Are you telling me you are carrying the spare battery in a backpack?!

Very interesting! This has me thinking that the EU must have been difficult to create.

Think you can take a measurement of the width of your seatstays that the rack clamps on to for me?

I can't tell if it will fit my bike, and don't want to order it and then find I am stuck with it because it doesn't fit. Thanks.

Think you can take a measurement of the width of your seatstays that the rack clamps on to for me?

I can't tell if it will fit my bike, and don't want to order it and then find I am stuck with it because it doesn't fit. Thanks.
The stays are not parallel they are wider at the bottom and narrower at the top and the rack can be mounted higher or lower. Can I see a pic of your bike ? What bike ,model and year is it?

Attached are some pics. BH Rebel Lynx 2018, PWX. The manual says the rack is 200mm in length.

The width of my seatstays closest to the frame is 110mm. I then measured the width of the seatstays at a length of 200mm from that point, and measured a width 145mm. Based on the manual, it would appear the rack will not fit.

Would be very curious how my measurements compare to your bike - as we have the same rear hub spacing. The only place I can find in the US that sells the rack won't take it back if I open it and it doesn't fit.

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 353
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 345
  • bike 3.jpg
    bike 3.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 351
  • bike 4.jpg
    bike 4.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 336
Attached are some pics. BH Rebel Lynx 2018, PWX. The manual says the rack is 200mm in length.

The width of my seatstays closest to the frame is 110mm. I then measured the width of the seatstays at a length of 200mm from that point, and measured a width 145mm. Based on the manual, it would appear the rack will not fit.

Would be very curious how my measurements compare to your bike - as we have the same rear hub spacing. The only place I can find in the US that sells the rack won't take it back if I open it and it doesn't fit.
I cannot understand why it would not fit. What in the manual suggests that is the case? But I notice that your tire is closer to the top of the stays than mine appear so there is not much clearance room for the straps in case you need /want to position rack in there. What brand of tires are those 2.8" bad boys? If it was me I would take the chance ...but I don't mind taking this kind of risk and please do not blame me if you cannot make it work.

Last edited:
Do you have the tetrarack? I am also interested in this rack but don't see any reviews. It doesn't seem to be available in USA yet.

It looks like Amazon now has both the front and rear Topeak Tetrarack in stock.

I cannot understand why it would not fit. What in the manual suggests that is the case? But I notice that your tire is closer to the top of the stays than mine appear so there is not much clearance room for the straps in case you need /want to position rack in there. What brand of tires are those 2.8" bad boys? If it was me I would take the chance ...but I don't mind taking this kind of risk and please do not blame me if you cannot make it work.

If you look on page 2 of the manual that you linked:

It says for the tetra rack M2 it is compatible with seatstay width between 95 mm and 125 mm.

My seatstay width, as I mentioned, ranges from 110 mm to 145 mm where the rack would be clamped. So the bike seatstays appears to be too wide for the rack

However, as we both have the same 2.8" tires (I have schwable nobbe nics), and rear hub spacing, I suspect it might work nonetheless.

I was curious what your seatstay width on your bike is, where you have the rack clamped, for comparison.

It says for the tetra rack M2 it is compatible with seatstay width between 95 mm and 125 mm.

My seatstay width, as I mentioned, ranges from 110 mm to 145 mm where the rack would be clamped. So the bike seatstays appears to be too wide for the rack

However, as we both have the same 2.8" tires (I have schwable nobbe nics), and rear hub spacing, I suspect it might work nonetheless.

I was curious what your seatstay width on your bike is, where you have the rack clamped, for comparison.
My seat-stay distance ranges from 110-170 mm and the thickness is 25 mm (Tetrarack M2 allows 15 mm). Unluckily that eliminates the rack from the equation. Well, nothing will spoil the beauty of my Trance and I need to carry a backpack, as any decent MTB-er does ;) I see no option to carry the battery in the backpack. I'd rather order the EnergyPak Smart 625 when the time comes to extend the range of my e-MTB. Said that, I need to point out the 500 Wh Giant battery is good for up to 70 km in my case, and such a distance means a lot off-road.

On mine the lower straps are parked about 165 mm apart measuring from the outside of the stays . I suspected you had Schwalbes since the side clearance looks tight. These Maxxis are only about 2.65 even though they call them 2.8" . You can position the rack higher or lower on the stays but you might want to switch to 2.6" on the back tire to avoid the tire rubbing . The shape of your tubing appears more rounded and fatter and mine is more of a rectangle which works well to help secure the straps but again I think it will work for you.

