Any reliable ebike carriers for car/suv (tow hitch)?

330rcs

I have a 62 lb ebike and will be driving from Colorado to Texas. I'd like to be able to bring my bike with me. Are there any reliable ebike carriers for this type of distance? I am trying to search but it seems most are rated to about 35 lbs per bike and some will hold two bikes but I don't know if you can combine the weight of two bikes or what. Any suggestions?

The 35 lb. weight rating is the engineered weight limit of the mounting hardware for one bike slot/mount position. You should not put a 70 lb. bike on a rack that is rated for two 35 lb. bikes.

Edit: Most bike rack manufacturers have racks that are specifically designed for heavier ebikes. Thule, Saris, Hollywood, Yakima.....

Last edited:
... most are rated to about 35 lbs per bike and some will hold two bikes but I don't know if you can combine the weight of two bikes or what...
35 per bike? huh? I have the Kuat NV 2.0 with a 2" hitch (carries 2) and I think it is 60 per bike. Thule Easyfold is similar. Probably at least a half dozen threads in the forums on hitch mounted racks.

I have a 62 lb ebike and will be driving from Colorado to Texas. I'd like to be able to bring my bike with me. Are there any reliable ebike carriers for this type of distance? I am trying to search but it seems most are rated to about 35 lbs per bike and some will hold two bikes but I don't know if you can combine the weight of two bikes or what. Any suggestions?
Try etrailer.com. They have lots of racks and are pretty good at showing how they work.

Try etrailer.com. They have lots of racks and are pretty good at showing how they work.
Yes agree. I found etrailer to be extremely helpful via a phone call when I was trying to sort out the hitch problems with my Subaru. Really friendly person was also really knowledgeable and kinda took me step by step through what I needed to do and order.

35 per bike? huh? I have the Kuat NV 2.0 with a 2" hitch (carries 2) and I think it is 60 per bike. Thule Easyfold is similar. Probably at least a half dozen threads in the forums on hitch mounted racks.
We use the Thule Easyfold, very solid.

In addition to other threads on this forum you can search the web for electric bike hitch rack to find a number of brands that are rated for these heavier bikes.

Most are more expensive than you might be accustomed to, but you do get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Are there any other alternatives to transporting a bike across state? I understand you get what you pay for and especially when it comes to transporting a $4k bike it makes sense to get the most reliable.

However in my case I only need it for this one particular drive. I don't have any need for a bike rack/hitch besides this one drive there and back. Instead of spending $800 on a rack for one time use, I could just instead rent a bigger size vehicle, mini van or large suv and just put the bike inside?

Are there any other alternatives to transporting a bike across state? I understand you get what you pay for and especially when it comes to transporting a $4k bike it makes sense to get the most reliable.

However in my case I only need it for this one particular drive. I don't have any need for a bike rack/hitch besides this one drive there and back. Instead of spending $800 on a rack for one time use, I could just instead rent a bigger size vehicle, mini van or large suv and just put the bike inside?
Companies like U-Haul rent car and equipment trailers for something like $20/day. They have more than adequate weight capacity. You'd need to secure the bike to the trailer but I've seen people do this with motorcycles.

Companies like U-Haul rent car and equipment trailers for something like $20/day. They have more than adequate weight capacity. You'd need to secure the bike to the trailer but I've seen people do this with motorcycles.
Check out this Motorcycle Rental Trailer. It's advertised for $15/day, plus taxes, etc, etc. I've never seen one, so availability may be limited.

I too am in the process of finding a good hitch-mount ebike carrier. The easiest and least expensive solution for one bike is a motorbike/cycle carrier. Amazon has several and Harbor Freight has one on sale right now for $109, the Haul-Master 400lb Receiver-mount carrier.

Yes agree. I found etrailer to be extremely helpful via a phone call when I was trying to sort out the hitch problems with my Subaru. Really friendly person was also really knowledgeable and kinda took me step by step through what I needed to do and order.
That's good to know. Looked for a rack for a sprinter van w/ "barn doors" rather than a tailgate and lbs hadn't a clue.

I have a KAC (Kick Ass Carriers) rated for 60 lb. ebikes, but if I didn't already have it, I'd get a Harbor Freight carrier and improvise the ebike adaptations. They offer pretty high load ratings, and the price is right.

BTW, I bought my Hollywood SE2 for electric bikes rated (at the time) for 2-50# ebikes made to work with a 2” hitch from etrailer.com. I always remove my batteries so that rating is right on for our bikes. Its very solid.

Back