Are you telling me you are carrying the spare battery in a backpack?!

https://ortliebusa.com/product/frame-pack-tt-4l-matt-black/ I have a 2020 Vado 5.0. The goal is to have 3 batteries and use 2 Ortlieb Toptune Frame Packs to carry the batteries. This bag is 19 inches long and the batteries do fit well. One on the top of the tube and one below it. The weight is centered and balanced. I find putting the batteries in the side panniers is less balanced. $160US is a bit steep. The quality is there.
Nice. The weight rating (6.6lb) covers the battery weight (6.2lb) as well. Do your Vado batteries each have the cover attached? This eBay Seller has this Ortlieb bag for $120. I've purchased from them in the past with very good results.

With similar dimensions this Revelant bag might be worth a look as well, esp at $90. I couldn't find a weight rating but Revelant makes good gear...

Nice. The weight rating (6.6lb) covers the battery weight (6.2lb) as well. Do your Vado batteries each have the cover attached? This eBay Seller has this Ortlieb bag for $120. I've purchased from them in the past with very good results.

With similar dimensions this Revelant bag might be worth a look as well, esp at $90. I couldn't find a weight rating but Revelant makes good gear...
I see this BlackBurn bag online.The 19" version (Large) should work to fit the Vado battery. https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/outpost-large-bike-frame-bag/.

Some extra information that might be of interest for you.

I equipped my Trance E+ e-MTB with Topeak TetraRack rear rack last Summer. The rack was rated for 12 kg (26 lbs) max. Initially, I was not happy with that rack very much. The rack (one of very few suitable for full suspension MTB) is attached to the rear triangle of the bike with strong Velcro zip-ties. Loaded with panniers, and especially while riding the bike in rough terrain, the rack was too flexible, with the tendency to move sideways and endangering the spokes to be hit by the panniers and the rear tyre to be rubbed by the rack.

My brother took the matters in his own hands at that time. He used the "liquid head gasket" (a super-strong glue for motor cars) to totally immobilise the rack on the seat-stays. He also made some bumpers on the vertical stays of the rack to make the pannier bump rather the "bumper" than the spokes. Can take a picture in the morning.

To make the long story short: a 12 kg rack can easily stand 20 kg (44 lbs) now :)

I have a yamaha middrive with the external downtube battery. Fits fine in emate.
Hello bikeman,
I also have a yamaha middrive. This is my do everything ride. The spare battery slips into the pannier. If I make a run where I only need one battery I use a Camelback pack with the bladder removed. The Giant battery slides right through the top opening. That way the bike is disabled. I just throw it on when I go in the grocery. Often keep the security cable and lock inside the Camelback just for always knowing where it is stored. If I have enough food, etc. that the pack won't fold up then I just wear it home.

Attachments

• 20201130_164907.jpg
    20201130_164907.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 333
  • 20201130_170124.jpg
    20201130_170124.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 323
Some extra information that might be of interest for you.

I equipped my Trance E+ e-MTB with Topeak TetraRack rear rack last Summer. The rack was rated for 12 kg (26 lbs) max. Initially, I was not happy with that rack very much. The rack (one of very few suitable for full suspension MTB) is attached to the rear triangle of the bike with strong Velcro zip-ties. Loaded with panniers, and especially while riding the bike in rough terrain, the rack was too flexible, with the tendency to move sideways and endangering the spokes to be hit by the panniers and the rear tyre to be rubbed by the rack.

My brother took the matters in his own hands at that time. He used the "liquid head gasket" (a super-strong glue for motor cars) to totally immobilise the rack on the seat-stays. He also made some bumpers on the vertical stays of the rack to make the pannier bump rather the "bumper" than the spokes. Can take a picture in the morning.

To make the long story short: a 12 kg rack can easily stand 20 kg (44 lbs) now :)

Check out Old Man Mountain racks. They will probably ship to Poland. Works perfectly with a full suspension and dropper post. I wouldn't use any other rack now that I found them.

Check out Old Man Mountain racks. They will probably ship to Poland. Works perfectly with a full suspension and dropper post. I wouldn't use any other rack now that I found them.
Thank you! I've known about the brand. It even is not the price that scared me off. The point is, they use International First Class Mail, and that's never worked well for shipments to Poland :D I wonder why a company that sells a US$210 rack cannot offer a DHL shipment... :(

https://ortliebusa.com/product/frame-pack-tt-4l-matt-black/ I have a 2020 Vado 5.0. The goal is to have 3 batteries and use 2 Ortlieb Toptune Frame Packs to carry the batteries. This bag is 19 inches long and the batteries do fit well. One on the top of the tube and one below it. The weight is centered and balanced. I find putting the batteries in the side panniers is less balanced. $160US is a bit steep. The quality is there.
This is what I’m planning to do, I can only do it sitting on top of the horizontal bar though, as there’s not enough room to fit it hanging down because it clashes with the existing mounted battery. Should be a good solution though I hope, or I have a bike trailer I can chuck anything in, but the bike isn’t as nimble when towing.

