Any Trekkers using a spare battery to extend your range and hows it working?

Bringing along an extra power tube is cumbersome, difficult to properly stow on board and potentially dangerous having a less than secure battery in the event of a spill.

I added Trek's piggy back range extender battery set up to my Allant +9.9s. It was spendy at nearly $300 parts and labor. I already have an assortment of Bosch 500 watt power packs for my other bikes. It is the most integrated solution. It totally eliminates the issue of where to carry the battery when it is needed for a longer ride. It is fully integrated into the Bosch system with the power being pulled 5% from each battery back and forth, resulting in equal use of each battery and maximizing the range achieved. The range estimate reflects the presence of both batteries as well. No need to set anything up. The extra battery is detected and integrated automatically.

I kind of wish the whole receiver apparatus was not there all the time, even when the second power pack battery is not needed. It does detract from the bike's great aesthetics.

20200322_101733.jpg

20200711_131105.jpg

20200507_150914.jpg

Bringing along an extra power tube is cumbersome, difficult to properly stow on board and potentially dangerous having a less than secure battery in the event of a spill.

I added Trek's piggy back range extender battery set up to my Allant +9.9s. It was spendy at nearly $300 parts and labor. I already have an assortment of Bosch 500 watt power packs for my other bikes. It is the most integrated solution. It totally eliminates the issue of where to carry the battery when it is needed for a longer ride. It is fully integrated into the Bosch system with the power being pulled 5% from each battery back and forth, resulting in equal use of each battery and maximizing the range achieved. The range estimate reflects the presence of both batteries as well. No need to set anything up. The extra battery is detected and integrated automatically.

I kind of wish the whole receiver apparatus was not there all the time, even when the second power pack battery is not needed. It does detract from the bike's great aesthetics.

View attachment 65040

View attachment 65044

View attachment 65045
Your bike is always gorgeous, and you make some valid points. For myself, I am hoping that carrying a second battery will preserve asthetics, though obviously at the cost of function. Hmmm

View attachment 65040

View attachment 65044

View attachment 65045
Yeah, you buy the bike partially because of aesthetics and then add a wart to the style! Bummer.☹️
Im gonna try the second PowerTube first. It’s way more expensive but it’s also a 625! If I had your collection of Bosch batteries, I’d probably go with the Range Booster.

BTW, Ive ordered the battery and a (beer carrier) case I’m going to use this to carry it on top of the bar. After I add 3M paint protector tape to the bar. It’s too long to work under the bar. Won’t use it much but I think it will work. I’ll send a pic when it’s done.
E76518B0-6031-4410-A679-7E6AD5553A65.jpeg

BTW, Ive ordered the battery and a (beer carrier) case I’m going to use this to carry it on top of the bar. After I add 3M paint protector tape to the bar. It’s too long to work under the bar. Won’t use it much but I think it will work. I’ll send a pic when it’s done.
View attachment 66502
I’ll probably always use the 625 in the normal Allant battery compartment and carry the lighter 500 in the beer tube.

Hey Guys! Just got the new bike today! (I will definitely take pictures tomorrow when i get out riding. ) I had a question about the range booster and this seems like the best thread to ask it on: Does the range-boosted battery lock at all? I got the range booster and the guy from the LBS said it would lock in place once the powertube was put in. I find that is not the case, however. The range booster/second battery on mine is always able to be released and never locks. Is this the case with everyone else?

edit: just to clarify, Im talking about it locking and not being able to be removed / theft concerns. It does click into place securely. I just meant, since it doesn't have a key and is supposed to lock from the powertube key... mine doesn't do that.

Mine has a flat head bolt, on the inside of the release>that hits the inside power tube and won't depress far enough to release the outer battery unless the inner battery is moved out of the way.

Mine has a flat head bolt, on the inside of the release>that hits the inside power tube and won't depress far enough to release the outer battery unless the inner battery is moved out of the way.
ah, okay.. that is what mine has, as well. Maybe i just need to tighten that bolt to make sure the bolt is hitting the inner power tower. Thanks for the info.

Confirm: The Trek technician forgot to adjust that screw when installing my Range Boost battery. As per the instructions, adjust so the screw touches the battery only when depressing the latch. Easy adjustment.

Thanks @Sparky731 for confirming that. My bikes at the shop getting an adjustable stim. If the guy isn't there when I pickup, I'll try to do it myself at home.

You are right. The handle is a separate piece from the spacer and is required to lock the battery in place.
Slightly off topic, but I broke the handle on my 500 (no spacer) in my 2019 Domane+. (It fell out of my car when I opened the door while transporting the bike w/ it removed.) Reinserted it and it works fine but I now can't remove it. I have just been charging it onboard for the last couple of months b/c I am having too much fun riding to take it into the shop to see if they can A - get the battery out; B - replace the handle (which looks pretty simple w/ a few screw removals and the replacement part which I'm sure they will have to order from Bosch). Will report back after this is accomplished to advise how big a hassle it ended up being.

Slightly off topic, but I broke the handle on my 500 (no spacer) in my 2019 Domane+. (It fell out of my car when I opened the door while transporting the bike w/ it removed.) Reinserted it and it works fine but I now can't remove it. I have just been charging it onboard for the last couple of months b/c I am having too much fun riding to take it into the shop to see if they can A - get the battery out; B - replace the handle (which looks pretty simple w/ a few screw removals and the replacement part which I'm sure they will have to order from Bosch). Will report back after this is accomplished to advise how big a hassle it ended up being.
Hmm, if not broken too badly, that handle has a spring that helps the top come out when the battery is unlocked. If you can unlock it maybe a plastic tire lever or wooden popsicle stick can wedge it out without scratching. Best of luck!

Back