Allant 9.9 Advice

shallcroft

Hello everyone

I'm looking at getting a Allant 9.9. I have been looking through the forums and greatly appreciate your comments.

I have a couple of questions. I am 55, 5'11 with a bad neck - difficulty in raising head. I'm moving from a road bike because I can't cope with the posture. Is the Allant upright? There are no bikes in showrooms here in the UK so I can't try sizes. Looking at a Large but would a Medium be more upright?

Can you pedal the bike without battery power?

Anyone having long term issues / regrets? Its a very expensive bike and don't want to make a mistake.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

I test rode the 9.9 but ended up buying the 8s because the red is awesome. Here in Seattle everything is gray... Because of the big tires over the skinnies on my road bike I didn't feel the carbon fiber frame made any difference in ride. Except for a step down in components the bikes are basically the same: frame, motor, tires, fenders etc.

I was in the same situation over 30 years of road bike riding and now having issues with my neck. The upright position of this bike has helped me tremendously. But I do still ride like I'm on my road bike, keep a high cadence above 100 to 120 RPM and get down like I'm in the drops when I'm really going. Riding with cars is a little more comfortable as I can keep up around the city.

Yes, works like a normal bike with the motor off except mine weighs 100lbs with the extended battery and panniers full of extras like my DSLR. But on the flats or slight incline I can still do 15-20mph. I usually ride at least half of my rides with the motor off. But the hills are so much fun now!

My biggest issue is battery life is no where near 100 mile range. I get the hills, weight, etc make a difference. We do have a lot of hills here some very steep. But after 50-60 mile rides with the motor off half it will use 50% or more of TWO batteries. Which equates to a total distance of 60 miles?

I also hate the app. Bosch just took it over so hopefully they will remove music and phone calls and give you some useful information like exactly how the batteries are doing.

But other than my two gripes I love the bike. I got mine in February and have over a 1,000 miles on it. I kept my Trek Madone but I may never ride it again.

I test rode the 9.9 but ended up buying the 8s because the red is awesome. Here in Seattle everything is gray... Because of the big tires over the skinnies on my road bike I didn't feel the carbon fiber frame made any difference in ride. Except for a step down in components the bikes are basically the same: frame, motor, tires, fenders etc.

I was in the same situation over 30 years of road bike riding and now having issues with my neck. The upright position of this bike has helped me tremendously. But I do still ride like I'm on my road bike, keep a high cadence above 100 to 120 RPM and get down like I'm in the drops when I'm really going. Riding with cars is a little more comfortable as I can keep up around the city.

Yes, works like a normal bike with the motor off except mine weighs 100lbs with the extended battery and panniers full of extras like my DSLR. But on the flats or slight incline I can still do 15-20mph. I usually ride at least half of my rides with the motor off. But the hills are so much fun now!

My biggest issue is battery life is no where near 100 mile range. I get the hills, weight, etc make a difference. We do have a lot of hills here some very steep. But after 50-60 mile rides with the motor off half it will use 50% or more of TWO batteries. Which equates to a total distance of 60 miles?

I also hate the app. Bosch just took it over so hopefully they will remove music and phone calls and give you some useful information like exactly how the batteries are doing.

But other than my two gripes I love the bike. I got mine in February and have over a 1,000 miles on it. I kept my Trek Madone but I may never ride it again.
Thanks so much - very interesting. I used to come to Seattle on business - Loved it. I'll have a look at the 8. Happy cycling.

Thanks so much - very interesting. I used to come to Seattle on business - Loved it. I'll have a look at the 8. Happy cycling.
My wife and I were in the UK for three weeks a year ago. We had a fantastic time and the weather was great. Even rented a couple bikes in London...

Shallcroft, I have had my Allant 9.9S since December. Previous to that, I had a Trek SuperCommuter 8+, the forerunner of the 9.9 for three years. Love, Love, Love the 9.9. It has a pretty upright position, but not as much as a city bike (used to ride my Dutch bike every day in Amsterdam to the office). So fun to ride, so secure with the big tires, I call it the SUV of bikes. Rides great on pavement, gravel tracks, rolls over everything.