Last edited:
My seat-stay distance ranges from 110-170 mm and the thickness is 25 mm (Tetrarack M2 allows 15 mm). Unluckily that eliminates the rack from the equation. Well, nothing will spoil the beauty of my Trance and I need to carry a backpack, as any decent MTB-er does ;) I see no option to carry the battery in the backpack. I'd rather order the EnergyPak Smart 625 when the time comes to extend the range of my e-MTB. Said that, I need to point out the 500 Wh Giant battery is good for up to 70 km in my case, and such a distance means a lot off-road.
I really think it would work for you too Stefan , my stays are 38mm at the widest part of the rectangular stays where they meet the lower strap of the rack. I do not understand how they arrived at the spec numbers they use in the manual.

Last edited:
It appears that the rack is hinged and has more than adequate clearance for wide MTB seat stays.

The manual probably is referring to the base of the upper load plate dimensions and not the lower mount.

Take a look at the short video link below to see the range of adjustability during the installation process. ;)

1591890070712.png

Alright well it seems there was only one tetra rack M2 left in stock in the entire USA so I went ahead and ordered it...fingers crossed.

Congratulations ... I was just about to press the order button. Please post a few photos of your accomplishments when you can.

Detuer e-Pocket backpack insert has arrived.

Deuter E-Pocket

Dimensions and capacity:

Deuter e-Pocket label front.jpg

Deuter e-Pocket label back.jpg

With Yamaha battery (overal high quality, battery pocket padding seems strong):

Deuter e-Pocket with Yamaha battery closed.jpg

Deuter e-Pocket with Yamaha battery.jpg

The back reinforced plate is stiff but thin. Proper dimensions for the backpack, for the panniers a bit small.

Deuter e-Pocket reinforced back.jpg

How it works with Topeak MTX Trunkbag DXP (I would say nearly perfect - the backplate it a bit small, but with the pannier closed the fit is perfect, the battery is not moving at all, possibly the zipper is under a bit too much tension):

Deuter e-Pocket in Topeak MTX Trunkbag DXP external view.jpg

Deuter e-Pocket in Topeak MTX Trunkbag DXP lid closed.jpg

Deuter e-Pocket in Topeak MTX Trunkbag DXP lid open.jpg

And this is what happens if you ride too much with your battery just tossed into the bag (without the padded protection of the e-Pocket). I hope the e-Pocket will remedy this (holes on the bottom caused by the heavy battery). This could be probably avoided by putting a piece of cloth between the battery and the pannier.

Topeak MTX Trunkbag DXP holes.jpg

And as originally intended by Deuter, with their Superbike 18 EXP backpack (for more aggresive riding):

Deuter e-Pocket 18l  backpack.jpg

The backpack layout helps to keep the e-Pocket in place - the internal waterpack pocket + orange strap at the top - part of Deuter backpacks (while the pocket in the backpack helps with the stability, the strap I don't consider critical):

Deuter e-Pocket and Yamaha battery.jpg

Deuter e-Pocket and Yamaha battery inside lid open.jpg

And finally - the velcros for keeping the power supply in place are too short for Yamaha power supply (you can check this even at their company photo on the label - the first one in this review):

Deuter e-Pocket power supply too big.jpg

Last edited:
I'm late to this thread as I just joined and wanted to share my experience/setup here. Reading through this thread I realize very much I simply 'got lucky' with the combination of batteries and bags I went with - thanks for the tips about better protecting the insides of the bags against wear and such!

The batteries I carry are Bionx 11.6Ah which weigh a little under 9lbs each. I built up a Giant Toughroad SLR 2 last year with Jones Bars, a Bionx D500 motor (the first one I every bought on a cheap bike in 2017) and for bags I went with the easy to use Ibera rack, top bag and panniers:

Rack: http://www.ibera.info/products_detail.php?cID=2&Key=31
Top Bag: http://www.ibera.info/products_detail.php?cID=1&Key=4
Panniers: http://www.ibera.info/products_detail.php?cID=1&Key=19
*everything was available at least last year on Amazon.

For my 'longer' rides my setup is to carry water bottles and food in the top bag and 5 batteries total - 1 on the downtube and 2 in each pannier. The panniers are rated for 25lbs each I believe so the 18lbs of batteries I put in has been fine and since the Bionx batteries are 'rounded corners' along with riding only on roads - I haven't seen any wear in the panniers - but! I will look to add a bit of padding to the bottom now that I read this thread (thank you).

Here's a photo of my bike setup with 5 batteries and 6 water bottles (4 in the top bag, 2 on the mounts) for a typical long day out:

2019-09-14 16.38.38.jpg

And yes, with that much weight on the bike, and no where to install a mounted kickstand - I love the Click Stand I found and use anytime I don't have something easy to lean the bike up against.

