Alternative rack for Allant+ 8

Heck, I just got one of these and mounted it above the existing rack on my 8. View attachment 105279
Heck, I just got one of these and mounted it above the existing rack on my 8. View attachment 105279
I NEED A PICTURE OF HOW YOU MOUNTED THIS RACK......I HAVEN'T FOUND A SIMPLE SOLUTION YET......DO YOU HAVE PICTURES?
HOW DID YOU MOUNT THIS ON YOUR ALLANT 8? I COULD SURE APPRECIATE PHOTOS OF YOUR MOUNTING SYSTEM ON YOUR BIKE!!!!

I NEED A PICTURE OF HOW YOU MOUNTED THIS RACK......I HAVEN'T FOUND A SIMPLE SOLUTION YET......DO YOU HAVE PICTURES?

HOW DID YOU MOUNT THIS ON YOUR ALLANT 8? I COULD SURE APPRECIATE PHOTOS OF YOUR MOUNTING SYSTEM ON YOUR BIKE!!!!
Just logged in after an absence... if you go for the rack a couple of us fitted, you can see pics for that at the start of the thread. Allows a much improved carrying capacity too.

After looking at other's solutions and trying to think up a few of my own, I gave up and just bought this. https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/136-MTX-BEAMRACK-(E-TYPE)

IMG_4364.jpeg
IMG_4360.jpeg

Last edited:
After looking at other's solutions and trying to think up a few of my own, I gave up and just bought this. View attachment 163995View attachment 163996
So what is your rack? I just bought an 8s via Trek’s employee/family purchase program designed to reduce inventories. In addition to figuring out the COBI controller I am researching rear rack solutions that will accommodate my myriad MIK adapted carriers.
I just ordered an MIK System Deck from Giant with intentions of attaching it to the 8s pannier tubes.

I use the racks as is and use a front bag. works well and does not get in the way getting on and off the bike.
IMG_2436.jpeg

So what is your rack? I just bought an 8s via Trek’s employee/family purchase program designed to reduce inventories. In addition to figuring out the COBI controller I am researching rear rack solutions that will accommodate my myriad MIK adapted carriers.
I just ordered an MIK System Deck from Giant with intentions of attaching it to the 8s pannier tubes.
Sorry, I just edited the post with a link to the rack.

Why not just get a rack from a 7 and put it on the 8? That rack on the 8,9 makes no sense to me - can't put anything on top.

Why not just get a rack from a 7 and put it on the 8? That rack on the 8,9 makes no sense to me - can't put anything on top.
#offthewall is correct. Although the frame is identical, Trek made the parts nearly non-swappable. In theory, they felt panniers-only makes it a better commuter bike.

But the rack is not nearly as ridiculous as the COBI controller. I am seriously considering swapping to the Bosch Aftermarket Kiox.

It pains me to have to pay so much to fix Trek’s componentry issues.

Last edited:
#offthewall is correct. Although the frame is identical, Trek made the parts nearly non-swappable. In theory, they felt panniers-only makes it a better commuter bike.

But the rack is not nearly as ridiculous as the COBI controller. I am seriously considering swapping to the Bosch Aftermarket Kiox 330.

It pains me to have to pay so much to fix Trek’s componentry issues.
Maybe I’m not as picky (well I really am 🤣 ) but the only thing I don’t like about the Cobi.bike system on the Allant+ 8S is the junk phone mount.

Mine broke a couple of weeks in. I removed the mount, keeping the display and added a QuadLock Out Front mount for my iPhone. Perfect now.

Attachments

• IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2914.jpeg
    IMG_2914.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 125
I copied retiredNH’s solution. The oversized washers are needed to compress the hanger strap around the pannier rack pipes.
View attachment 164362
Is that the “Giant MIK compatible rack”? Could you tell me if the vertical mounting tabs line up on center with the Trek’s rack or are they slightly inboard or outboard? Thinking of an alternate mounting system. Thx

Is that the “Giant MIK compatible rack”? Could you tell me if the vertical mounting tabs line up on center with the Trek’s rack or are they slightly inboard or outboard? Thinking of an alternate mounting system. Thx
The Trek rack is 4 1/2” outside width, the Giant MIK rack is 4 3/4” It also has those 2 nubbies on the inside I thought I could use but didn’t. Per pix I mounted just ahead of the nubbies.

Please share your mounting solution. Interesting to see.
IMG_0115.jpegIMG_0117.jpegIMG_0118.jpegIMG_0120.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe I’m not as picky (well I really am 🤣 ) but the only thing I don’t like about the Cobi.bike system on the Allant+ 8S is the junk phone mount.

Mine broke a couple of weeks in. I removed the mount, keeping the display and added a QuadLock Out Front mount for my iPhone. Perfect now.
Concur on the junk Smartphone Hub mount. I strap my phone with rubber bands. The first thing the Trek tech who built my bike advised me about the bike was don’t put the phone in the holder! It will fall out and break. A confidence building product endorsement that was.

I am changing to the Bosch Kiox System 2 controller. Talked to 800# Trek Tech Support today. He sent me a detailed list of components needed — basically just the controller and its mounting. Cable and thumb control are the same.

In addition to the hokey mounting I don’t like not being able to see mileage without delving into the COBI app. I have been riding without my phone but then later have to sync back to the app to see odometer. Klutzy.

I copied retiredNH’s solution. The oversized washers are needed to compress the hanger strap around the pannier rack pipes.
View attachment 164362
Nice...my MIK top plate arrived today, and I will be doing the same this week. I will upload pictures when I am done. I got rid of the Cobi Smartphone Hub when I purchased the 8s in March, and replaced it with the Kiox aftermarket kit. It works great, and to be honest, this is the display that Trek should have offered on this bike in the first place. Silly rack, useless Cobi app..........

Nice...my MIK top plate arrived today, and I will be doing the same this week. I will upload pictures when I am done. I got rid of the Cobi Smartphone Hub when I purchased the 8s in March, and replaced it with the Kiox aftermarket kit. It works great, and to be honest, this is the display that Trek should have offered on this bike in the first place. Silly rack, useless Cobi app..........
A last piece of componentry swap would be a suspended front fork akin to the 7s. My 7s will continue to be my #1 bike considering all of the mods I have done to it including a Range Boost battery. When I bought the 7s I decided against the 8 or 9 exclusively because of the lack of suspension and silly rear rack. I bought the 8s last week via the Trek employee discount (brother) and it will home in AZ and my 7s in Wisconsin.

The Trek rack is 4 1/2” outside width, the Giant MIK rack is 4 3/4” It also has those 2 nubbies on the inside I thought I could use but didn’t. Per pix I mounted just ahead of the nubbies.

Please share your mounting solution. Interesting to see.
View attachment 164441View attachment 164440View attachment 164439View attachment 164442
@Sparky731 This is what I wound up doing. I used the same Giant MIK rack and mounted it with 1/2 of these Billet Aluminum P-Clamps. I have Topeak MTX/RX bags, so I then mounted Topeak's platform on that. Pretty slick looking IMO. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4472.jpeg
    IMG_4472.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_4473.jpeg
    IMG_4473.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4486.jpeg
    IMG_4486.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4489.jpeg
    IMG_4489.jpeg