Anyone with a 2020 Revolt E Pro?

The LBS drilled a hole in the front fender since the attachment point is in the center of the fork. The LBS also used black tape, to tape over the attaching plate that was removed on the fender, but that's about as much of the modifications that was pointed out to me when I picked it up. I test rode it just now and there's no rubbing or anything.. I've added a DIY buddy flap to it since, but will eventually get a proper one when I find one that I like...

The Hunt wheels are pretty good, I've had them on my previous gravel bike. The tubeless tire set up is very comfy! I'm rolling around town at 30-35 psi and lower it to around 20-25 psi on gravel roads. The WTB Byway tires are quicker than the stock tires. Doesn't have the velcro feeling when riding on the road without power on.

Temporary buddy flap installed. I know it's an eyesore, but it works for now just to get a bit more coverage.

The Rapha bar bag and bottle matches very well with the bike frame!!
IMG_20201210_131832.jpg

based on this thread I've put a deposit down on an XL Revolt E 2020, never having owned an e-bike before.

Someone mentioned above there's not much info on the interweb for these bikes - I agree - this thread was the only non-sponsored site I could find with decent information.
When cruising around the Australian Giant site https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au it's not there (well I can't find it anyway).
But if you put it into the search window it comes up https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/revolt-eplus-pro-2020 - possibly user error :(

I tried several hub and mid drive e-bikes and they didn't have enough assist to get me up the hills...so I went looking for drop bar bikes that had motors such as Bosch Gen 4, Yamaha PW-X, or Shimano EP8...
...the Cannondale Topstone Neo was out of the ball park $ wise...also the Canyon Grail:ON and not actually even available in Australia...

The Giant Revolt E+ Pro has the Giant branded Yamaha PW-X motor, and was within reach of what I could get approved by the boss...sort of...

I'll need to wait a few weeks and some pay cycles to bring the Giant Revolt home, but on my test ride it blew away the other e-bikes I've tried to get me up the steep hills like I have on my daily commute.

The small battery is perfect for me - reduces weight, and my commute is only 8km each way.
In Australia it's limited to 25km/h - so unless I get a dongle I'm unlikely to go on group rides where the pace usually averages around 30km/h or so...but you never know - hiding down the back of the pack I might keep up, and there's so much assist on the hills...
...sure I'll cop some flack turning up to a group ride on an e-bike...with wide tyres...but it's been more than 5 years since I've been on a group ride as I can't keep up anymore...maybe I still can't...until I get a dongle...

Thanks for the great thread...

Oh by the way, I got the bike shop to weigh the XL...the guy had Park scales but he had to hold the scales up dangling the bike underneath, so the reading was a bit wobbly - between 18kg and 19.5kg - I reckon it's around 18.5kg or 40.7lb - with battery and flat pedals, nothing else.
Massively heavier than may acoustic roadie, which is around 8.5kg, and my acoustic duallie is only around 14kg...I'm just gonna have to get used to the weight of an e-bike...
...sub 20kg was my target, which the Giant meets :)

cheers
Mike

When cruising around the Australian Giant site https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au it's not there (well I can't find it anyway).
But if you put it into the search window it comes up https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/revolt-eplus-pro-2020 - possibly user error :(
I've subsequently learned (through responses to my introduction thread https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/new-member-from-brisbane-australia.40211/#post-378230 ), that Giant removes the bike from their menus/general site once there's no stock available at the warehouse...which explains why I could find it on their site via searching, but not via site navigation...
...from discussion with one of the local Giant retailers, the 2021 model never made it to Australia...
...the paint job on the 2021 model looks awesome...https://www.giant-bicycles.com/nz/revolt-eplus-pro-45kmh
Excuse the pun, but that deep purple just has to rock!!!

I asked the guy in the Giant shop why the 2021 model of the Revolt didn't get to Australia...his opinion was that it's the 25km/h limit in Australia that killed demand for this style of bike...I've no idea if that's true...

