Are our tubes Presta or Schreader? (spell?)

tlippy

Anyone know the answer? Also wondering if our rims are designed for a tubeless tire? Thinking tubeless and you could use a CO2 inflated plus a plug.

I don't own a Ride1Up bike but from the web site photos, it seems like all their bikes are equipped with Schrader valves. The valves are also easily distinguished;
bicycle-tubes-with-schrader-and-presta-valve-royalty-free-image-1586369776.jpg

Presta on the left, Schrader on the right. Presta valves are smaller in diameter than Schrader valves and may be threaded as in this pic or may be smooth metal without the lock ring.

One of my sons is an engineer for a bike component company that among other things designs and markets tubeless wheels and tires. He tells me that tubeless-ready rims are required to be so labeled. If you don't see this label on the rim, then they're not tubeless-ready. Having Schrader valves makes it highly unlikely that the rims are tubeless-ready.

Anyone know the answer? Also wondering if our rims are designed for a tubeless tire? Thinking tubeless and you could use a CO2 inflated plus a plug.
You can use CO2 with either valve and you can use a sealant like Slime or Stans, which is used in tubeless tires too, to avoid the need for plugging your tires. (Don't know about Stans, but Slime has separate products for tubed and tubeless tires.)

TT

Last edited:
It's important to make sure that all components, including the rims, tires, and sealant, are compatible with each other to ensure a safe and effective setup. Additionally, it's always a good idea to carry a backup plan, such as a tube and pump, in case of any issues on the road or trail.

Last edited:
Back