Anyone with a 2020 Revolt E Pro?

Mike,

If you are really concerned about the battery longevity -- stick to the 20-80% charge range. If you, however, get the taste for longer rides: don't care, just charge to 100% as I do.

Bear in mind Giant batteries do not work well below 20% charge (very specific to Giant e-bikes). That is, the remaining 20% disappear in very few kilometres.

I got down to under 10% on Friday - I charged the bike to 100% in the morning and went for a ride with my sister (who has also bought a Revolt e+), then after she headed home I took mine over the local hill (Mt Cootha).
The battery was showing 51% at the bottom of the hill before the climb, so I had a little range anxiety...Eco and Basic were quite sufficient to get me to the top!...I'm in awe of the torque this bike has 👍

Was showing 29% at the top, so I nursed it home on ECO until bumping it up to Basic for the last hill home, finishing at 8%.

I didn't notice any power/torque drop from 20% to under 10%.

After letting the battery cool off I charged it again...took ages as expected, and I'm still getting used to the charging rates - was at 97% when I checked it Friday evening.
I had no plans to ride it the following day, and didn't want to leave it that full...so I did a few laps of the hill I live on to knock it back under 90%.

I will definitely get another charger that will allow me to set the charge voltage to ~80%.
That would mean I can leave the Giant charger at work in case I do a longer/steeper/faster morning ride on my commute and need to charge for the commute home, and allows me to charge to 80% at home without mucking with timers (and doing multiple laps up the hill at 11pm :rolleyes: )

I'm completely fine with charging to 100% just before a ride...I just don't want to leave the battery at 100% for any longer than necessary.

cheers
Mike

Not power drop but very short range below 20%.
agreed - I've read reviews of other e-bikes/motors that drop torque/power when the battery gets low.
I was under 10% battery with a final climb to get home and the Giant/Yamaha PX2 just hauled my fat@ss up the hill.

Don't replace the charger (or you're asking for trouble). Use a timer at the mains socket.
understood - I'll stick with OEM Giant chargers

agreed - I've read reviews of other e-bikes/motors that drop torque/power when the battery gets low.
I was under 10% battery with a final climb to get home and the Giant/Yamaha PX2 just hauled my fat@ss up the hill.

understood - I'll stick with OEM Giant chargers
For comparison: Specialized batteries provide flat power down to 5% and then the motor cuts off. The remaining charge powers the display and lights (if any).

1 month of ownership tomorrow for my Giant Revolt E 2020...my 1st e-bike.
It was googling the Revolt that found this thread, and it was reading this thread that convinced me the Revolt was a good fit to my requirements (mostly pavement commuting and getting back into social group rides with friendlies that will tolerate an e-biker :cool: ).

I don't have any experience to compare my Revolt with other e-bikes other than some short test rides of an Orbea hub drive and a Focus mid drive - neither of which had the boost I was seeking to give my knees a break on Brisbane hills.
The Revolt has the Yamaha PX2 motor, with 80Nm of torque and up to 360% boost - which I've found to be plenty to haul me up Brisbane's steepest streets!

On my acoustic bike (which has a 38T small front chain ring and 28T largest cog on the back), I've been avoiding hills for a long time to save my creaky knees.
Since owning the Revolt, hilariously I've sought out Brisbane hills to see what it can drag me up :p...

Before getting an e-bike I did consider putting easier gears on my acoustic, ie swapping the crank set for a compact setup, and getting a longer throw derailleur to run a bigger tooth rear cassette...
...At the last chain replacement on my acoustic I did swap from a 25T to a 28T largest cog on the rear cassette - a 12% reduction in gearing...which helped quite a bit on my commute...but lower gearing was never going to help me to participate in a group ride again.

Riding my Revolt e-bike has been a revelation - it's totally brought the "fun" back to cycle commuting, which has steadily declined from "fun" to a "chore" over the last 5 years or so as I get older and my knees get creakier.

