Please Give Us Access to E-bike Bosch Updates

MrLibraryMan

Region
USA
The following was sent to Bosch Customer Service USA. I'd be interested in knowing what your opinion is.

Thanks in advance!

Dear Bosch,​
Please give us a consumer version of the e-bike Bosch updates. Give consumers the option to learn how to use the software (firmware) to update our own Bosch motor e-bikes. As a matter of fact, many of us are experienced with computers and other forms of technology, so it should be just another similar device to update.​
We know how to update our Macs, our Windows-based computers, our cellphones' operating systems, our phones' apps, and our computers' programs and applications. And there is a sizable consumer population who also know how to troubleshoot problems to resolve a variety of technological issues.​
And most importantly, give us direct access to updates at no additional cost to consumers. We all have paid great sums of money for the technology e-bikes rely upon and for the e-bikes we enjoy riding, and that includes the cost of your great technology that you receive upfront when we purchase a Bosch powered e-bike.​
I understand that Bosch has no current control over the software update fees bike shops charge consumers. However, maybe it's time (or long overdue) to embrace the business model that Apple, Microsoft, and the thousands of software companies utilize every day.​
Allow consumers the option to plugin our e-bikes' computers to update our own bikes without having to pay bike shops an additional $35 to $50 for simple drive unit updates, battery updates, and computer updates. The premium prices we have initially paid should not soak us for additional money to gain access to your updates-- it's a greedy practice that bike shops bank on for the life of Bosch powered e-bikes.​
If Bosch changed their business model to what I am suggesting, the company's products would see the popularity of their products skyrocket exponentially.​

Well written and I totally agree but I’m afraid you won’t get anywhere with it. The idea that Bosch would be handing over control and giving up a potential revenue stream would seem to go against their corporate principles.

It would be nice if we could do this just as we can update the firmware on a Bosch Nyon. There still could, and likely should, be some settings that will be reserved to be made only through an LBS diagnostic system.

There is no "revenue steam" that flows to Bosch when our bikes are updated at the shop and charged for it. If your shop charges you, they do not share any of that revenue with Bosch.

A quicker intermediate solution would be for Bosch to mandate that Bosch Certified shops provide free of charge, any system or motor firmware updates and setting basic values and adjustments like increased torque values or ability to switch lights on and off at the control head. Their Bosch certification and access could be rescinded if they charge a customer in violation of this policy.

They should still be free to charge a fee for changing settings needed due for drive train modifications or other work done at the LBS beyond warranty or basic firmware updates. We would not want to see the distribution of Bosch certified shops be reduced due to onerous requirements from Bosch.

Last edited:
Well written and I totally agree but I’m afraid you won’t get anywhere with it. The idea that Bosch would be handing over control and giving up a potential revenue stream would seem to go against their corporate principles.
Thanks, Dallant, for your comments! Even if they charged us a tiny fee, like 99 cents for a cellphone app, they'd make big bucks to change their approach. Now only the bike shops are making the big bucks by charging crazy high prices to do what I could do in my home.
Anyway, thanks again! Always like reading your comments.

Thanks, Dallant, for your comments! Even if they charged us a tiny fee, like 99 cents for a cellphone app, they'd make big bucks to change their approach. Now only the bike shops are making the big bucks by charging crazy high prices to do what I could do in my home.
Anyway, thanks again! Always like reading your comments.
Well, honestly I’ve had three updates done by two different Trek shops and I’ve never been charged once. I’d certainly pay a small fee to do this and keep track of it myself. What I want to see is just a few more options like cadence, power split data, etc., since I’m sure that data is already available in the system.

Well, honestly I’ve had three updates done by two different Trek shops and I’ve never been charged once. I’d certainly pay a small fee to do this and keep track of it myself. What I want to see is just a few more options like cadence, power split data, etc., since I’m sure that data is already available in the system.
This mirror's my experience. Our local Trek shop has never charged me for updates both to my Allant 9.9S, which was purchased there, as well as to our two Riese & Muller bikes, which they updated free of charge, before I ever bought a bike from them. This is a solid example of being helpful beyond what is required as an excellent means of customer acquisition.

