Anti Theft, Guaranteed

I did a similar thing on my wife's Nevo Nuvinci (old Vario). I used Aluminum rod soldered into cable ends, primed an painted matt black, through bolted with stainless machine screws. By having the rail below and slightly outboard of the rack's deck, this set up allows for both panniers and trunk bag together, if desired. You can spot my work looking for the bright stainless screws.
20180725_063624.jpg

Yes they are to top part, two tubes running fore and aft that you hang pannier bags from. The plastic clips that hold the bags on, with their weight and the vibration and slight shifting will wear the black paint off the alloy rails, the more weight in the bags and rougher the terrain, the quicker the paint comes off.
I use string, baler twine actually. Noose on one end, truckdriver's #1 knot on the other end. No paint damage. 6 mm tie-wraps would drop the bag with all the weight I put in it. Never had to buy a 50 lb roll; I found a snarl at the side of the road in hay country. Panniers have a strip riveted to the back, no clips.
I think my girly green paint and girl's frame may inhibit thieves. Let all the type A guys have their heart attacks, I'm pedaling on towards the nineties. Carried a 36"x18" 5 shelf unit home 5 miles from Lowes yesterday.

Last edited:
Back