The 375Wh battery in my Revolt suits me fine.
The range is enough for my commute including a social ride on the way to work...and coming from a carbon acoustic I'm happy with the weight reduction of the smaller battery.

Before I found the Giant Revolt, the other option I'd found was the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 4, at the eye watering price of AUD$8,700 - no way I could justify that expense :(.
I've always found Giant bicycles to be excellent "bang for buck" - and on finding the Giant Revolt E+ Pro '20 on the interweb @ AUD$5,700, (the Cannondale being > 50% more expensive), I went searching for Revolts available in Brisbane.

I work in the city, so my 1st stop was the Brisbane Giant store - they only had a medium and a large Revolt in stock, and to their credit advised I would need an XL...
...and they couldn't order an XL as no more Revolt 2020 models were available from Giant (AU)...only the floor stock at bike shops...they advised me to get on the phone and check stock at other Brisbane bike shops...
...bikeexchange.com.au showed me what stock the other Brisbane Giant stores had...and Giant Ashgrove (not too far from me) had an XL in stock...

...I dropped in the next day to the Giant Ashgrove store to take a Revolt for a test ride...I said I was interested in test riding a Giant Revolt in size XL, the sales guy said, "you're lucky - the XL is the last one of those in the shop" :).
The Ashgrove Giant bike shop happens to be on the top of a hill, with some typical steep Brisbane suburban hills back to the top...1 loop in Giant's "Active" mode (still 2 higher boost modes available) was enough to demonstrate to me that the Revolt had way more boost available than the previous Orbea or Focus e-bikes I'd tried in their max boost modes...and dragged me up the hill so easily...I was sold!
...I got back to the bike shop so quickly the sales guy thought something had gone wrong...he actually said, "I thought something was wrong until I saw your e-bike grin"...:)
The sales guy had brought their Park bike scales out - by hand the Revolt measured a wobbly but always < 20kg weight...
...a done deal from my perspective!...I put a deposit down to hold it.

It took me a few weeks to gather the cash to pick the bike up...my dad took pity on me and lent me the final instalment...I had just ridden to work on my acoustic when dad called and told me he'd transferred the $ to my account...of course I rang the bike shop and paid the remainder to have the bike ready for pickup the same day...
...at the end of the work day I took a bus to the Ashgrove Giant store and picked up my new Revolt e-bike for the ride home...amazing ride...including "cruising" up the steep street I live on that I've ridden around for the last 5 years or so...
...my acoustic is still at work in the same spot I parked it on the day I picked up my Revolt...

My Revolt is amazing - as I said above, it's brought the fun back to my cycle commuting.
It's got me out on weekend rides again just 'cos it's fun like it used to be before age and creaky knees made my cycling not fun anymore...

Of course lots of e-bikes might be as good as my Giant Revolt...I wouldn't know...
All I can say is that the Giant Revolt E+ '20 e-bike absolutely rocks!

cheers
Mike

Well mines been in the shop 4 times now. Riding along and it turns itself off. Sometimes it will restart sometimes not. Same thing again after 6 miles and 74% battery power. The shop has done all the factory fixes, plus new controller and new motor and connections.
Giant Revolt is a big FAIL

Well mines been in the shop 4 times now. Riding along and it turns itself off. Sometimes it will restart sometimes not. Same thing again after 6 miles and 74% battery power. The shop has done all the factory fixes, plus new controller and new motor and connections.
My Revolt has been a perfect ride. Please let us know what more you find so we can be forewarned. Thanks.

Hey dotcom54, under what conditions does it turn off? By any chance when it starts to get bumpy/rough terrain or under impacts?

yuk - that's truly awful :(

"touches wood"...so far no issues like that with mine...

Mike

My experience with the 2020 Giant Revolt e pro are very different from @doctom54 's - which he hopefully gets sorted soon.

I've only had mine for 2 months with 500km on the clock, but it rocks!

Awesome torque and assistance from the Yamaha px2 that hauls my f@t@ss up the steepest Brisbane hills.

