Are you going to ride in snow?

The Marathons on your Vado would likely fare better in the snow since the factory tread blocking also contains shallow micro sipes (zig zag cuts) which enhance traction in wet or snowy conditions by adding more biting edges. This type of tire technology has long been used in the vehicle tire industry and has been known to be quite effective when employed on bonafide winter tires.
Snow tires are also made with softer rubber that stays pliable in cold temperatures. My Marathon GT 365 tires have the micro sipes as described by Prairie Dog, as well as a soft rubber compound. They have proven to have good traction for me in up to 4” of fresh snow.

Attachments

• E2C43ADB-E4D3-45C7-8EC8-3B472E2865D4.jpeg
    E2C43ADB-E4D3-45C7-8EC8-3B472E2865D4.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 212
I wonder what I'm doing wrong not to be able to ride in the snow at all...
I run all four wheels on my car on snow tires in the winter. The regular all-season tires, even with prominent tread, just spin and provide poor directional control. It’s largely down to the conventional rubber compound becoming even harder and slippery in very cold temperatures.

I run all four wheels on my car on snow tires in the winter. The regular all-season tires, even with prominent tread, just spin and provide poor directional control. It’s largely down to the conventional rubber compound becoming even harder and slippery in very cold temperatures.
I haven’t had actual snow tires on a vehicle since the ‘80s. Ever since really good all-weather radials on FWD or AWD became a thing, snow tires just seemed unnecessary. Siping is really important on all-weathers of course, and some compounds are better than others.
Bottom line, you can lose control no matter what tires you have if you don’t drive for the conditions.

Another day of not riding in the snow - cooking instead.

Thai flavoured Rice pudding. Flavoured with Ginger, Lemongrass, Citrus zest and super creamy with Coconut milk.
Done in slow cooker and I'll be packaging and delivering some to my mother and some nearby friends as care packages for the extra wintery weather.

I can't make this unless I am able to ride soon, as it tends to taste like "lot's more" and I need the cycling to moderate the caloric load...

There's snow and there's snow.

As a skier, we searched for what is referred to as "champagne powder", which usually meant we were skiing in colder weather and therefore the snow was very dry and light. Those days we skied the glades and bowls.
But I've also skied in warmer weather where it was basically raining in the lower altitudes on the mountains (West Kootenays - Red Mountain comes to mind) and the snow had much different properties. Those days we skied the bumps and also searched for areas with more skiable conditions.

Last week I went to ride on my normal trails just west of me, and I couldn't ride in the snow. It was too warm and the snow was too deep once your wheels broke through.
My front wheel would dig in and it took all my skills and strength to stay upright.
The back tire would chew up the snow as well and I really couldn't progress.
If it was colder - like right now, I'd be fine out there. It would be like riding on bumpy pavement (albeit rather slippery).

In my opinion:
If your spikes can't grab anything, you will struggle, and with any depth of snow you will be impacted.
You will also be affected by the moisture levels in the snow.
Different widths of tires will offer different benefits I would imagine - just like on a car.

There's snow and there's snow.

As a skier, we searched for what is referred to as "champagne powder", which usually meant we were skiing in colder weather and therefore the snow was very dry and light. Those days we skied the glades and bowls.
But I've also skied in warmer weather where it was basically raining in the lower altitudes on the mountains (West Kootenays - Red Mountain comes to mind) and the snow had much different properties. Those days we skied the bumps and also searched for areas with more skiable conditions.

Last week I went to ride on my normal trails just west of me, and I couldn't ride in the snow. It was too warm and the snow was too deep once your wheels broke through.
My front wheel would dig in and it took all my skills and strength to stay upright.
The back tire would chew up the snow as well and I really couldn't progress.
If it was colder - like right now, I'd be fine out there. It would be like riding on bumpy pavement (albeit rather slippery).

In my opinion:
If your spikes can't grab anything, you will struggle, and with any depth of snow you will be impacted.
You will also be affected by the moisture levels in the snow.
Different widths of tires will offer different benefits I would imagine - just like on a car.
Red Mountain this morning on my way to work ... -14 and now -4.

Attachments

• 385831A1-7FE4-4622-81F8-6B8D7F25A45E.jpeg
    385831A1-7FE4-4622-81F8-6B8D7F25A45E.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 204
Ice Spiker Pro are not directional. Marathon Winter Plus are.

Thank you very much Randall for the explanation! It must be as you say.
It's certainly my interpretation of what i personally have experienced. I would suggest that there are certainly more experienced winter riders than I, and hopefully they'll add their own experiences and opinions to this topic.