...for me the Revolt 2020 ticks all the boxes I was looking for:
  • drop bars
  • decent torque in the motor
  • enough range for my daily commute (8km each way)
  • not ludicrously heavy (~18.5kg)...ok, coming from an acoustic roadie, I'm gobsmacked how heavy e-bikes are - hopefully I'll never have to ride it with a dead battery
Mike

Hello everybody. I currently have a regular non electric Giant Revolt (gravel bike?) and love it. I have been in the market for a new Ebike for some time, but have been waiting for the tech to get better and the prices to come down and that seems to be happening now. I have test rode the Specialized Creo, but for some reason, it's not doing it for me. I like it, but I'm not sold on it yet. I'm trying to hold out for the 2021 Giant Revolt E Pro, however, it seems like GIANT is have serious issues right now. I love the brand and have several GIANT bikes, but I'm not hearing good things about the company from local bike dealers as many are walking away from Giant all together. Anyway, do you guys know of any chance the Giant Revolt E Pro will come back to the USA? I have barely even seen any 2020 models anywhere. What other bikes do you think compared to this one? I want drop bars, lighter weight etc. I just want a bike that will help me ride 40-50 miles instead of 20-30 and go a few mph faster. Mostly paved trails, but some crushed or dirt and lots of urban stuff. Thanks!

My use for the Revolt is the same as yours (I ride my Motobecane Century and the Revolt on gravel, and the Revolt just lets me go further in the same amount of time, as well as keep up with friends who are much faster than me).

I've not heard of issues with Giant, aside from the issues everyone in the bike industry is having (super high demand, bikes and parts are scarce). My LBS seems very happy with Giant. I talked to my local shop a few months ago and was told Giant is still working on bringing the 2021 Revolt out. I assumed it would at least be on the website by the end of 2020, but apparently not. Its definitely coming, no idea exactly when.

As for other bikes that compare to the Revolt, the Niner RLT E9 looks really sweet, and Cannondale has a few Topstone models that are worth looking at as well. Its definitely a market thats a little thin.

Hello everybody. I currently have a regular non electric Giant Revolt (gravel bike?) and love it. I have been in the market for a new Ebike for some time, but have been waiting for the tech to get better and the prices to come down and that seems to be happening now. I have test rode the Specialized Creo, but for some reason, it's not doing it for me. I like it, but I'm not sold on it yet. I'm trying to hold out for the 2021 Giant Revolt E Pro, however, it seems like GIANT is have serious issues right now. I love the brand and have several GIANT bikes, but I'm not hearing good things about the company from local bike dealers as many are walking away from Giant all together. Anyway, do you guys know of any chance the Giant Revolt E Pro will come back to the USA? I have barely even seen any 2020 models anywhere. What other bikes do you think compared to this one? I want drop bars, lighter weight etc. I just want a bike that will help me ride 40-50 miles instead of 20-30 and go a few mph faster. Mostly paved trails, but some crushed or dirt and lots of urban stuff. Thanks!
I also have a 2020 Revolt E+ and am very happy with it. My lbs is very knowledgeable about Giant ebikes in general and has been supportive of any issues ( all software related) that I’ve had. I think success and satisfaction with your lbs is probably based on your relationship with them and their relationship with Giant. Oh, and some good luck. Also, The new app seems to have solved most problems I had been having. I did see a tech sheet on the 2021 version, and the major change is saw was larger battery (500 w) and a new display module. Oh, and a price increase of about $US 1000. You can see it if you go to the Giant website and enter your location as New Zealand ( don’t ask me why that works!)

I asked the guy in the Giant shop why the 2021 model of the Revolt didn't get to Australia...his opinion was that it's the 25km/h limit in Australia that killed demand for this style of bike...I've no idea if that's true...
That feels intuitively right. I've seen an explosion of ebikes on the roads the last year. They're making sense for us commuters, the MTB set are finally embracing them, and the recreational retirees can't get enough, but the one user group I see under-represented are the roadies.

The ones I know and have had the occasional misfortune to ride with (if you're reading luv you guys 😘) are happy as Larry sitting between 30 - 40 km/h. On an ebike that cuts out at 25 that's a punish for any length of time. You pay dearly for every km above cutoff. My most brutal rides have been trying to keep up with that pack.

