Tubeless Repair Kits....Advice or suggestions?

Prairie Dog

Region
Canada
City
Red Deer
With many going the tubeless route, I wanted to garner opinions from members about tubeless repair kits specifically those that employ plugs. Has anyone performed a field repair using one of these plug kits and if so, what was the outcome? If not, which one(s) do you currently bring with you on rides? I did search the forums for any relevant info out there but most topics covered were discussions around sealants or other alternative methods.

There are so many name brand reviews out there plugging (pardon the pun) their kits as being the best. Lezyne, Stan’s, Blackburn, Dynaplug just to name a few. Of all the Dynaplug with its brass barb seems promising and apparently foolproof but would welcome any other suggestions.

I do bring along a spare tube along just in case but would prefer the simpler method of just plugging the hole. FWIW, I have been using Stan’s sealant for my emtb Maxxis tire setup and it seems to be doing a fine job.

I have dynaplug expensive but very easy to use. I ensued them on this one tire they worked fine but the tires had issues. they are a permanent plug where the bacon strips are not. I chose Muc-off sealant as it has a longer life and may seal bigger holes. I carry CO2 a spare tube the dynaplug a small bottle of muc-off I used a stans bottle. tools to take the tires off. I goofed on out tire on the tandem I thought the min pressure was 40 but it was 50 and some riding on the lower PSI caused this leak that would not seal. Man the mess of putting a tube in was epic.
IMG_1763.jpg

Started with a Lezyne plug system, then went Stan's Dart.
Going to jynx myself by saying this but I have never needed either!
The Dart looks like the keeper for me though...

I have dynaplug expensive but very easy to use. I ensued them on this one tire they worked fine but the tires had issues. they are a permanent plug where the bacon strips are not. I chose Muc-off sealant as it has a longer life and may seal bigger holes. I carry CO2 a spare tube the dynaplug a small bottle of muc-off I used a stans bottle. tools to take the tires off. I goofed on out tire on the tandem I thought the min pressure was 40 but it was 50 and some riding on the lower PSI caused this leak that would not seal. Man the mess of putting a tube in was epic.
View attachment 152322

Thanks for sharing your experience, Foofer. Do you mind if I asked what caused your puncture as it appears that it’s somewhere along the sidewall. I’m leaning heavily towards the Dynaplugs but wanted to see if anyone else had any other recommendations that would work in a pinch. I don’t plan on switching sealants at this point but good to know that Muc Off is working for you.

Edit: Sorry, I realized the leak was coming from the rim due to the tire being ridden at a much lower PSI.

Started with a Lezyne plug system, then went Stan's Dart.
Going to jynx myself by saying this but I have never needed either!
The Dart looks like the keeper for me though...
Hey Dave, thanks for chiming in. Stan’s Dart was the go to tool for me at first but I’ve heard mixed reviews with plugging smaller holes as the dart would break off or not penetrate in certain cases. Then again, it might just require a more precise method of insertion. It’s always better to have something along just in case. Love the Fumpa pump…ultra convenient. Looks like your kitted out to the max.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience, Foofer. Do you mind if I asked what caused your puncture as it appears that it’s somewhere along the sidewall. I’m leaning heavily towards the Dynaplugs but wanted to see if anyone else had any other recommendations that would work in a pinch. I don’t plan on switching sealants at this point but good to know that Muc Off is working for you.

Edit: Sorry, I realized the leak was coming from the rim due to the tire being ridden at a much lower PSI.

Hey Dave, thanks for chiming in. Stan’s Dart was the go to tool for me at first but I’ve heard mixed reviews with plugging smaller holes as the dart would break off or not penetrate in certain cases. Then again, it might just require a more precise method of insertion. It’s always better to have something along just in case. Love the Fumpa pump…ultra convenient. Looks like your kitted out to the max.
Yeah, I read some stories about the Dart being difficult sometimes, so I threw the Lezyne back in the bag just for giggles. No problem carrying both for now.
What led me to go tubeless was 3 flats in about 4 months, all due to blackberry thorns. That was 3 years ago and no flats since then. Yes I've found thorns and small metal objects in the tires over time, but nothing that Stan's couldn't seal in over 4000kms now.
Fingers crossed!