Some winter poetry, locally focused.
We experience only light frost here. It is snow that keeps me at home! It's evening my time; I'm still at work. I would ride out to buy some ale but probably would not do that since the snow properties haven't changed since Monday. (Yes, I can drive out; it would be shame on me to do that).

I wonder what I'm doing wrong not to be able to ride in the snow at all...
I would have to concur with Randall. Unless there is some degree of a compact base or ice underneath the snow it would be difficult to attain decent traction. @Lattitude appears to get good results from his all-season Marathon GTs but I don’t know if the compound of the A/S rubber tread is any different than that of your winter Marathons or what his base conditions were at the time. That being said, the fact that the 365’s are not studded won’t help much in icy conditions which goes back to my original comment with respect to not one tire being able to do it all. I can only speculate that there are many factors at play when it comes to how tires perform in the winter from ambient temperature, base conditions, tread compound/configuration, tire pressure, as well as snow depth.

The ground conditions on the trails and paths that I ride on are almost always covered with hard packed snow or partial ice and so getting around for me isn’t too difficult, relatively speaking. With a few inches of fresh snow on top it’s doable but can be somewhat of a grind getting through it especially on a standard bike.

Guys! Success! I've been working all day long (from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. with an occasional nap in the afternoon). I thought to myself I became soft, so put the clothes on and rode out with my Monster (low pressure Ice Spikers). Snow got more packed by cars, making the ride safer. (Yes, bends were very dangerous because of accumulated snow). From time to time Monster was slightly drifting (when more snow was encountered). Interestingly, riding onto some rare ice patches made the studs sing and that was like angels were singing as that meant full traction being restored! :)

While the average speed during the Snow Calamity was 9.2 km/h, I got as much as 14.4 today. Big progress!

Bought some craft ales and white wine :)

The First Snow & Ice Ride On Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus Tyres

No prisoners taken! :) I'm very serious about all year round e-bike riding. My brother helped replacing my regular slick Electrak 2.0 tyres with Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus, the studded 28x2.0" ones. With allowed inflation pressure of 2.5-5.0 bar, we chose 3 bar (58 psi) for better traction and smooth riding.

This morning, I had a chance to test the new tyres on snow & ice, at "black-ice" conditions. I was enchanted with the winter Marathons! Was it deep snow in my yard or thin ice on roads, studded Marathons held perfectly. For sanity (and to give the studs the chance to break in -- which disallows sudden braking), I rode decently slowly. No issues: just pleasure to ride! The biggest surprise was how quiet those tyres have been! (I had a single stronger braking - again, no issues).

Now I cannot understand how anyone can ride in true winter conditions without studded tyres... :) Yes, these are twice as expensive as the regular ones.

View attachment 76651

I have to add I use "traction devices" on my boots, too. It makes little sense to use studded tyres if the soles of your shoes are not studded as well :)
Stefan ...right on about the studs in Winter...all it takes is bit of ice under the snow and you are down for the count . ADD Knee and elbow pads to save you a trip to the ER when you do take a fall.

Last edited:
all it takes is bit of ice under the snow and you are down for the count .
What you say Steve is true for regular (even wide) tyres. I had already had a crash like that -- precisely as you described it -- instant and face down. That's why I changed to Ice Spiker Pro. The studded tyres I'm using now just love having ice beneath them. It is because they get full traction just on ice. (Full suspension helps as well, as it ensures both wheels maintaining contact with the ground at all times).

I'm just back from a short grocery shopping at -14 C (wind chill factor -23 C). As Randall and PD said before, the properties of snow are much variable. My Monster rode on frozen packed snow just fantastically this morning! I actually was choosing ice patches for riding wherever they have been. I could watch front wheels of a car slipping at an intersection; Monster crossed the same junction just majestically :)

Last edited:
We've had Wed AM 1 cm sleet over 5 mm freezing rain. I'm afraid to walk out there, without a strap on helmet. Don't own any crampons or spiked shoes. Now it is 18 deg F headed for 8 tomorrow night. Treadable on grass, but all pavement is an ice rink. No biking on knobby tires, of course. I'm afraid of cars turning corner, crashing into my parked car 3 m off pavement. Was a video on NBC of tractor trailers plowing into each other W of Ft Worth yesterday - killed 6. Fed Ex tractor launched 2 m in the air over a car piled up against previous.
Fortunately my house heat is all gas, no electricity required. thousands without as ice took down lines.

Last edited:
Back