Mike

After a solid year on the Revolt, I made a few winter tweaks. First, I ditched the Ridecontrol Evo for a Ridecontrol One (which is screenless and usually comes on Giants mountainbikes). The switch was relatively simple. The One syncs with my Garmin Edge 530 for displaying assist mode and battery percentage (which is all I ever used the Evo for) and cleans up the bars. I also finally got my routewerks bar bag, which was a kickstarter I backed last year. Since it gives me a handy place for a snack and my phone, I removed the Revelate mag tank I'd been running for that purpose. It comes with a mount point for my Garmin too.

Still loving the bike! Eying a 500whr battery when I get around to it, just to have, but I find that the 375+extender still covers most of my riding fine.

rfegWq6l.jpg

Lf2zrrvl.jpg

After a solid year on the Revolt, I made a few winter tweaks. First, I ditched the Ridecontrol Evo for a Ridecontrol One (which is screenless and usually comes on Giants mountainbikes). The switch was relatively simple. The One syncs with my Garmin Edge 530 for displaying assist mode and battery percentage (which is all I ever used the Evo for) and cleans up the bars. I also finally got my routewerks bar bag, which was a kickstarter I backed last year. Since it gives me a handy place for a snack and my phone, I removed the Revelate mag tank I'd been running for that purpose. It comes with a mount point for my Garmin too.

Still loving the bike! Eying a 500whr battery when I get around to it, just to have, but I find that the 375+extender still covers most of my riding fine.

rfegWq6l.jpg

Lf2zrrvl.jpg

Nice, I like this setup a lot. Would the One clear the stem? I was thinking of doing that plus running my Garmin 510.

Nice, I like this setup a lot. Would the One clear the stem? I was thinking of doing that plus running my Garmin 510.
The problem with the One is that the clamp diameter is set for the grip end of flat bars. Thats as close as I could get it to the stem on the wider part of the bars and still tighten the screw down. I'd have put it right against the stem if I could. You could probably figure out a way to expand the clamp if you really wanted to but I didn't mess with it. Its really designed for flat bars.

Last edited:

rfegWq6l.jpg

Lf2zrrvl.jpg
nice clean cockpit without the Giant Ridecontrol Evo - I run a Cycliq front camera/light and fortunately the bell fits underneath the control on the left side, but the camera makes a cramped cockpit

IMG_6937 rotate.jpg

cheers
Mike

nice clean cockpit without the Giant Ridecontrol Evo - I run a Cycliq front camera/light and fortunately the bell fits underneath the control on the left side, but the camera makes a cramped cockpit
If the Cycliq has a gopro type mount, you could use a stem mount out front holder like this one:
Which was what I used prior to this switch for my Garmin. It basically mounts to the front of the stem instead of clamping to the bar.

Fellow EBR member @LouLouLePew was having similar issues with his MY21 Explore Pro. His shop replacee controller and something called a "Smart Gateway", as well as re-gasketing his battery. It seems to have worked. I had remarked to him how loose his battery seemed to fit as compared to my MY20 Fathom Pro. On mine, the battery fits so tightly it's difficult to remove.

The upper battery mount has some adjustment to it. If the battery latches up loose, there are some bolts you can loosen up and slide the whole upper mount down to tighten things up. My recollection is the whole assembly isn't intuitive so you may need to dig around a bit, but its def there.

Installed RC1 w/ edge130 it is working well. Mounting was a process. First installed per K20z3allmotor below left brake. Clean but suffered double shifts and on death grip bumpy down hills I couldn't get a safe grip. The taper from bar mount( 31.8) to hand diameter(22.2) took up too much space on the top and crowded handspace with RC1. I was unable to find a bar with a narrower taper length. So, minimalist, bargain ($3), industrial fix. #1 conduit clamp+ slightly longer 5mm bolt+spacer+piece of old short MTB handlebar. If needed I can add a second clamp and put any length tube to mount ??

cl.JPGIMG_1510.JPGIMG_1518.JPGIMG_1530.JPG

Last edited:
Back