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    448 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    525.5 KB · Views: 371
Back