Anybody else a bit reluctant to ride their eBike in the rain?

The ¥1200 ($10) way to do it:

FA2D3E89-C5C5-41BC-9400-ECCC2C82C5F9.jpeg

Treat them the same as with any pedal bike. When you are done with the bike, towel it down and pat it dry. Yes the chain too. No, you will not remove the lubrication from it.

It's lingering water that causes problems.

Having a bike exposed to water for 2 hours as you ride it in rain is fine. Having a bike exposed to water for 20 hours as you store your wet bike in the shed is not fine - you just subjected it to 1000% more water exposure.
that's not going too get the water out of the parts that matter the bearings and such. in winter with a unheated garage sometimes my bikes don't dry out for days. the chain can rust if it is left for days and you don't have a lube that can handle it.

that's not going too get the water out of the parts that matter the bearings and such. in winter with a unheated garage sometimes my bikes don't dry out for days. the chain can rust if it is left for days and you don't have a lube that can handle it.
Don't worry about. I can take care of all my bikes fine.

The biggest issue with rain is not so much the water but the muck that inevitably comes along with it. So having a good place to gently hose your bike off at the end of the day (and a good supply of rags, shop towels, and a brush) is important.

I used to love riding my bike in the rain on hot summer days...you know...those steamy days when you can actually smell the street. We have had several of those type days recently here in southern New England - with more on the way - and even though my Aventon Level is designed and certified to the IPX4 water-resistance standard, I just know too much about electronics, wiring, and micro connectors to feel comfortable doing so. Heck, after taking a long ride on some of our more humid days, I set my garage dehumidifier to its lowest setting (35%) in order to dry everything out for several hours. Direct water exposure however, is something that I just don't feel comfortable with.

The big issue with moisture exposure is that typically, problems don't rear their ugly heads - so to speak - until well after the initial and subsequent exposures, and then all of a sudden, something fails because of a small amount of corrosion, and one is suddenly reminded of the fact that electrical issues can be some of the most difficult issues to troubleshoot and repair.

On the other hand, maybe all I have to do is put a little Ziploc snack-bag over my monitor and just ride. Am I thinking about this too much?
i have got caught up in a couple thunderstorms and had no problems. when i got home i turned on my air compressor and blew the water drops off my bike. after that i made 2 gaskets for the controller box. and assembled them.

I used to love riding my bike in the rain on hot summer days...you know...those steamy days when you can actually smell the street. We have had several of those type days recently here in southern New England - with more on the way - and even though my Aventon Level is designed and certified to the IPX4 water-resistance standard, I just know too much about electronics, wiring, and micro connectors to feel comfortable doing so. Heck, after taking a long ride on some of our more humid days, I set my garage dehumidifier to its lowest setting (35%) in order to dry everything out for several hours. Direct water exposure however, is something that I just don't feel comfortable with.

The big issue with moisture exposure is that typically, problems don't rear their ugly heads - so to speak - until well after the initial and subsequent exposures, and then all of a sudden, something fails because of a small amount of corrosion, and one is suddenly reminded of the fact that electrical issues can be some of the most difficult issues to troubleshoot and repair.

On the other hand, maybe all I have to do is put a little Ziploc snack-bag over my monitor and just ride. Am I thinking about this too much?
The baggy is a good idea. Better to be safe than sorry, especially now when replacement parts are so difficult to find. Dielectric grease applied at connectors is also a good preventative measure and a small tube is all you need and will last a lifetime.

Biggest problem is with bikes without fenders where are the road grime including motor oil is tossed up and coats the derailleurs and frame and more maintenance is needed.

Biggest problem is with bikes without fenders where are the road grime including motor oil is tossed up and coats the derailleurs and frame and more maintenance is needed.
All my bikes since I started cycling have fenders.

Even in dry cycling, they stop a lot of dust/soot/debris/fresh asphalt from going everywhere.

Ebikes amplify that all even more due to increased speeds and mileage.

All my bikes since I started cycling have fenders.

Even in dry cycling, they stop a lot of dust/soot/debris/fresh asphalt from going everywhere.

Ebikes amplify that all even more due to increased speeds and mileage.
Yep my headset bearings were oozing rusty grease after 4 months of rain riding so better bearings took care of it.

8 ebikers all got caught in extreme downpour for 14 miles last week. No problems for anyone, but definitely recommend re-lubing the chain after such a wash.

There are worse things than motor oil getting thrown up and on you. In some neighborhoods, you would think we had gone back to medieval times before they invented sewers.

In some neighborhoods, you would think we had gone back to medieval times before they invented sewers.
Los Angeles! OMG - I couldn’t believe the amount of human excrement on the sidewalks there. It’s as if there’s someone laying landmines intentionally. We stayed at the daughter’s place in Hollywood- you’d think it’d been nice to walk around there - but every morning I went for a stroll I saw it. They blamed the homeless but I rarely saw anyone sleeping on the streets. Maybe it’s a progressive millennial cult and they only come out at night!

My controller died. When I opened the case it was full of sediment dirt. I don't ride in rain, only ride through puddles if I cannot avoid it. I found one wire completely corroded away. My attempt to re-solder a new wire failed. There simply is not enough space to work on the circuit board. I also noted that there was no seal on the box-it was simply metal on metal which is waterproof at all. Also, the grommets sealing the wires on both end were not sealed. I email the pictures to the manufacturer and they ordered a new controller (no questions asked) even though my bike was 6 months out of warranty. When the new controller arrives, I will definitely check if it is sealed better. If not, I will improvise some rubber seal and silicone caulk. Unfortunately the controller is on back order from China for the past month and I have no idea when I will get it. In the mean time I am back to my regular bike.

Normally I wouldn't be worried about it, but after washing my Giant E-Bike with a water hose (not a power washer), taking care not to overly direct water at any electronics, only to find I was unable to turn off the bike without removing the battery, I guess I will avoid intentionally riding in the rain. It took 4 days to dry out enough to function normally.

Back