Are you happy with your ebike’s noise levels? E-motor, tires, shifting, etc.

Depends what it sounds like. should it sound like that? the main problem is if it is a new noise!
I have used Hope Hubs on load's of bikes and they emmit a lot of sound, but it sounds right! you even get some people stripping greece from other types of freehub to get a similar noise. But as a general rule noisy freehubs (that are noisy due to design) are more durable and have better pickup, take brands like Hope I mentioned and other top end brand's like Industry 9, Reynolds etc they are all loud.

I'm fine with extra noise as long as it does not sound broken! like my Impulse motors always will end up doing.
But in this case it is very quiet when it is not being noisy, fyi I do not recommend this motor. At its worst it can sound like a duck! and it can be fine one moment and not the next, and then fine again for a extra 100 miles or so.
A bearing change will solve this for a short time but due to dubious design the bearings get hammered. Sometimes within 500 miles.
I have 2 motors for this bike I purchased a second as a replacement but repaired the one it replaced now so I can hotswap them and restore the one I am not using.
Over 15000 miles but I have lost count of the times it has either had a new motor from warranties on the original or the extra one I purchased or a self restored one from one of those. But it is getting close to double figures. (the failure rate and millage achieved has been equal (but still kinda random at the same time) between restored and brand new)

I have a Bafang Ultra on my newer bike and it does make a reasonably high level of noise but it is a noise that I expect it to make, it does not sound like it is falling apart inside, it is not offensive so it does not bother me, It is a much heavier duty type of part than your average Bosch etc or the Impulse I was using so I expect the noise to be a little more audable, but this also gives you a better idea of how and when it is working with you.

Tire noise again I like, to be honest (probably fom coming from a more MTB type of background) it gives you extra infomation perhaps subconciously about the type of terrain and grip you have.

Last edited:
I’m betting that’s a fairly universal reaction to meeting oncoming traffic but if I’m passing I am fine with them hearing it...as long as I’m not passing them too fast!😎

And very much this I love a loud rear hub for this very reason it is a automatic bell, If you ride with a bit of sense and slow down before passing them eg stop pedeling. They soon know you are there with a Hope hub installed.
I also turn down my power to pass people certainly on the ultra bike

Last edited:
My Espin Sport with hub motor is quiet. I can hear a hum when it speeds up. Nothing rattles. Tires are grippy and quiet. My hydraulic disk brakes make no noise.

I found the noise of the tires was louder than my motor, so I changed them to VEE's speedsters, now I hear my motor over my tires.
In video's I have watched the quietest motors are the bbshd and Brose.

Yamaha Pw-se whines on the uphills when in the clown gears. But I'm usually concentrating on the trail and don't notice it.

Tire noise, it depends on your riding, I have Knobby Nics and they are loud on pavement, silent on dirt.

Back