Not sure about the medium or large. I am 5'10 inches and have the large. I did not try the medium, but when I bought the SuperCommuter, the medium felt too small for me. To crunched up near the handlebars. Even in the large you will not feel really stretched out in my opinion.

You can pedal without battery power, it is just a bit more difficult, but it also is a heavy bike (51 lbs). So with both those factors, it makes it not fun to ride without power. We usually say that the Eco mode cancels out the weight/motor issues.

We do a lot of 30 miles hilly rides in New Jersey, with occasional 50+ mile rides in flatter country like Florida. The range is probably 40 miles hilly, 60 miles flat.

My wife still has the SuperCommuter, and we often take lunch. Do 15 or 20 miles, have a nice picnic lunch, and then ride back. Or ride to a brewery, stop for a beer, and ride back.

I have also reduced our auto count by one. For transport, I will have my Allant and a classic convertible. Leave my wife to drive the SUV. LOL.

ZERO Regrets on the Trek E-Bikes. Many of us with Allant 9.9's seem to be having problems with rear hub breaking down. That is a Shimano issue, and I am sure will be fixed. Overall the bike is tremendous.

Hope this helps. About 550 miles on the Allant 9.9 and about 1800 miles on the SuperCommuter.

Last edited:
Shallcroft, I have had my Allant 9.9S since December. Previous to that, I had a Trek SuperCommuter 8+, the forerunner of the 9.9 for three years. Love, Love, Love the 9.9. It has a pretty upright position, but not as much as a city bike (used to ride my Dutch bike every day in Amsterdam to the office). So fun to ride, so secure with the big tires, I call it the SUV of bikes. Rides great on pavement, gravel tracks, rolls

Not sure about the medium or large. I am 5'10 inches and have the large. I did not try the medium, but when I bought the SuperCommuter, the medium felt too small for me. To crunched up near the handlebars. Even in the large you will not feel really stretched out in my opinion.

You can pedal without battery power, it is just a bit more difficult, but it also is a heavy bike (51 lbs). So with both those factors, it makes it not fun to ride without power. We usually say that the Eco mode cancels out the weight/motor issues.

We do a lot of 30 miles hilly rides in New Jersey, with occasional 50+ mile rides in flatter country like Florida. The range is probably 40 miles hilly, 60 miles flat.

My wife still has the SuperCommuter, and we often take lunch. Do 15 or 20 miles, have a nice picnic lunch, and then ride back. Or ride to a brewery, stop for a beer, and ride back.

I have also reduced our auto count by one. For transport, I will have my Allant and a classic convertible. Leave my wife to drive the SUV. LOL.

ZERO Regrets on the Trek E-Bikes. Many of us with Allant 9.9's seem to be having problems with rear hub breaking down. That is a Shimano issue, and I am sure will be fixed. Overall the bike is tremendous.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Rob - that all sounds positive. Really glad you are enjoying it. I guess a testament is that Trek have pretty much sold out of all stock this year. I was hoping for a better range but I guess i can always get a second battery. Kind Regards and happy cycling.

Agree app is clunky. Alaskan put on a different controller. I do not usually have as much weight on the bike, and only have the single power tube.

...I'm looking at getting a Allant 9.9...I am 55, 5'11 with a bad neck - difficulty in raising head. I'm moving from a road bike because I can't cope with the posture. Is the Allant upright?...

The Allant is probably more upright than a roadbike but it is less upright than some of the e-bikes I have had (such as my Haibike for example). I guess what concerns me the most about the 9.9 relative to your bad neck is that you cannot change the stem or at least not very easily because of the proprietary cable guider system. I'd really recommend that you try the bike first particularly if you are set on the 9.9. As someone suggested perhaps the 8 gives you more room to adjust the reach and bar height. Also considering some bikes with more of a mountain bike geometry might be an option.

I forgot to mention about the size. Like Rob, I'm 5'10" and got the large. Definitely would not get the medium, in fact, I have been thinking about a handlebar extension which isn't so much the size but how I ride. I also hardly drive my car. It's a 93 Pathfinder that still runs great when I need it...