One friend who does endurance trekking and routinely blasts past me at 45 km/h like I'm standing still actually bought and then sold a derestricted Ebike because it was cramping his style.

If that's your expectation of performance then an ebike - with our current ridiculously draconian regulation - is just going to be an exercise in frustration. Even bringing the speed limit up to the NZ or Canadian 32 km/h would make a world of difference and I think convert a lot more roadies.

For me as a commuter with more mortal expectations something like a Revolt looks like a great eventual upgrade to my Explore, if and when it gives up the ghost (hopefully many years from now).

Last edited:
I own a Revolt E+ and have ridden the Creo some, and I think the Revolt E+ is a good commuter. Besides better sealing, the one thing I've wanted is a bigger battery, but I've managed with the 375. So I think it was wise they jumped to 500, despite a price and weight increase.

I know my LBS was burned by dealing with the creaking motors from the Road E+ 1.

I've had an issue with the battery turning off on the Revolt E+, but finally solved that. I really love the bike in spite of that issue. I'm not active with the current app, so can't really comment on its performance.

The Niner RDO RLT E9 looks great. It can be fitted with a fork and different rotors (I wanted bigger ones on my Revolt E+). I would test ride that if possible. Geometry really matters in a good bike as I bet you recognize.

Last edited:
That feels intuitively right. I've seen an explosion of ebikes on the roads the last year. They're making sense for us commuters, the MTB set are finally embracing them, and the recreational retirees can't get enough, but the one user group I see under-represented are the roadies.

The ones I know and have had the occasional misfortune to ride with (if you're reading luv you guys 😘) are happy as Larry sitting between 30 - 40 km/h. On an ebike that cuts out at 25 that's a punish for any length of time. You pay dearly for every km above cutoff. My most brutal rides have been trying to keep up with that pack.

One friend who does endurance trekking and routinely blasts past me at 45 km/h like I'm standing still actually bought and then sold a derestricted Ebike because it was cramping his style.

If that's your expectation of performance then an ebike - with our current ridiculously draconian regulation - is just going to be an exercise in frustration. Even bringing the speed limit up to the NZ or Canadian 32 km/h would make a world of difference and I think convert a lot more roadies.

For me as a commuter with more mortal expectations something like a Revolt looks like a great eventual upgrade to my Explore, if and when it gives up the ghost (hopefully many years from now).
I couldn't agree more - if I can average over 25km/h on a 38km commute on my road bike then what would be the attraction in spending three or four times as much on a heavier bike so that I could ride at the same speed for less benefit? It's just too easy to pick an arbitrary speed limit figure and impose it. I wonder why electric cars don't have any limit imposed on them - according to Tesla's own site the "new" Tesla 3 will do 0-100km/h in 3.3 seconds and although top speeds are a little harder to find it will supposedly do 261km/h.

I actually thought that the only restriction in New Zealand (other than the speed limit of the road that you are travelling on) was simply that the motor could not be rated at above 300W (whatever that really means).

I actually thought that the only restriction in New Zealand (other than the speed limit of the road that you are travelling on) was simply that the motor could not be rated at above 300W (whatever that really means).
Sorry, you're spot on and I was wrong.. no hard speed limits, 300W motor limit. Now that's a civilised approach! I jumped to the incorrect assumption based on seeing quite a few NZ bikes slapped with the 32 km/h limit.

I need to finally rent a Vado SL for a day (if the weather becomes dry in coming days). The users of 25 km/h SLs claim pedalling past the speed limiter is actually easy on the SL e-bikes but I need to verify that claim in person. I cannot test the Creo SL though because road cycling is not my thing, and I am also afraid I couldn't mount and dismount a road e-bike given the shape of my health...

Happy to see Giant put the 500 battery on the Revolt. I expect my 2018 ToughRoad - it’s precursor - to last as long as I do, but if it doesn’t I’d run out and buy a Revolt in an instant now that they’ve improved the range. These are great bikes for widely varied terrain.

