Alternative tyres for Superdelite - optimised for puncture resistance

@Squaxor I am no expert by any means.

Perhaps look for a true hybrid like Hurricane and Smart Sam. The Hurricane has a relatively flat top surface for reduced on-road roll resistance, but knobbly sides for light off road use. The Smart Sams look to be more weighted for off-road like the Rock Razors.

My RR seem pretty good for the limited road usegive my bike and secure off-road. With the Tannus I run mine at 20psi.

Bare in mind my bike is not a HS so the comments above may be pretty relevant.

The RR that come with the bike are proprietary for R&M from memory.

@Jay Kay Those Hurrican tyres look the most promising for coping with on/off-road. This size is the same as the Moto-X 62-584 (27.5 x 2.40) but with some decent puncture resistance: DD, RaceGuard, E-50.

The latest 2021 catalogue shows these tyres have been updated for e-bikes and have an increased puncture protection.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 10.36.15.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 10.36.15.png
    521.3 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
@Jay Kay Those Hurrican tyres look the most promising for coping with on/off-road. This size is the same as the Moto-X 62-584 (27.5 x 2.40) but with some decent puncture resistance: DD, RaceGuard, E-50.

The latest 2021 catalogue shows these tyres have been updated for e-bikes and have an increased puncture protection.

Sounds like you have found your perfect tires @Squaxor 👍. Alaskan tipped me off on these a while back on another thread (or was than another forum?).

I received an update from Schwalbe today in the NEW Hurricane tyres...

The new Hurricane for 2021 is now 50KM/H approved to European ECE-R75 standard. Compared to the 2020 version being 25KM/H.

Part numbers: 62-584 27.5x2.4 - 11159071

Here is a review I posted of the Hurricanes in January. I now have them on my Riese & Muller Delite Mountain as well as my new Trek Allant +9.9S After riding on them for 9 months, I've stopped looking for any other tire on my ebikes. They are durable, quiet, easy rolling, grippy on corners, braking and good on wet pavement, good on gravel and trails. They are not the highest rated tire for protection but with Tannus Armour, I've had just one flat in over 5,000 miles so far this year.

I received an update from Schwalbe today in the NEW Hurricane tyres...

The new Hurricane for 2021 is now 50KM/H approved to European ECE-R75 standard. Compared to the 2020 version being 25KM/H.

Part numbers: 62-584 27.5x2.4 - 11159071

thx for order info.

Are you Upgrading/changing tubes?

The Hurricane or the Marathon Plus MTB..... I can't make up my mind but am leaning towards the Marathons as Schwalbe say they are their most puncture resistant e-bike MTB tyre. https://e-biketires.com/
Be careful. I put marathon eplus on my bike 50-684 and I regret it. The wheel diameter is much smaller than the moto-X which causes the pedals to strike the ground quite often

Be careful. I put marathon eplus on my bike 50-684 and I regret it. The wheel diameter is much smaller than the moto-X which causes the pedals to strike the ground quite often
The Marathon MTB comes in 57-584 (27.5 x 2.25) which is close to the fitted RR's... which are 2.35... and I ground the pedals with those anyway:rolleyes: But thanks for the tip, I will look into this more...

I'll use my Schwalbe Air Plus tubes 27"+ as they provide added puncture resistance and reduce loss of pressure.
Thanks Squaxor! I just ordered a pair of hurricanes for my SD. Are you going to install yours yourself? If you do, please take a video of how you get that rear wheel off!😬

I cannot remember where I have seen it, but, there is a German guy that takes the wheel of the SD Rohloff off the bike in the last third of a video. I am sure it was on a thread here with the title of the thread relating to wheel removal. Have a search and see, it was not long ago.

Just remember: there are two scenarios for removing a wheel from a Delite/Homage, especially one equipped with Rohloff and belt drive…
  1. In your bike shed which, hopefully, has some way of lifting the ebike (minus heavy stuff) off the ground;
  2. 'Out there' in the heat of the moment (even if it's freezing cold!).
It is difficult to work on such a heavy ebike without some means of lifting it up and restraining it! And that brings us neatly back to the topic of this thread which is the need for the very best of puncture-resistant tyres.
… David

I cannot remember where I have seen it, but, there is a German guy that takes the wheel of the SD Rohloff off the bike in the last third of a video. I am sure it was on a thread here with the title of the thread relating to wheel removal. Have a search and see, it was not long ago.
Here’s a link to that post...

PS. Looks too easy... everyone on here seems to have major issues removing the wheel due to the belt tensioner/wheel/thingy.

Here’s a link to that post...

PS. Looks too easy... everyone on here seems to have major issues removing the wheel due to the belt tensioner/wheel/thingy.
Of course its easy for him since there isn't any belt tensioner visible. Cheater! :)

Click on this and it will start with a clear view of where the tensioner SHOULD be.

Marc

Yeah, I have watched that video. He does his demo on a hard tail charger, not a full suspension bike with a tensioner.
I maybe seeing this all wrong but... he takes the rear wheel off a red Homage Rohloff with belt tensioner at 15.40 mins.

The first wheel removal is a hard tail grey Charger Vario.

Thanks Mike! You are correct, my mistake. It doesn’t really show him manipulating the tensioner. Is it necessary to adjust the tensioner in any way in order to remove the rear wheel in an SD?

Thanks Mike! You are correct, my mistake. It doesn’t really show him manipulating the tensioner. Is it necessary to adjust the tensioner in any way in order to remove the rear wheel in an SD?
No idea about manipulating tensioner. Whole thing makes me nervous. Like you, hoping for a clear video of this action before having a go. I have Tannus Armour waiting to fit to a Load 60 and a Delite... both with that dreaded tensioner 😫

I really wish our saviour Chris Nolte would make a Propel video showing rear wheel removal on an R&M full sus bike. 👍

Back