I did see Alaskan got the Nyon. I checked into that as well. Here I was quoted $250 but they have to install it. My concern is that I may want to use my iPhone but you can't use both controllers nor swap them out. Since software is easy to update I am hoping Bosch puts some work into the app. I also got a new iPhone so I use my old iPhone 6 as the display so I'm not quite as worried should something happen to it. My new phone sits in the bag.

What Over50 just said about not being able to adjust the stem was another reason for me not to get the 9.9 - I like to be able to customize.

Well I am no flyweight either at 190 lbs (13.5 stone). And I likely do not carry so much in my panniers on my bike rides. ;)

I am 6'1' 205 lbs and tun 70 this year. I love the Allant+9.9s and am completely comfortable on the large frame. Adding a Kinekt suspension seat post and Baramind shock absorbing handlebars makes this bike nearly as compliant and comfortable to ride longer distances as my full suspension Riese & Muller.

Many of us have had problems with the rear hub failing. There are several threads in the Trek section of this forum, Use the search function to learn more. Trek is good about standing behind the bikes but there have been issues and I suspect a recall for a replacement hub is in the not too distant future.

If you customarily go on rides longer than 35 or 40 miles, live in a hilly part of the world, or just like to use the bike's power to go at speeds in the mid 20s on a regular basis, you should go for the range booster as it is almost impossible to get the needed parts and fit one out after you have taken delivery of the bike. I did just that but the the various parts, mounts, cables, etc. have to be ordered individually and Trek did not make it easy for the local Trek store to order them. It definitely detracts from the aesthetics of the bike but adds much to the utility in return. Not dealing with range anxiety is a huge plus.

Also I had Trek install the Sram Axis wireless derailleur kit which definitely kicked the drive train up several notches. It is expensive, $1,000 but is truly an amazingly nice addition to the bike. This is something several others on this forum have done and everyone who has done so raves about the improvement.

It is such a cool bike! Worth working through the limitations and improving if you can affort it.

Me, my 2 cents, I can almost parallel Alaskan, but nonetheless......having had 2 Super Commuter 8's, and now the Allant 9.9, I'd give it up in a heartbeat and consider something else.
Alaskan said if you got the bucks, get the Reese & Mueller Delight.
Well, I'm thinking about it, as I'm a little frustrated.
I truly believe that Trek is a #1 top notch company, but also I think they did not think this model out and released it too early.
Again, my opinion.
I'd say if you can, research the daylights before you pull the trigger.
I have regerets.
I may be selling mine, so hold your wallet.
My only issue is IF I go the Reese & Mueller route, I have to trave to Brookly to get service. Not a fun thought.

Me, my 2 cents, I can almost parallel Alaskan, but nonetheless......having had 2 Super Commuter 8's, and now the Allant 9.9, I'd give it up in a heartbeat and consider something else.
Alaskan said if you got the bucks, get the Reese & Mueller Delight.
Well, I'm thinking about it, as I'm a little frustrated.
I truly believe that Trek is a #1 top notch company, but also I think they did not think this model out and released it too early.
Again, my opinion.
I'd say if you can, research the daylights before you pull the trigger.
I have regerets.
I may be selling mine, so hold your wallet.
My only issue is IF I go the Reese & Mueller route, I have to trave to Brookly to get service. Not a fun thought.
Reese and Mueller not an option for me as I live daily remote to dealers. I'm keen to hear why you'd sell your 9.9? Despite some issues listed on this forum most people seem pretty happy. I'm intrigued.

Hello everyone

I'm looking at getting a Allant 9.9. I have been looking through the forums and greatly appreciate your comments.

I have a couple of questions. I am 55, 5'11 with a bad neck - difficulty in raising head. I'm moving from a road bike because I can't cope with the posture. Is the Allant upright? There are no bikes in showrooms here in the UK so I can't try sizes. Looking at a Large but would a Medium be more upright?

Can you pedal the bike without battery power?

Anyone having long term issues / regrets? Its a very expensive bike and don't want to make a mistake.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

From the question "can you pedal without battery" I can see that you are pretty new to ebikes. Don't rush. I believe in UK you are limited to 15mph right ?

