Anti Theft, Guaranteed

Saratoga Dave

Never one to stop thinking great thoughts, I’m plotting out this Spring’s GAP trip... the Great Allegheny Passage trail from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD for those out of the US. I have a too small set of casual panniers, but I got thinking about the ones my wife bought for her Pedego a few years back. Problem solved! Ain’t no self respecting bike thief running away with this rig while I’m looking for the bike or pizza shop out along the GAP.

1614452024182.jpeg

Never one to stop thinking great thoughts, I’m plotting out this Spring’s GAP trip... the Great Allegheny Passage trail from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD for those out of the US. I have a too small set of casual panniers, but I got thinking about the ones my wife bought for her Pedego a few years back. Problem solved! Ain’t no self respecting bike thief running away with this rig while I’m looking for the bike or pizza shop out along the GAP.

View attachment 80182
Maybe you could find a wrap like that for the rest of the bike! Or some old bathroom wallpaper.🤓

View attachment 80182
Ha ha! My wife wanted those same panniers for her Pedego. I was finally able talk her out of it by threatening to make her ride a half mile behind me! She settled on the same model but in tan & green.

FWIW, I've been riding the GAP since 2001 and never had a theft incident. Such occurrences are rare on the trail. The GAP project has been such a boon to all the small towns it passes through that the locals keep an eye out for suspicious behavior. I've actually been questioned twice when loading my bike at trailheads after dark by locals who live nearby. No one wants the success of the trail spoiled by acts of theft or vandalism and there is a conscious effort on the part of the good folks out there to keep it safe. I'll admit, I still lock up when leaving the bike but I have little fear of anything being stolen.

In any case, you'll have a blast riding the GAP! It's arguably the best trail in the northeastern US. It takes me 3 days to get from Cumberland to Pitt. I know people who have done it in two days but there is little time to enjoy the great scenery doing it that way.

Thanks! I‘ve wanted to do this one for some time. My brother rode it last fall and loved the trip.

I’m thinking Pittsburgh to Connellsville, then Rockwood, and Cumberland on day 3. I rode the Erie canal a couple of years ago, this one is the logical next trip.

The whole pannier thing is sort of a joke, but what the hell, who is going to steal that bike and not be noticed? I’m sure it will be an eye catcher out on the trail. And those panniers are actually pretty roomy!

Many years ago, Dave, I bought a nice brand new car. Didn't happen so often for Poland in 1997. For savings, my wife made floor mats from cheap material. I drove that car to Sweden on the maiden trip. When a Swedish partner got into the car, his comment was:
– Is it really a brand new car?
😂

Many years ago, Dave, I bought a nice brand new car. Didn't happen so often for Poland in 1997. For savings, my wife made floor mats from cheap material. I drove that car to Sweden on the maiden trip. When a Swedish partner got into the car, his comment was:
– Is it really a brand new car?
😂
Are you still in the floor mats business? I might bought some too :))))

I know of one guy who wrapped his (non-electric) bike's frame in duct tape (yes, I know, that's really gaffer tape). Who wants to steal a bike where you'll be spending six hours de-gumming the frame? Plus you can't see the brand name.

Last edited:
Thanks! I‘ve wanted to do this one for some time. My brother rode it last fall and loved the trip.

I’m thinking Pittsburgh to Connellsville, then Rockwood, and Cumberland on day 3. I rode the Erie canal a couple of years ago, this one is the logical next trip.

The whole pannier thing is sort of a joke, but what the hell, who is going to steal that bike and not be noticed? I’m sure it will be an eye catcher out on the trail. And those panniers are actually pretty roomy!
Connellsville & Rockwood are the most common stopover points on the trail. It breaks the trip into roughly 50 mile segments. Good campgrounds in both locations and a host of B&B's as well.

A single layer of Gaffer tape is good stuff to use for a thin, durable, paint protection on the pannier rails. It can easily be spruced up with a new application once it starts to fray.
What you call pannier rails - is that the back wheel rack you attach them to?

What you call pannier rails - is that the back wheel rack you attach them to?
Yes they are to top part, two tubes running fore and aft that you hang pannier bags from. The plastic clips that hold the bags on, with their weight and the vibration and slight shifting will wear the black paint off the alloy rails, the more weight in the bags and rougher the terrain, the quicker the paint comes off.

Yes they are to top part, two tubes running fore and aft that you hang pannier bags from. The plastic clips that hold the bags on, with their weight and the vibration and slight shifting will wear the black paint off the alloy rails, the more weight in the bags and rougher the terrain, the quicker the paint comes off.
Cool good tip. Thank you.

A single layer of Gaffer tape is good stuff to use for a thin, durable, paint protection on the pannier rails. It can easily be spruced up with a new application once it starts to fray.
Yes, the tape is indeed a good idea but you can also make "auxiliary" pannier rails from parts available at most home improvement stores.
They are made from pieces of 1/2" aluminum tubing attached to the pannier rails with insulated cable clamps.

P1070445a.jpg P1070096a.jpg P1070449a.jpg P1070450a.jpg

You can dress them up a bit with optional plastic end caps:

P1070447a.jpg

The rubber insulated clamps won't mar the bike finish and the tubing can be replaced after it gets scratched up.
This is particularly useful when the pannier rails on the bike are too large in diameter for the "jaws" on the panniers.
They also provide a bit of clearance so the panniers don't interfere with a rack bag.
Total cost, around $5 at Home Depot.

Back