Are Slime Sealing tubes safe ?

Cassidy

I have been reading about the problems on the road changing tires, Are the slime sealing tubes safe and would it be recommended to replace the tubes that come with the bike (just bought new ebike with Kenda K1088 Tire 700C x 45C (45-622) ) now? thanks

The only problem I've had is sometimes the valve gets plugged up with slime. That means you can't decrease the pressure to take the tire out of the brake caliper. Not a problem with disk brakes. I don't really find that the slime tubes last longer than the generic schwinns.

I have been reading about the problems on the road changing tires, Are the slime sealing tubes safe and would it be recommended to replace the tubes that come with the bike (just bought new ebike with Kenda K1088 Tire 700C x 45C (45-622) ) now? thanks
Why unsafe? They do make patching a pain since the goo goes everywhere. I’ve ridden over 8,000 eBike miles, had three flats but never had to change on the road. Once I had to stop at a gas station for air to make it home. It all depends where you ride.

I find that the slime tubes work for me. The two big advantages are that frustrating slow leak kind of situations basically do not occur (the latex is really good at plugging slow leaks) and that you can almost always pump the tire up after you lose air and limp a mile or three to some safer spot where you can fix a flat.

Having said that, if you have perfectly good tubes in your tires right now I'd recommend leaving them in and replacing them with slime tubes when you replace a tire or fix a flat.

There are a couple of disadvantages to slime tubes, or using a tire sealant like Stan's in a regular inner tube:
  • The tubes end up being a bit heavier and bulkier.
  • As noted, the sealant can clog the valve. This problem seems to be worse with Schrader valves.
  • The latex will contaminate a patch and the adhesive so you really can't patch slime tubes.
  • Fixing a flat can be a messier job, especially if you manage to mangle the tube. I'd hate to cut out a slime tube to replace it with a Gaadi tube, although if you ever do that please post photos here. On the other side it is much easier with a slime tube to figure out where the puncture is and find the offending tack or chunk of glass.

Why unsafe? They do make patching a pain since the goo goes everywhere. I’ve ridden over 8,000 eBike miles, had three flats but never had to change on the road. Once I had to stop at a gas station for air to make it home. It all depends where you ride.
So you use the slime sealing tubes?

How many hare have gone tubeless since it really caught on? I have to say I’ve been very happy since losing the tubes. Had one cut that the Stan’s sealant could slow down but not seal completely, but a quick shot from a tubeless repair kit took care of it and I’ve had nothing further. I still carry a tube for last ditch emergency solution, but I really don’t worry about flats anymore.

I run Slime in a standard tube. Been working fine for me for 3 seasons now. I find that I no longer need to check/fill the tires near sa often as without. That makes it worth whatever mess I run into later on.

How many hare have gone tubeless since it really caught on? I have to say I’ve been very happy since losing the tubes. Had one cut that the Stan’s sealant could slow down but not seal completely, but a quick shot from a tubeless repair kit took care of it and I’ve had nothing further. I still carry a tube for last ditch emergency solution, but I really don’t worry about flats anymore.
I have been running tubeless for some time now, and wish I had converted sooner
For me, I see no advantage in going back to tubes

Last edited:
My bike came tubeless, it was converted by the dealer. I can run the tires below 10 psi. when off road. I replenish Stan's every 4 months.

I Slimed my rear tire right after I got the bike due to the aforementioned frustrating and hard to find slow leak. I haven't had to add air in over 300 miles since. I still plan on going tubeless when these wear out, unless I wear out before they do.

Tubeless tubeless tubeless! I get ~ 2 years out of cheap schwinn tubes, only adding air every 6 months or so. I ride knobby kenda tires that keeps the carcass up out of the trash. When the knobs wear down to <3/32" I buy new tires. Tires last about 2 years at ~2000 miles/yr.

I was mildly pro-tubeless until recently. I hit a rock and the tire went flat shortly after. I assumed the bead had unseated and was burping out air. Tried to pump it up and it went flat again (later found two small cuts in the casing). So I went ahead and put in a tube, which took much longer than normal because I struggled to unseat the bead for 15minutes, then had to remove the valve stem with pliers before I could get the tube in while trying to keep sealant off everything I touched. Then when I got home I had to undo it all, cleaning up the goop from the spare tube, and get it back to tubeless. With a regular setup this would've taken 15min total. Even faster if using CO2.

I can see tubeless being great for areas where you tend to get tiny punctures from thorns or cactus or if you use very thin, supple casing tires, but I'm not convinced it's worthwhile for everyday commuting.
Also, from what I've read the slime in the tube is less effective than in the casing because the tube stretches and disturbs any holes that get sealed.

What are tubeless advantages over sliming a tube and using a protective insert? I assume it's a little lighter, and you can run lower PSI without a chance of pinch flats, but I'm still new and want to be sure I'm on the right track :)

What are tubeless advantages over sliming a tube and using a protective insert? I assume it's a little lighter, and you can run lower PSI without a chance of pinch flats, but I'm still new and want to be sure I'm on the right track :)
That's pretty much it, low pressure while avoiding pinch flats. If you don't care so much about optimal offroad traction, using a tire with an integrated puncture belt and regular tube and pumping it up to 30psi or more is plenty in my experience. I still carry tools to fix a flat though.
It also helps to check the tire tread once in awhile and pick out bits of glass or sharp pebbles that can work their way through the puncture protection.

Just don’t EVER bring a slime tire to my little home shop and ask for the usual happy helper to fix. Messy. Real messy. But I’m on a decade long run of zero, that’s right none, not a single, not even the hint of a flat.

Just don’t EVER bring a slime tire to my little home shop and ask for the usual happy helper to fix. Messy. Real messy. But I’m on a decade long run of zero, that’s right none, not a single, not even the hint of a flat.

You're right, slime is messy but I have to say I've never had a flat when using slime.

You're right, slime is messy but I have to say I've never had a flat when using slime.
I haven’t had a flat in the 12 years that I’ve started riding bicycles again. I’m not a high mileage guy. 25 over the course of two days. Check my tires every other ride, a “prefilight”, and adjust. I get very good mileage and service. I do retire skins often before they wear out. Long steel stem Schraeder tubes, a little xcellent quality woven cotton rim tape. French is best for me. I guess i’m Lucky. Or my preoccupation with safety pays off.

I've had green-slime tubeless ones on mine since new -for six years, with no flats, though I don't ride on especially flat-prone surfaces or terrains. The guy gave me the rest of the bottle after installing them, but I've never needed it: I've wondered whether that stuff lasts forever -it is still as green. I do try to make sure the tires stay cushiony, but never low, and clean off offending matter, including during rides. I also ride tubeless on my FS MB, but I bought it on the auction place three years ago and don't recall/know whether they're slimed or not. They all hold air nicely, as good as my tubed ones. Yet, while I like the tubeless ones I have, truly fine, I've never thought of replacing any tubed tire. Or I've thought of it, but never gone beyond that because I've not had problems with tubes either. Haven't felt the need to check whether the MB tires are slimed or not either, btw -not lately nor much anyway.

Back