The Ultimate Presentation of The Ortlieb Commuter Inserts

View attachment 49551
The simplest setup: A single Vado battery in the rather flat but tall "laptop" part of the Insert. It is my choice for the maximum battery stability on the ride. However, the battery can also be placed in the shorter by deeper part of the Inserts without any adverse effects.

View attachment 49552
The Inserts with the battery inside an Ortlieb Bike-Packer pannier.

View attachment 49553
Now, two batteries (a short and a long one), waterproof pants, a wallet and two water bottles.

View attachment 49554
Upping the ante: The long battery out and a large telephoto 70-200 mm f/2.8 zoom lens fitted instead.

View attachment 49555
If I wanted to put the items as in the previous photo to a pannier, the Bike-Packer would do. If I, however, want to stuff the pannier with a photographic tripod in addition, it has to be the Back Roller Plus (it is taller).

View attachment 49556
Done!

If anyone would like to see how to use the shorter and deeper part of the inserts, I can take more photos 😊
Thank you for posting this. Because of this post, I bought the Ortlieb backroller panniers and the insert. I will use this to carry an extra battery and see how it goes. I needed the Classic Ortlieb Backroller panniers because sometimes it gets muddy on rides and I need to be able to easily clean the panniers. Now I need better riding weather with less icy trails! Oh and the extra battery which I have on order.

Last edited:
I bought the Ortlieb bankroller panniers and the insert. I will use this to carry an extra battery and see how it goes.
Glad to hear that!

I want to draw your attention to a single detail that you might easily overlook. There is the top bar with hooks in the pannier. The bar is mounted with three bolts with nuts inside the pannier. Ortlieb explicitly recommends retightening the bolts every, say, 300 km. If you do not do so, you might end up with a loosened (and lost) bolt on one of your rides. That happened to me on some long ride.

I think it would be the easiest to secure these bolts with a threadlocker such as Loctite Blue right from the beginning!

Glad to hear that!

I want to draw your attention to a single detail that you might easily overlook. There is the top bar with hooks in the pannier. The bar is mounted with three bolts with nuts inside the pannier. Ortlieb explicitly recommends retightening the bolts every, say, 300 km. If you do not do so, you might end up with a loosened (and lost) bolt on one of your rides. That happened to me on some long ride.

I think it would be the easiest to secure these bolts with a threadlocker such as Loctite Blue right from the beginning!
That's good advice as I ride on bumpy trails sometimes and things often get loosened!

Glad to hear that!

Sometimes you do post useful info...

As a matter of fact, I carried a 4 kg spare battery in an Ortlieb Vario backpack today. I was on an off-road group ride with my brother's Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro. As the e-bike has no rack now (and you do not want things shake and wobble), I had to use the backpack :) So what?

As a matter of fact, I carried a 4 kg spare battery in an Ortlieb Vario backpack today. I was on an off-road group ride with my brother's Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro. As the e-bike has no rack now (and you do not want things shake and wobble), I had to use the backpack :) So what?
I've used the Ortlieb pannier with the computer insert a couple times now. I went on a trail yesterday and had the spare battery plus warm clothes (weather is so unpredictable this time of year) and it works out well and I'm also carrying my regular rack bag with all the necessities (mini pump, CO2 cartridges/filler, Güp, first aid kit, etc)

As per usual stefan talks in absolutes, speaking as the resident expert on all things ebike. But as per usual he is WRONG. The sooner some of you wake up to his thirsty posts the better.

The actual experts on ebikes carry spare batteries in backpacks, there are even integrated systems in backpacks for batteries.

Note how many riders carry backpacks - they have their spares in them.

But of course stefan will tell them how they're doing it wrong and ought to get some panniers, and of course a weather station.

Remember folks....

Ad.jpg

The only absolutes he talks are bollocks.

Yes true but secretly I wished I was young and foolish enough to try one of those things (-:
I love my electric unicycle 90 miles on 1 charge I love the feeling so now I have an ebike but if the girlfriend comes I use my unicycle and she has the bike , we going to buy another bike for her 1 day

Attachments

• 20220411_124850.jpg
    20220411_124850.jpg
    874.5 KB · Views: 142
Back