The Dart system is (so they say) specifically for punctures 5mm or larger. I think a lot of the negative reviews on the Darts are by people who try to use them on holes smaller than that, and then the plastic tips have a nasty habit of separating from the fabric plug material when shoving it into the tire. I went through a couple of these myself till I figured this part out.

So I now have the Dart tool and also a bacon strip plug tool as well, and since I started carrying both I haven’t had any punctures that needed them, of course. A couple of small pinhole types from those nasty little steel threads from truck tires along the road shoulder, but the Stans always gets them right away. Half the time you don’t even know you had a puncture till you get home and see the white spot in the tread, sometimes with that little piece of metal sticking out!

All this said, I do think the Dyna plug looks pretty good as the one thing to carry along with a spare tube and something for a tire boot - a good old US Dollar is perfect, and a Clif Bar wrapper ain’t bad either.

Gotta say, having just checked their website, that new DynaPlug Air kit looks like a pretty good idea.

Last edited:
All this said, I do think the Dyna plug looks pretty good as the one thing to carry along with a spare tube and something for a tire boot - a good old US Dollar is perfect, and a Clif Bar wrapper ain’t bad either.

Gotta say, having just checked their website, that new DynaPlug Air kit looks like a pretty good idea.
they have a lot of setups for sure. I thought of the C02 setup but I dont think I would use it enough. I got the racer one with 4 plugs and two sizes.

The Dart system is (so they say) specifically for punctures 5mm or larger. I think a lot of the negative reviews on the Darts are by people who try to use them on holes smaller than that, and then the plastic tips have a nasty habit of separating from the fabric plug material when shoving it into the tire. I went through a couple of these myself till I figured this part out.

So I now have the Dart tool and also a bacon strip plug tool as well, and since I started carrying both I haven’t had any punctures that needed them, of course. A couple of small pinhole types from those nasty little steel threads from truck tires along the road shoulder, but the Stans always gets them right away. Half the time you don’t even know you had a puncture till you get home and see the white spot in the tread, sometimes with that little piece of metal sticking out!

Dave, thanks for the feedback with respect to the Darts. It certainly doesn’t hurt to have more than one system on hand as a backup depending on the size or nature of the puncture. I’ve seen the Stan’s Dart kit being sold online for as little as $25 Cdn and the Uber expensive Dynaplug air mtb kit complete with air tool, presta adapter and CO2 cartridges selling for $100 + Cdn!

Here's a review and demo for the Dynaplug air kit.

As Foofer mentioned there are several Dynaplug systems tailored to suit one’s budget and the Megaplugger which comes with three standard plugs and two megaplugs (for larger punctures) might be the happy medium.

I started with Dyna Plugs. They work but wanted to find something less expensive and easier to replenish. I went to Lezyne bacon strips and their kit.

I used to carry along a little bottle of Orange Seal like the guy in the vid above is talking about. I stopped doing that when I went to FlatOut as a tubeless sealant. But realistically, I have been lucky enough to always have enough sealant left in the tire so I never needed a refill. I should have a backup. The tubed tire that died on me a few months ago had a 3/4" rip in the tire tread and everything came out of it in about 10 seconds.

Per recommendations above I have now ordered a Dynaplug kit vs the bacon strip plugs I have carried but (luckily) have never needed to use.

Sealant is a must. Also of ultra importance — and to help maintain tire pressure while plugging — is an electric pump. My favorite: LILTSDRAE Portable Compressor. Lightweight, reliable and great battery life.

I started with Dyna Plugs. They work but wanted to find something less expensive and easier to replenish. I went to Lezyne bacon strips and their kit.

