The Obligatory New Guy Post

WVMontani

Region
USA
What's up? WVMontani, here. The WV refers to my home state of West Virginia. The Montani comes from the West Virginia State motto: "Montani Semper Liberi" which is Latin for "Mountaineers are Always Free." Ergo WVMontani basically means "West Virginia Mountaineer."

So now that we have that out of the way, I am new the e-bike world. Actually, I'm pretty new to the bike world period. Except during my teenage years, I never really rode a bike much at all. And now being at the age of encroaching on Senior Citizendom, I elected to buy an E-Trike instead. To wit, an Aipas A8 E-Trike (dual battery version).

I'm going to start out slow then start making longer and longer trips. My ultimate goal is to do the Great Allegheny Passage from Pittsburgh PA to Cumberland MD sometime this fall. Wish me luck!

I'm going to start out slow then start making longer and longer trips. My ultimate goal is to do the Great Allegheny Passage from Pittsburgh PA to Cumberland MD sometime this fall. Wish me luck!
A great ride indeed! I've done it several times and I highly recommend it! Should be no problem with the trike. There are several places to camp, and nice B&B's to choose from along the way.

I'm not sure where you are in WV, but you might take a look at the North Bend Trail:

The western end from Parkersburg heading east to West Union is in good shape but farther east out to Clarksburg is pretty rough.

The paved Western Maryland Rail Trail is also a nice ride:

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and by all means post pics of your rides!

I elected to buy an E-Trike
I wish you luck. Handling a trike like this takes practice. My understanding is that it does not have a differential and only the right wheel is driven by the motor. That means it steers somewhat like a bulldozer that has only one driven track, but with a third wheel out front for steering. It will go left under power differently than right. Also trikes are two-dimensional objects - you don't lean. I recommend that you take it to a large empty parking lot for a half-hour per day for a week, ridding figure-eights of various sizes and speeds. You will start to get the feel. Then do the same exercise on a slight slope. You will get the hang of it. When you do, then it is time to go out on adventures. All the best!

Back