The other options you are seeking are display options, some of which are already available values that can be displayed on a Nyon custom screen. The actual data is already being captured and stored in the motor. Nyon firmware is directly updated via the web and does not need any LBS intervention.

I have never updated the software on my 2016 Haibikes. I like that software and the way the bikes ride. So with a combined 11,000 miles on the two Bosch units, I'm happy as a lark.

It would be nice if we could do this just as we can update the firmware on a Bosch Nyon. There still could, and likely should, be some settings that will be reserved to be made only through an LBS diagnostic system.

There is no "revenue steam" that flows to Bosch when our bikes are updated at the shop and charged for it. If your shop charges you, they do not share any of that revenue with Bosch.

A quicker intermediate solution would be for Bosch to mandate that Bosch Certified shops provide free of charge, any system or motor firmware updates and setting adjustments like increased torque values or ability to switch lights on and off at the control head. Their Bosch certification and access could be rescinded if they charge a customer in violation of this policy. They should still be free to charge a fee for changing setting needed due to drive train modifications or other work done at the LBS beyond warranty or basic firmware updates. We would not want to see the distribution of Bosch certified shops be reduced due to onerous requirements from Bosch.
Agreed, Alaskan! I like your business model!

I have never updated the software on my 2016 Haibikes. I like that software and the way the bikes ride. So with a combined 11,000 miles on the two Bosch units, I'm happy as a lark.
OK, but what if there is a better optimization for your motor and your battery? You could be missing out on feature(s) that you could benefit from.

This mirror's my experience. Our local Trek shop has never charged me for updates both to my Allant 9.9S, which was purchased there, as well as to our two Riese & Muller bikes, which they updated free of charge, before I ever bought a bike from them. This is a solid example of being helpful beyond what is required as an excellent means of customer acquisition.

The other options you are seeking are display options, some of which are already available values that can be displayed on a Nyon custom screen. The actual data is already being captured and stored in the motor. Nyon firmware is directly updated via the web and does not need any LBS intervention.
I called Trek (Corporate Offices) to ask if they have their Trek-owned shops (a.k.a. Trek Direct) offer customers free Bosch updates. They informed me that it is entirely up to the managers of these shops on whether a fee should be charged for this service and whatever amount they want to charge. It seems unfair and inconsistent to me that Trek can't set a standard for all of their bike shops.

Anyway, it sounds like you've got a great Trek bike shop that is appreciative of their customers, Alaskan!

A quicker intermediate solution would be for Bosch to mandate that Bosch Certified shops provide free of charge, any system or motor firmware updates and setting basic values and adjustments like increased torque values or ability to switch lights on and off at the control head. Their Bosch certification and access could be rescinded if they charge a customer in violation of this policy.

They should still be free to charge a fee for changing settings needed due for drive train modifications or other work done at the LBS beyond warranty or basic firmware updates. We would not want to see the distribution of Bosch certified shops be reduced due to onerous requirements from Bosch.
Its the certification and access from Bosch to these shops that is the revenue stream I spoke of. These shops definitely pay for this, amongst other things. I’d be ok with a small fee but anything much would drive me harder toward Specialized. Trek/Bosch is my go to in my area because of shop availability numbers.

In my town a Bosch and Trek dealer wants me to pay for Diagnostic (with printed protocol) to do update my ebike firmware.

In my town a Bosch and Trek dealer wants me to pay for Diagnostic (with printed protocol) to do update my ebike firmware.
Are you having a problem? A diagnostic is different than an update. And I’ve never received a printout though I did once receive a screen grab via email. How much?

In terms of dollars it would be about $36. It included printed diagnostic protocol.
I hadn't any problem before, I just wanted to upgrade firmware only. But there is no option to buy the Bosch communication tool.

MrLibraryMan

Totally right sir. We are in 2021 not in 1950. Wake-up Bosch. Have to ride 240 km to a bike shop.
If this *HAD* been bought in 1950 - you most likely would have received a full size schematic when you took delivery and the owner's manual would have contained a "servicing" section in the appendix!

But not these days, unfortunately. I was amazed out how little "self servicing" is possible with my Bosch system...

Back