Are you going to ride in snow?

I just want to tell you that my Saturday's 72 km ride started at -4 C and with headwind and ended with an off-road riding on ice at -8 C, tailwind :)
Nice! I didn't ride today, though not on account of the cold, but the fact there was too much snow. Hopefully the trails will be cleared by tomorrow.
IMG_20210206_1409328.jpgIMG_20210206_1408463.jpg

Sadly, the trails I normally ride aren’t being plowed at all. And its -10F. For you folks who get great weather and/or get your trails plowed, consider yourself damn lucky!

Attachments

• C3C7EF56-19AA-4E0B-AA86-7CF0B691EC52.jpeg
    C3C7EF56-19AA-4E0B-AA86-7CF0B691EC52.jpeg
    731.8 KB · Views: 193
  • C820D414-CEEA-4BA2-9073-6AAAE3CD03D2.jpeg
    C820D414-CEEA-4BA2-9073-6AAAE3CD03D2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
  • AADD774F-DF53-4CA5-89B8-A268BE8C9906.jpeg
    AADD774F-DF53-4CA5-89B8-A268BE8C9906.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 189
@Dallant - I totally agree. We're spoiled, in a manner of speaking, as our trails are even plowed on weekends. Our municipality contracts out the work so its citizens can utilize the trails at their leisure pretty much full time during the winter season.

Riding in the snow current decisions - not in the near future...
Better question might be - "are you getting out of bed"?

View attachment 78407
When a friend was getting ready to retire, he had the conversation with a financial advisor that starts with "what are your retirement goals ?"
He said "I think I want to be able to walk down the steps in the morning and back up at night" ... some days that's plenty.

Sadly, the trails I normally ride aren’t being plowed at all. And its -10F. For you folks who get great weather and/or get your trails plowed, consider yourself damn lucky!
Same here. Plowing is out of the question since the trails around here are used for cross country skiers, snow shoers and in some cases, snowmobiles.

Same here. Plowing is out of the question since the trails around here are used for cross country skiers, snow shoers and in some cases, snowmobiles.
I figure snowmobiles have no business on a trail like this since they have so much open country they can ride in. In my area nobody appears to be snow shoeing or xcountry skiing. Very few attempting to hike either.
I did call the local folks in charge of some of the trails I ride and they are actually now in the process of increasing the number of trails that get plowed. 👍

I've noticed it is almost impossible to ride in fresh snow on spiked 2.6" tyres. While these handle ice perfectly, snow is hardly rideable.

I need an informed opinion from someone:
  • Will reducing pressure in the tyres help?
  • Can I reduce the tyre pressure down to 1 bar (15 psi) for tubeless tyres rated for 1.5 bar (22 psi) minimum?

I find fresh snow difficult too, and try to avoid it unless it's just a dusting and there's a firm surface underneath. I haven't tried reducing tire pressure yet, but my concern has always been the ice.

I've noticed it is almost impossible to ride in fresh snow on spiked 2.6" tyres. While these handle ice perfectly, snow is hardly rideable.

• Can I reduce the tyre pressure down to 1 bar (15 psi) for tubeless tyres rated for 1.5 bar (22 psi) minimum?
Could be worth a try. For the years I used the Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240, I thought they were too aggressive because most often I was on ice. When I was on powder I didn't have any problems. With your report maybe more aggressive was worth it. They were loud on pavement and not a soft ride.

Screenshot_20210208-190914_Chrome.jpg

I can tell you it’s almost impossible to ride in heavy slush also. Especially when you’re going downhill/uphill as hitting your front brakes will make that tire (even a SCHWALBE G-One) slide out from under you! I almost face-planted numerous times even being extremely cautious last time I tried. It’s just not worth it to me at this stage in my life!
7C360F27-56C9-4852-9E3D-EEF4D2E4BE93.jpeg
C23E70C4-45A5-4A83-9956-55A77D894EED.jpeg

Yeah. Snow dusting over slush and ice seems common here this year, and I don't recall it from the last 20 years. But this is my first year on 2 wheels in 40 years, so maybe I didn't notice. I haven't fallen, but hit a couple of slick spots where I had to put my foot down at low speed to stay upright.

Sub-zero temps have me off the bike for some time now. Looks like -17C coming up (or down) for the next weekend. Have taken up bread baking as well as wood carving for the next little while.

Attachments

• 8F91B01D-0EBF-4FDB-A986-068D830FD127.jpeg
    8F91B01D-0EBF-4FDB-A986-068D830FD127.jpeg
    607.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 5860569F-35EB-4FDB-8E45-C1FBD7452667.jpeg
    5860569F-35EB-4FDB-8E45-C1FBD7452667.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 175

I also prefer not to ride in the snow but have done so occasionally. The studded Gravdals that I run have plenty of wide, deep tread blocks which helps to evacuate snow but they are not perfect either. Reducing tire pressure to enhance surface area contact should work but, in your case, the first point of contact would be the studs themselves. I don’t think you have anything to lose since you're running tubeless anyways and would be able to run at much lower tire pressure than us clincher types. Try lowering your tire pressure slightly at the start to see if traction is improved. A friend of mine who rides a Turbo Levo CC 29’er runs 19 psi on his tubeless studded tires but has only used them on hardpack and ice. As others have mentioned, light fresh snow is hard to ride on in the first place and sliding is normal in deeper snow. Try and look up and don't stare down too much as you’ll retain better balance by looking ahead as to where you are going.

Fat tire bikes are technically better at riding in snow but one also may also end up working more clearing through the powder than a skinnier tire would. There’s always a trade off and no one tire that does it all AFAIK.

IMG_20210208_2110466.jpg

Last edited:
but, in your case, the first point of contact would be the studs themselves.
You really got me thinking Prairie Dog, thank you! The sole contact points of Ice Spikers are 344 hexagonal knobs (each terminating with a stud), arranged on a wide pitch. (The rubber below the knobs is slick). These tyres are just made for ice (and they work perfectly!) but are uncapable to handle powder: there's nothing on them to create some snow grip. Reducing the pressure would not help at all.

It might even turn out the Marathon Winter Plus on my Vado are better for packed snow... Because these are equipped with many knobs and less studs (they are similar to your Gravdals).

You really got me thinking Prairie Dog, thank you! The sole contact points of Ice Spikers are 344 hexagonal knobs (each terminating with a stud), arranged on a wide pitch. (The rubber below the knobs is slick). These tyres are just made for ice (and they work perfectly!) but are uncapable to handle powder: there's nothing on them to create some snow grip. Reducing the pressure would not help at all.

It might even turn out the Marathon Winter Plus on my Vado are better for packed snow... Because these are equipped with many knobs and less studs (they are similar to your Gravdals).
The Marathons on your Vado would likely fare better in the snow since the factory tread blocking also contains shallow micro sipes (zig zag cuts) which enhance traction in wet or snowy conditions by adding more biting edges. This type of tire technology has long been used in the vehicle tire industry and has been known to be quite effective when employed on bonafide winter tires.

No riding.
Vado: 450 m (round trip) test ride: a no-go.
Trance: 1000 m (round trip, 1 bar in tyres): better not to risk...

Back