Are you going to ride in snow?

I'm contemplating heading out to Lake Louise later this winter and riding on the lake, or at least trying to. Not sure what the Chateau people may think. Otherwise there are other places.

I have some work mates who go play hockey on the lakes in the rockies. They both have the big NCAA champion rings from winning the Frozen 4 tourney in 2014 with Clarkson.
I'm sure they'll have some good suggestions for lake riding, as i certainly couldn't skate with them anymore, If ever... Now I need to find a film crew! 😁
Beautiful... sign me up!

1612492201553.png

Last edited:
I'm jealous as the Spiker Pros are not available for my new ride which is a 29'er.
What is the tyre width you need? And come again, you've got a new ride?! I must have missed something... Or can'remember. What's that?

What is the tyre width you need? And come again, you've got a new ride?! I must have missed something... Or can'remember. What's that?
You heard right. Daddy’s gotta new set of wheels! I staked claim on a Trance XE Pro 29‘er. It’s still over 700 kms away but at least I can say that she’s all mine. I had to settle for the Wrathchilds as the Ice Spiker Pros were not available in a 2.6. Still, I have to admit that 252 XL studs isn’t too shabby. My hope is to hang on to the Trek when the weather turns really nasty and cold but my better half is telling me otherwise.:(

You heard right. Daddy’s gotta new set of wheels! I staked claim on a Trance XE Pro 29‘er. It’s still over 700 kms away but at least I can say that she’s all mine. I had to settle for the Wrathchilds as the Ice Spiker Pros were not available in a 2.6. Still, I have to admit that 252 XL studs isn’t too shabby. My hope is to hang on to the Trek when the weather turns really nasty and cold but my better half is telling me otherwise.:(
Congratulations, PD! Excellent choice, only pity Schwalbe doesn't make the tyres you need...

Congratulations, PD! Excellent choice, only pity Schwalbe doesn't make the tyres you need...
Thanks. Yes, I'm really quite bummed about the Spikers not being available in that size but I'm also stoked about taking delivery of the bike. In the meantime, here's an obligatory shot of it in the shop.
Photo 2021-02-04, 4 10 50 PM.jpg
We received around 5 cm of snow yesterday and will likely get hit with another 5cm today. I went out for a short run yesterday while it was still comfy at -10 C. The next 7 days are going to be chilly though. 🥶
IMG_20210204_1105152.jpgIMG_20210204_1119288.jpgScreenshot_2021-02-05 Red Deer, Alberta 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network.jpg

Saw this on a news thtead thia AM.
Change the tire thread for ride conditions, not the tire. Snow threads available! 😯

Last edited:
That zipper'd system looks pretty neat and would probably work really well for a lot of people - especially biking commuters.

I'm contemplating heading out to Lake Louise later this winter and riding on the lake, or at least trying to. Not sure what the Chateau people may think. Otherwise there are other places.

I have some work mates who go play hockey on the lakes in the rockies. They both have the big NCAA champion rings from winning the Frozen 4 tourney in 2014 with Clarkson. I'm sure they'll have some good suggestions for lake riding, as i certainly couldn't skate with them anymore, If ever...

Now I need to find a film crew! 😁
Well this is interesting. When I posted the webcam link to the Chateau Lake Louise, it was working and pointed to the correct location. Now that URL is pointing to the webcam for Montreaux in Switzerland. The info for the Banff Park webcams, now say's "Coming soon". What the heck???

I wonder if I booked a room at the Chateau Lake Louise (awesome place by the way) with my Alberta resident discounts, would they transfer to Montreaux at the same price? :D

Webcams.JPG

Rode in the snow today with my fat bike.
Wiped out.
Felt like my leg was going to separate my from my hip socket. I gotta be more careful.
Here's what Schwalbe have to say:

Why does Schwalbe not offer winter tires without spikes?
Very simple: Because Schwalbe considers this as the only safe option to cycle in snow and ice.
Of course it would be nice to cycle without the permanent noise of the spikes. On a car, winter tires with sipe technology and a compound which provides grip are a good idea. However, the situation on a bicycle is completely different.
You only ride on two tires and when you start slipping on an icy road, you fall directly on your face.
Our product range comprises plenty of tires with grip and coarse tread which offer good services on wet and cold roads, muddy forest tracks and even on firm snow. Whoever looks for such a tire makes a good choice with tires, such as Smart Sam or Marathon Mondial. But whoever wants to ride safely on an icy road, will have to choose tires with spikes.

Technically speaking, a fat tyre should ride in snow safely. Should. All depending. I believed Schwalbe after I almost hit the ground face down when my Trance E+ slipped on ice. That happens so quickly the rider has no time to react!

Last edited:
In -20C or colder, my body memory of certain sporting events become really clear again.
I need something like that chain lube for my knees and wrists.

Back