Apple introduces 80% charging limit in iOS13 update to enhance battery life

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
There is a ton of information on this site and elsewhere about the importance of charging to 4.05V/cell or 80% state of charge to enhance the battery longevity.
A giant in the cellphone market, Apple company has caught on this and their new iOS 13 update will introduce a feature wherein the BMS automatically limits the charging to 80% (most of the time) to prolong its life.
This feature needs to be enabled by the user and then the machine learning algorithm would optimize the charging such that your phone won't sit at 100% for prolonged periods of time.

here is the CNBC article: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/12/app...ery-life-with-optimized-battery-charging.html

One of the reasons cellphone batteries die sooner is because most customers have this habit of plugging your phone at night and then taking it off the charger when they wake up.
Apple is the first company to take steps to prolong the battery life and I am happy to see this.

If you are interested in enhancing the battery life of your eBike, consider this: https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html
1560633627664.png

Last edited:
There is a ton of information on this site and elsewhere about the importance of charging to 4.05V/cell or 80% state of charge to enhance the battery longevity.
A giant in the cellphone market, Apple company has caught on this and their new iOS 13 update will introduce a feature wherein the BMS automatically limits the charging to 80% (most of the time) to prolong its life.
This feature needs to be enabled by the user and then the machine learning algorithm would optimize the charging such that your phone won't sit at 100% for prolonged periods of time.

here is the CNBC article: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/12/app...ery-life-with-optimized-battery-charging.html

One of the reasons cellphone batteries die sooner is because most customers have this habit of plugging your phone at night and then taking it off the charger when they wake up.
Apple is the first company to take steps to prolong the battery life and I am happy to see this.

If you are interested in enhancing the battery life of your eBike, consider this: https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html
View attachment 34304
"I'm from Missouri - so show me !"

Seriously, it would be interesting to see an actual ebike rider, start with 2 fresh batteries. Then over a period of time, alternate between the two, fully charging one, and then with the other charging only to 80%. Document number of charge cycles, and voltages after every charge. However long it takes, see how the two compare, and how much longer one of them lasts, and the voltages at the end.

I'm not doubting any of the Apple stuff, as Tesla too does some Serious battery management and charging practices.

To see it applied and documented in real life for an ebike, without any special BMS or satiator, but just doing it by hand and careful monitoring would be rather interesting. Someone who rides a LOT of miles or commutes daily, would be a candidate who could relay to the forum their results. See exactly how much longer one goes.

Then have the tester document whether the hassle of it all, and limited range was 'worth it.' Video of it on YouTube even better.

If real positive, then you make sure you buy a larger battery next go around, that has enough extra capacity to compensate for the range shortfall.

"I'm from Missouri - so show me !"

Seriously, it would be interesting to see an actual ebike rider, start with 2 fresh batteries. Then over a period of time, alternate between the two, fully charging one, and then with the other charging only to 80%. Document number of charge cycles, and voltages after every charge. However long it takes, see how the two compare, and how much longer one of them lasts, and the voltages at the end.

I'm not doubting any of the Apple stuff, as Tesla too does some Serious battery management and charging practices.

To see it applied and documented in real life for an ebike, without any special BMS or satiator, but just doing it by hand and careful monitoring would be rather interesting. Someone who rides a LOT of miles or commutes daily, would be a candidate who could relay to the forum their results. See exactly how much longer one goes.

Then have the tester document whether the hassle of it all, and limited range was 'worth it.' Video of it on YouTube even better.

If real positive, then you make sure you buy a larger battery next go around, that has enough extra capacity to compensate for the range shortfall.

Maybe a 'team' of riders, could do this, with first rider going across country - coast to coast - handing off the ebike and set of batteries to the next guy who heads back the other way. And so on until the first battery dies. Then continue on until the 2nd battery 'dies.'. Wonder how many trips coast to coast you could get out of this ? Surely someone on the forum here has done at least one trip like this on a Stromer, right ? ;)

I have an iPhone, and will not be clicking that box. The battery life is already amazing to me. My wife’s iPhone 6+ is pushing 5 years, she is on it all the time. Drained and charged to full at least once a day, and more days than not twice. My 5s is great as well but I don’t use it very much, and only charge every 3 days or so. Same with dozens of other battery products, and my bike. Had my eBike 1 year today, 3,500 miles of just drain and charge. It is as strong as it was a year ago.

Back