Are these songs the same?

Are They The Same Song? The First is a Big Fat Ripoff of the one from 50-Years Ago.

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Jury is Not Sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
In your opinion, Are These Two Songs The Same? Is the first a ripoff of the second? Keep in mind that a simple chord progression can not be copywritten as original. There is a lawsuit being tried in court now about this topic. This poll ends in 90-days. Oh, just click, Watch on YouTube, to listen to the first example.

Plagiarism is so well known thing in music...

Try this:

And that rip off...

Vs. the original...

Last edited:
It was hard to recognize with the karaoke versions of the songs. They do have the same drum beat, but that is pretty normal. The singing rhythms are similar. I would not call this example a rip-off, or stolen works. The ice ice baby is clearly ripped right from David Bowie. Even though Queen did a cover of the same song. Covers are different though. They usually involve permission from the artist being covered.

Interesting point, with hip-hop/rap, is that “samples” are used. These are usually loops of the exact song within their music. Also, I notice in hip-hop/rap, is that an exact beat of a song will be used and the lyrics are only changed. I think the understanding there, is that each artist is set out to make money. They all know it. Those artist will “borrow” from each other with, or without (yyyooooouuuuuu, lol U2), regardless. It’s all good because when someone likes a song in a streaming service, you’ll be introduced to the other song that has the exact beat. It’s all about money. “This worked for that artist, let’s use it!” Ca-Ching!

What about the Blues? Those chord progressions have been around for generations. Was Clapton a ripoff artist or paying homage? What about the Stones? They are British, not from the Delta. I criticized rap once and got in trouble. At least with mariachi they can play instruments and carry a melody and do harmony in verse. This one is long but a lot of fun.

Last edited:
These songs are most definitely the same. Everyone of a certain generation remembers Canned Heat through their hit blues rock songs as well as their filmed performance on the stage at Woodstock. Alan Wilson, the young leader of Canned Heat was a black- american blues aficianado and historian, seeking out these obscure and forgotten songs but especially, the artists, recorded some 50 years before their own time. These black bluesmen were his inspiration. What could have been for his group as he passed at age 27; this during a time when Hendrix, Morrison and Joplin also left this world at 27 years old.

I do not know if Al Wilson paid royalty's to the estate of Henry Thomas. I tend to think not. What kind of estate would an obscure, black bluesman have in the late 1920's? If anything, I will always credit Wilson and his group for making these very obscure blues songs relevant a half century later. The late 60's were a time of redisovering the roots of rock and roll through these old recordings. Especially in England, where John Mayalls Bluesbreakers, Eric Clapton and the original Fleetwood Mac made blues popular again.

PS: I never did get the "George Harrison ripped off "He's So Fine" for his own "My Sweet Lord" scandal. I never found any similarity at all in the two songs.

Clapton would not do 'I shot the Sheriff'. The producers made him do one take. I bet Robert Jonson would love that Crossroads still lives.

Back