9.9 is a very overpriced offering, does not have suspension, still heavy. If you happen to like Allant very much then go for 8s not 9.9 with the same motor/battery and geometry your experience will be near identical.

That being said, I would highly suggest you to test ride bikes with different mid drives including bosch, brose, yamaha etc. first. You have many options. You can find a bike that you will like as much for a fraction of the price tag of a 9.9.

There are many upright offerings, you will not have problems in finding a comfortable geometry.

If you have neck pain think about bikes with suspension. There are bikes with the same motor/battery combo and similar weight on top of full suspension. Makes a very big difference. With the right tires they are just as efficient since ebikes are heavy (at least allant that you are looking into).

I am 6'1' 205 lbs and tun 70 this year. I love the Allant+9.9s and am completely comfortable on the large frame. Adding a Kinekt suspension seat post and Baramind shock absorbing handlebars makes this bike nearly as compliant and comfortable to ride longer distances as my full suspension Riese & Muller.

Many of us have had problems with the rear hub failing. There are several threads in the Trek section of this forum, Use the search function to learn more. Trek is good about standing behind the bikes but there have been issues and I suspect a recall for a replacement hub is in the not too distant future.

If you customarily go on rides longer than 35 or 40 miles, live in a hilly part of the world, or just like to use the bike's power to go at speeds in the mid 20s on a regular basis, you should go for the range booster as it is almost impossible to get the needed parts and fit one out after you have taken delivery of the bike. I did just that but the the various parts, mounts, cables, etc. have to be ordered individually and Trek did not make it easy for the local Trek store to order them. It definitely detracts from the aesthetics of the bike but adds much to the utility in return. Not dealing with range anxiety is a huge plus.

Also I had Trek install the Sram Axis wireless derailleur kit which definitely kicked the drive train up several notches. It is expensive, $1,000 but is truly an amazingly nice addition to the bike. This is something several others on this forum have done and everyone who has done so raves about the improvement.

It is such a cool bike! Worth working through the limitations and improving if you can affort it.
Alaskan - I've followed you posts with interest. The rear hub issue does worry me. In the UK the 9.9 has a Shimano Deore XT, 32h, centerlock disc, 12mm thru-axle. Not sure if that's the same for you?
I live on the coast and would like a Carbon bike with good components so I'm more inclined to the 9.9 than the 8. I am surprised its not easy to adjust the stem though.
Battery range is worrying as the extender does spoil the look of the bike and is bloody expensive.

Thanks for your thoughts and views.

From the question "can you pedal without battery" I can see that you are pretty new to ebikes. Don't rush. I believe in UK you are limited to 15mph right ?

9.9 is a very overpriced offering, does not have suspension, still heavy. If you happen to like Allant very much then go for 8s not 9.9 with the same motor/battery and geometry your experience will be near identical.

That being said, I would highly suggest you to test ride bikes with different mid drives including bosch, brose, yamaha etc. first. You have many options. You can find a bike that you will like as much for a fraction of the price tag of a 9.9.

There are many upright offerings, you will not have problems in finding a comfortable geometry.

If you have neck pain think about bikes with suspension. There are bikes with the same motor/battery combo and similar weight on top of full suspension. Makes a very big difference. With the right tires they are just as efficient since ebikes are heavy (at least allant that you are looking into).
Jonny - thanks. You are correct, this will be my first bike. Replacing a road bike - i"m keen to still do long day outs. I am really looking around and keen to take brand recommendations. This, for me will be a big expense so I'm keen to get it right. Bottom line - high quality components with good battery life (removable batteries required as I live in an apartment)

Thanks for your wise words and happy to take any recommendations

Jonny - thanks. You are correct, this will be my first bike. Replacing a road bike - i"m keen to still do long day outs. I am really looking around and keen to take brand recommendations. This, for me will be a big expense so I'm keen to get it right. Bottom line - high quality components with good battery life (removable batteries required as I live in an apartment)

Thanks for your wise words and happy to take any recommendations

If you can share us your options in terms of brands we can probably come up with a list that you may like, want to try.

