Anybody else a bit reluctant to ride their eBike in the rain?

Brockrock

Region
USA
I used to love riding my bike in the rain on hot summer days...you know...those steamy days when you can actually smell the street. We have had several of those type days recently here in southern New England - with more on the way - and even though my Aventon Level is designed and certified to the IPX4 water-resistance standard, I just know too much about electronics, wiring, and micro connectors to feel comfortable doing so. Heck, after taking a long ride on some of our more humid days, I set my garage dehumidifier to its lowest setting (35%) in order to dry everything out for several hours. Direct water exposure however, is something that I just don't feel comfortable with.

The big issue with moisture exposure is that typically, problems don't rear their ugly heads - so to speak - until well after the initial and subsequent exposures, and then all of a sudden, something fails because of a small amount of corrosion, and one is suddenly reminded of the fact that electrical issues can be some of the most difficult issues to troubleshoot and repair.

On the other hand, maybe all I have to do is put a little Ziploc snack-bag over my monitor and just ride. Am I thinking about this too much?

Have ridden in rain and wet snow, no issues.

Attachments

• 1274FED5-6F6C-4D16-A497-ADCDD91273E8.jpeg
    1274FED5-6F6C-4D16-A497-ADCDD91273E8.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 214
i hear you! i am afraid of the rain. i race home to protect my baby. but i am happy to read this thread. i just cant stop riding and when it rains i am sad. not now :)

Last edited:
I've biked to work many a sunny morning that give rainy afternoons for the ride home. If it is torrential, and I'm en-route home, I'll usually find the nearest underpass to wait for a break -- more for visibility/safety than concern for the bike. I keep a sandwich baggie and rubber bands in my bag so I can wrap up the little display screen, more precautionary than a dread fear of water infiltration (I've been in rains without the baggie over the years, with no side effects on the display). I have a rear-hub, so I do avoid riding through any storm puddle that looks more than 3 inches deep, to avoid immersion vs. rainfall.

E-bikes are made to be used outside. It sometimes rains outside, and in some areas and times of year much more often than others.

Any e-bike which would be damaged by riding in the rain is an absolute ripoff. It isn't technically complicated or expensive to make the electrical system of an e-bike rainproof.

I've ridden my e-bike across rivers. Just saying.

I used to love riding my bike in the rain on hot summer days...you know...those steamy days when you can actually smell the street. We have had several of those type days recently here in southern New England - with more on the way - and even though my Aventon Level is designed and certified to the IPX4 water-resistance standard, I just know too much about electronics, wiring, and micro connectors to feel comfortable doing so. Heck, after taking a long ride on some of our more humid days, I set my garage dehumidifier to its lowest setting (35%) in order to dry everything out for several hours. Direct water exposure however, is something that I just don't feel comfortable with.

The big issue with moisture exposure is that typically, problems don't rear their ugly heads - so to speak - until well after the initial and subsequent exposures, and then all of a sudden, something fails because of a small amount of corrosion, and one is suddenly reminded of the fact that electrical issues can be some of the most difficult issues to troubleshoot and repair.

On the other hand, maybe all I have to do is put a little Ziploc snack-bag over my monitor and just ride. Am I thinking about this too much?
I avoid riding in the rain, mostly because it’s less fun. especially the storms we get here in Northern Virginia. We often get 2” per hour storms.

I didn’t mind when I was a kid. Rode in rain, snow, sleet.

I don’t worry about the bike. Just need to have towels in the garage when I get home

I avoid riding in the rain, mostly because it’s less fun. especially the storms we get here in Northern Virginia. We often get 2” per hour storms.

I didn’t mind when I was a kid. Rode in rain, snow, sleet.

I don’t worry about the bike. Just need to have towels in the garage when I get home
Same heavy rains out of a sky that looked clear 10 minutes ago here. Just more frequent. A normal day here in Pennsyltucky has about a 50 percent chance of rain sometime during the day.
I don't like getting wet (soaked) frequently, but I don't worry about it, neither the bike or I will melt.

Great discussion folks! I appreciate all the replies. It seems the general consensus is that modern eBikes do just fine in the rain, and one should not worry about causing damage to them by riding in that environment. It sounds like some folks do because they rely on their bike as their primary transportation to/from work and for other uses, while some other folks do not because it's simply wet and uncomfortable, while all agreeing for the most part, that the bike itself is fully capable.

For me, because my bike is for recreational use only - as a great form of non-boring exercise - I am of the camp that would suggest that even though rain exposure to the bike may not cause damage due to its design, it also can't be contributing to anything good, and as such - logically - if I do not need to ride, there is no benefit - the one exception - of course - being the mere thrill of doing so, but at this point in my life, I have learned that certain things I very much enjoyed in my earlier years are less enjoyable now...

A bit reluctant? I always check the weather prior to riding. Not a huge fan of being wet and cold when trying to enjoy myself. So far I've just been caught in a quick shower that blew out to sea as I rode through it. Got wet but dried out quickly.

It seems the general consensus is that modern eBikes do just fine in the rain, and one should not worry about causing damage to them by riding in that environment.
Treat them the same as with any pedal bike. When you are done with the bike, towel it down and pat it dry. Yes the chain too. No, you will not remove the lubrication from it.

It's lingering water that causes problems.

Having a bike exposed to water for 2 hours as you ride it in rain is fine. Having a bike exposed to water for 20 hours as you store your wet bike in the shed is not fine - you just subjected it to 1000% more water exposure.

Back