I used to carry along a little bottle of Orange Seal like the guy in the vid above is talking about. I stopped doing that when I went to FlatOut as a tubeless sealant. But realistically, I have been lucky enough to always have enough sealant left in the tire so I never needed a refill. I should have a backup. The tubed tire that died on me a few months ago had a 3/4" rip in the tire tread and everything came out of it in about 10 seconds.
Holy smokes! (pardon the pun again). That doesn’t sound like a quick fix. I rode through some pretty gnarly sections of rock gardens last season which was a bit nerve wracking as I was on my own.
Project 2 Top Notch (Cont)_Moment(2).jpgProject 4 Top Notct_Moment(2).jpg
Right now I’m just thinking about a quick and convenient method for field repairable punctures other than just inserting a spare tube and dealing with a messy situation.

I see that there are different formulations and viscosities for Flat Out depending on your specific application/tire size. 👍

I tired the new flatout for smaller tire bikes anti all leaked out of my tires within 2 months. what. found was the sealed holes would weep every ride I found wet spots on the tire. it seemed to cause the dynaplugs to fall out into the tire too.

I see that there are different formulations and viscosities for Flat Out depending on your specific application/tire size. 👍
I use the Sportsman formula exclusively as both a tubeless sealant and a tubed sealant. However Flatout has told me the home equipment formula sold by Home Depot is essentially no different. the difference is $19.99 on Amazon delivered in a few days versus $14.99 and available for walk-in pickup today at the big orange store. In fact, since I have to mount a new tire this evening I think I'll get another bottle as I run errands this afternoon.

I've had Flatout work spectacularly well as a tubeless sealant. For fixing flats on fat tires, it performed unbelievably well (fixed a 6-nail strip where they all punctured in a line near the edge of the tread, and I was able to ride home). I use it on two emtbs that I use for short errand runners in town that are higher pressure (29x2.4 and 26x2.5) where we are talking about 50 psi street pressures. Maxxis Assegai, Minion and Aggressor tires.

Someone mentioned an electric pump. I have totally given myself over to these now that I have been using one type enough to know I can rely on it. Recently I did add back in an old school hand pump as a backup after, in January, that 3/4" tear I mentioned almost ran down my XXL electrical pump. I also use power banks to power my lights so a USB C cable will recharge a pump like that if disaster strikes. Link jumps straight to the one I use which has a huge battery compared to most.

I tired the new flatout for smaller tire bikes anti all leaked out of my tires within 2 months. what. found was the sealed holes would weep every ride I found wet spots on the tire. it seemed to cause the dynaplugs to fall out into the tire too.
I just received my Slica sealant order. I found it online and was interested in its ability to seal larger holes.

I just received my Slica sealant order. I found it online and was interested in its ability to seal larger holes.
I have heard too many complaints about it and the mess plus you cant put it in through the valve. I am not so worried about big holes I want long lasting.

Dave, thanks for the feedback with respect to the Darts. It certainly doesn’t hurt to have more than one system on hand as a backup depending on the size or nature of the puncture. I’ve seen the Stan’s Dart kit being sold online for as little as $25 Cdn and the Uber expensive Dynaplug air mtb kit complete with air tool, presta adapter and CO2 cartridges selling for $100 + Cdn!

Here's a review and demo for the Dynaplug air kit.

As Foofer mentioned there are several Dynaplug systems tailored to suit one’s budget and the Megaplugger which comes with three standard plugs and two megaplugs (for larger punctures) might be the happy medium.

Just a hint for anyone watching that video - if you repair and find there is still a leak around it, try putting the repair DOWN - ie turn the wheel so your pool of sealant is covering it.

BTW , can anyone explain to me why he thinks co2 molecules are smaller than those in air????? I'll chip in with my theory why co2 bottles seem to cause leaks around plugs - you're inflating the tyre before the sealant gets a chance to set! Take your time with a hand pump, in fact I'd suggest sitting down for a rest / photo / ?meditation session ? . Punctures are natures way to remind us to chill out. Except those ones in rock gardens....they're natures way of entertaining snakes.

BTW , can anyone explain to me why he thinks co2 molecules are smaller than those in air?????
CO2 (Mw = 44) molecule is bigger than N2 (Mw = 28) or O2 (Mw = 32). However, CO2 is soluble in rubber while oxygen or nitrogen are not. It makes the permeability of carbon dioxide through the synthetic rubber greater than it is for the air.

Not that I am interested with the tubeless very much :)

Back