Any Colt owners, a quick question.

Joe EE

Hello all. Looking into this bike. Presently riding a Voltbike Yukon 750. My question is; at my 230 pound 6 foot size, in your opinion is the 500 Watt motor going to be enough. It is fairly hilly where I live and the Yukon is fine. Really peppy uphill actually. The Colt looks like a great bike. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hello! We've got some pretty long, steep hills here in Ladysmith, and I've had no problem with the Colt or Rook on any of them. Of course, that is with me pedalling - I haven't tried with throttle only, but perhaps I should sometime. We use the Rook and Colt for our eBike tours, and our tours end with a very long, steep hill and so far everyone has made it up just fine.

If it helps, I've done a video review of the Rook here, which is the same bike but with a lower crossbar: http://citruscycles.ca/surface-604-colt-cruiser-ebike

It looks like we will be receiving our first batch of black Rooks later next week - they've changed from Grey to Black which I think is great.

@Kelly @ CitrusCycles.ca Do you have a picture of the new black version? I didn't like the grey or the white, but would be interested in a black. Thanks.

Hi there SuperGoop!

Heres a quick cellphone picture that we took. We are still working on getting some professional pictures done and they should be available soon!
lehsDb1.jpg

Thanks!

Hello all. Looking into this bike. Presently riding a Voltbike Yukon 750. My question is; at my 230 pound 6 foot size, in your opinion is the 500 Watt motor going to be enough. It is fairly hilly where I live and the Yukon is fine. Really peppy uphill actually. The Colt looks like a great bike. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi,

Just got my new black Colt less than 2 weeks ago. So far put about 240 kms on it. I happen to weigh in at 239 lbs. and am 6'2" tall. I have no problems with the bike going up hills (although I live in the greater Toronto area and there are no hills like out west) with the bike. I find it to be quite peppy. The only complaint I have is that I can only get about 40 to 50 kms on a charge. The review I saw on Youtube indicated that 60 kms would be about right. I'm sure this decreased kms per charge is due to the fact that I am quite heavy but I wish I could get a few more kms per charge.

Rob,

Ive had my Rook for 2 weeks and love it!
I try to ride it everyday.
I'm about the same side and live in a hilly part of sw Detroit.
I've gone aprox.40 miles on full charge.
Thats on 2-3 pas and use throttle infrequently.
The charge port plug is a challenge to get in.

Attachments

• IMG_4764.JPG
    IMG_4764.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 1,896
I am in Nanaimo, a place with a few hills of note. My Surface 604 Colt handles the hills with ease. If you buy, beware VERY close tolerance chain guard which if not exactly set up will either rub on pedal crank or on the drive cog. Also, one of my stock pedals' bearing wore out completely after about 250km. Surface warranty does not cover pedals without which the bike is useless. Surface - please, either cover the pedals or install better ones to match the quality of other compnents!

Hi all,
I have a few comments on the Surface 604 Rook:
1. The Rook is a great bike.
2.Be gentle while shifting. The chain will jump and get jammed in main cog.
3.Be carful when you adjust handle bars. They didn't leave much slack and you could damage connections.undo wrap then adjust
4. Make sure pedal crank bolt and set screws are torqued correctly, if not pedal crank and pedal will fall off and you will lose the Samox screw. This screw or one that will work is impossible to find at your local bike shop and must be ordered from Surface604. The crank is of good quality as long as it is torqued correctly. Also discover a spacer installed on left side. This prevents the 2 set screws from having enough meat on the spindle . I don't know why it installed.
5. The chain guard is easily adjusted and will need attention from time to time.
6.A Satori Harmony and 60 mm Monkey Jack shim is a well worthwhile and afordable add on
This bike is a blast to ride and comfortable. They used quality components and priced it right.
Try to buy it from a dealer who knows about e-bikes.

I am in Nanaimo, a place with a few hills of note. My Surface 604 Colt handles the hills with ease. If you buy, beware VERY close tolerance chain guard which if not exactly set up will either rub on pedal crank or on the drive cog. Also, one of my stock pedals' bearing wore out completely after about 250km. Surface warranty does not cover pedals without which the bike is useless. Surface - please, either cover the pedals or install better ones to match the quality of other compnents!
I agree that it would have been good for the pedal to have been replaced by Surface604 under warranty, so hopefully the ones I provided at no charge to you will be suitable replacements. You can use a hex key to tighten them, which I prefer over a pedal wrench but if you run into any problems doing the swap, please let me know.

I purchased the Rook last spring I have rode over 200 miles and the bike is very comfortable. I weigh 240 pounds and 77 years young. The terrain were I live in western Michigan is mostly hilly. I have never experience low power even on the most steep hills. The bike is a joy to ride. I do pedal mostly on PAS 1 or 2. The torque assist is really helpful when climbing. Overall, the bike feels strong not fragile. Needless to say, I highly recommend this Surface 604 bike.

Hey Nick. I have my Colt since July and my experience has been the same. No power issues whatsoever and I love the torque sensor. The stem adjust on the handlebars loosens up rather easily so that’s a bit annoying but I’m going to swap that out. I also did have the chain jump off the gears once while my son was riding but I think that kind of stuff just happens. All in all I am very satisfied with this bicycle.

34 miles on 1 charge with a fair amount of throttling. 20+ MPH downhill. It’s a nice agile bike.

31.9 kms per hour on flat ground. I have owned a Colt since September,rides 44kms a day five days a week on the West Coast,7,000 kms so far, new brakes and new chain every 1,000 kms, needed to change the derailleur,2 new cassettes, needed a new motor after 2,800 kms (graciously done under warranty). When running properly it's a magic carpet but it's starting to look much more like an expensive toy than an alternate mode of transportation. The range is extremely variable , hills on the Gulf Islands will limit me to 30 kms but I have managed close to 50 kms on flatter ground.Love the bike but it's an expensive p[leasure.

Back