My wife has a 2021 Liv Thrive (which is basically the Liv version of the Giant Toughroad) on order. Same motor and battery as my Revolt, though as a 2021 it comes with the 500whr version. I'll probably test it out to see if its worth picking one up for my Revolt. I suspect it would be nice to have on some of my marginal routes (in the 30-40 mile range) but I'll still need the extender for most of my longer routes. More capacity is always appreciated though.

Shes looking forward to it. She put a lot of miles on my Revolt last year with me on my Motobecane and loved it.

picked my 2020 Revolt up this afternoon - my first e-bike

A great ride home - plenty of boost up the hills.
Quite a stiff headwind which would have been hard work on my acoustic, but became a cooling breeze on the e-bike.
No brick wall cutout at 25km/h - still some boost just over...but when the boost stops, I just slow down a bit :)

Some riding style changes may be required - I noticed at traffic lights when stopped with the master pedal ready the pressure I had on the pedal was enough to make the bike want to take off.
Also gear changes up hill, I need to back off more to reduce the motor torque through the drive train.

So far so good - my commute has become something to look forward to again!

Mike

Congratulations!
I noticed at traffic lights when stopped with the master pedal ready the pressure I had on the pedal was enough to make the bike want to take off.
That's the specific feature of Giant e-bikes called "Zero Cadence" :) Never take off in the granny gear and with maximum assistance: a wheelie is guaranteed! :)

Cloudy this morning, but chose to risk it for the commute in to work...unfortunately my shiny new machine got a little wet/dirty :( ...but having disc brakes is sooo much better than the rim brakes on my acoustic.
That's the specific feature of Giant e-bikes called "Zero Cadence" :)
Just amazing acceleration off the line - didn't stop in the right gear? no biggie, the motor just pulls you up to speed...
...I'm finding the 25km/h motor cut limit here in Australia is a pain - especially on rolling terrain where you have say 30-35km/h at the bottom of the hill and want to maintain reasonable speed up the next hill, but have no boost until your speed drops <25km/h :(...the people that set the limit here in Australia at 25km/h are clearly not cyclists commuting to work on rolling terrain :(...

...but stick under 25km/h and this bike is the sh!t - absolutely loving it!

Yesterday I took the steepest way home - the street I live on isn't long (say 150m), but it's 14% - I've been riding around it for 5 years on my acoustic.
Just for fun I did it 4 times on the new e-bike.

On the way home today I tried my normal route avoiding the last steep hill - what a fantastic cruise - so fast with the boost, instead of the long grind in the lowest gear on my acoustic, with knee pain on every pedal stroke.

Getting old? creaky knees? keep riding with an e-bike!

I'm still working out the range on my Revolt.
For battery longevity I'm trying to keep max charge around 80% using the factory charger until I get a charger that can stop charging at 80% max voltage.
A bit of a guessing game atm - the display turns off when you plug the battery charger in...so far I've been setting timers, and checking the display for battery level, then stop charging when the display says ~80%

Obviously charging the battery to only ~80% reduces range - I've only had the bike a little over 24hrs, and charged it last night (Mon) and tonight (Tues). Time will tell if I can get more than 1 commute from a single charge if I stay with a max charge of 80% - right now I have no way to charge the bike at work until I get another charger.

For my particular situation of the bike being used primarily for commuting to/from work (16km round trip), the 375WHr battery is ideal.
Based on posts above in this thread a 500WHr battery (instead of the 375WHr) would add around 1kg...

...I'm still getting my head around how heavy e-bikes are compared to acoustics >10kg in my case.
...I'm happy to stay with the 375WHr battery in my new e-bike just to keep it less than 20kg - and it's still insanely heavy.
I don't notice the weight at cruising speed, but manoeuvring around traffic at walking speed it feels like a tank...

...I'm not complaining though - the motor provides up to 360% of my effort for only a ~10kg increase in weight over my acoustic.
I'm completely OK with that compromise 👍

cheers
Mike

Back