Have you considered Vado SL 5.0 from specialized ? That would be a great bike imo for someone who is coming from a road biking background who wants to have a nimble bike with a comfortable geometry that can be ridden without assist nicely. It has an upright hybrid geometry while being not too upright, very light for an ebike so it will have much better range with the same capacity battery, very nice touches such as integrated stem suspension. Although it comes with 320wh which should be plenty for 15mph limit and given how light the bike is, you can buy an extension battery and have very good range. It is also much easier to carry it in and out of an apartment.

For range, the things to consider are riding speed, grades, riding position on top of battery capacity and the motor. For example, you can expect any ebike with the same 625wh battery + bosch motor and similar riding position to have almost identical range. Still there are few significantly lighter options that should give you a similar range with much smaller batteries like the Vado SL I mentioned above.

On a side note: Since you are coming from a road bike you may have to adjust your expectations for carbon when it comes to heavy ebikes. Carbon makes a difference for road bikes ,which are both light and have thin tires , because of the added stiffness + weight savings of 0.5-1lbs (and maybe slight increase in comfort but wide tires with lower pressure brings way more comfort than a carbon frame). For an ebike like allant that weights over 52lbs having 2.4" tires carbon probably does not make any significant difference. I regularly ride with friends who all have carbon road bikes we do swap to see how we feel and unfortunately my conclusion on their and my own experience is that a heavy ebike like allant will not feel as nimble when you are riding without support due to wide tires + weight.

I am surprised its not easy to adjust the stem though.

The 9.9 has a custom stem built for a cleaner look as the cables are routed through the stem to the handlebars. They only make one stem.

The 8 series and 7 series have a normal stems so you can replace to adjust length, angles, etc. to your preference.

I would personally go ride both to judge if you think the carbon worth it. I happen to agree with others that suggested the 8s is the better value. However, the 9.9 does come with a larger battery (625 vs 500) option, is a 12-speed which you may prefer, has a cleaner look, and may be the best looking e-bike on the market.

I also agree you may want to consider the new Specialized Vado 5.0SL (if available in UK). While the battery is much smaller, it is MUCH lighter and if you are fit, the battery may not matter. Plus, the expandable battery doesn't ruin the look since it fits like a water bottle.

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 6.33.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 6.32.54 AM.png

The 9.9 has a custom stem built for a cleaner look as the cables are routed through the stem to the handlebars. They only make one stem.

The 8 series and 7 series have a normal stems so you can replace to adjust length, angles, etc. to your preference.

I would personally go ride both to judge if you think the carbon worth it. I happen to agree with others that suggested the 8s is the better value. However, the 9.9 does come with a larger battery (625 vs 500) option, is a 12-speed which you may prefer, has a cleaner look, and may be the best looking e-bike on the market.

I also agree you may want to consider the new Specialized Vado 5.0SL (if available in UK). While the battery is much smaller, it is MUCH lighter and if you are fit, the battery may not matter. Plus, the expandable battery doesn't ruin the look since it fits like a water bottle.

View attachment 54258 View attachment 54259
I have the Allant+8S, it does have the 625 Watt battery so the range is good. As I have an XLframe (6'4") it is a bit heavy when I factor in the abus lock, panniers and full water bottle. 74 lbs before I visit my local brewery and load up with a case of beer for my wife and I. Love, Love the bike. I have not had the various issues that seem to plague many here with the 9 series. Maybe the one step down on the gearing is a good thing in this case. I must admit the carbon bike looks cleaner with the internal wires. I would recommend test riding both and making your own decision. I ride amid of flats and hills at about a 50/50 ratio using all 4 power levels. The eco mode allows me to almost keep up road bikers on the flats , I am no where near as fit as they are and upright I am a big ass windsail. Really feel the drag over 20 mph. Having said that I do get to almost 40 mph down hill. Up the hills, I have no problem passing the road bikers who flat out embarrassed me on the flats. The bike is a blast and no way would I go as far without the assistance. When I keep mostly to Eco, I have no problem getting 60 miles on my rides with battery to spare. If I stick to the hills and higher levels of assist, I can easily cut the range down to 40 miles on a charge. Still impressive as my round trip commute is 40 miles.

Back