Last year I did get adventurous and did 2 rides with all 7 of my batteries. I put the final two in the top bag for a total of 6 (54lbs) of batteries on the rear rack. Don't forget I'm a 270lb rider on top of the seat as well, lol.

It worked...but at that weight the front wheel would get loose and wobble above 30kmph, causing me to have to stand up and lean over the front to give it more weight (only happened on downhills thankfully). With that issue aside, I managed to a 150km and 163km ride out with over 1,200m of elevation thanks to all the batteries I had with me.

This year I'm both building a new bike that I will share with once complete with extra battery capacity and until then riding this bike but with a new setup. The new setup is to better carry multiple batteries and also other gear with me, grocery store runs, camping gear for weekends away (hopefully campgrounds open soon) - all done by going with a Burley CoHo trailer that I can use with most of my bikes simply by upgrading to the 'Burley Ballz' (love that name, lol) for the attachment point.

2020-05-25 12.27.56.jpg

The trailer rolls along at 40kmph without problem, even with the larger 3" 'fatty' tire installed and the spring suspension works great for protecting the load inside the trailer. I will try out the skinnier 'road' tire that it came with originally as well but with the 3" tire working well on road it also means it will be ready to go for dirt/single track riding when I hook on to my other bikes.

Above I was out with 4 batteries in the trailer and all my water bottles in the top bag. I could have added the panniers but simply did not need them for this day - I did 85kms riding between towns with battery life to spare.

My goal is to pick campgrounds 100-120km away (lots of them within that range from my place I have learned) and pack up with tent, batteries, food/water and chargers for a weekend and to out, enjoy the time outdoors and ride back.

Thanks again for the tips shared in this thread. Hope I helped with what I have shared as well.

Cheers

Last edited:
I really think it would work for you too Stefan , my stays are 38mm at the widest part of the rectangular stays where they meet the lower strap of the rack. I do not understand how they arrived at the spec numbers they use in the manual.

I installed my tetra rack today and it seems to be secure and fine. I agree, the manual doesn't make sense. I don't know how they arrived at their seat stay width and diameter, but it should fit most bikes just fine.

The Tetra Rack website says that is is compatible with:

Also compatible with KLICKfix® / RackTime® Snapit or Vario system bags.

Anybody know what these bags are that can be used with the rack?

I installed my tetra rack today and it seems to be secure and fine. I agree, the manual doesn't make sense. I don't know how they arrived at their seat stay width and diameter, but it should fit most bikes just fine.

The Tetra Rack website says that is is compatible with:

Also compatible with KLICKfix® / RackTime® Snapit or Vario system bags.

Anybody know what these bags are that can be used with the rack?
Uncle Steve told you it would work (-:

Uncle Steve told you it would work (-:

What is the trunk bag you have on your tetra rack?

And do you know what the "Vario system bags" are that Topeak is referring to in the Tetra Rack item description?

To anybody else reading this, I think as long as your tire width is 2.8" or less, it should fit fine. Seems pretty sturdy as well. Have yet to put weight on it.

Detuer e-Pocket backpack insert has arrived.

Deuter E-Pocket

Dimensions and capacity:

View attachment 55595
View attachment 55596

With Yamaha battery (overal high quality, battery pocket padding seems strong):

View attachment 55597
View attachment 55598

The back reinforced plate is stiff but thin. Proper dimensions for the backpack, for the panniers a bit small.

View attachment 55600

How it works with Topeak MTX Trunkbag DXP (I would say nearly perfect - the backplate it a bit small, but with the pannier closed the fit is perfect, the battery is not moving at all, possibly the zipper is under a bit too much tension):

View attachment 55601
View attachment 55602
View attachment 55613

And this is what happens if you ride too much with your battery just tossed into the bag (without the padded protection of the e-Pocket). I hope the e-Pocket will remedy this (holes on the bottom caused by the heavy battery). This could be probably avoided by putting a piece of cloth between the battery and the pannier.

View attachment 55605

And as originally intended by Deuter, with their Superbike 18 EXP backpack (for more aggresive riding):

View attachment 55607

The backpack layout helps to keep the e-Pocket in place - the internal waterpack pocket + orange strap at the top - part of Deuter backpacks (while the pocket in the backpack helps with the stability, the strap I don't consider critical):

View attachment 55608

View attachment 55610

And finally - the velcros for keeping the power supply in place are too short for Yamaha power supply (you can check this even at their company photo on the label - the first one in this review):

View attachment 55612

Nice find for transporting batteries... thanks for sharing.

Back