Allant 7

I have the Thule Easy Fold rack as well. I haven’t had any problems yet. It seems pretty solid to me. I can’t help but wonder if the people who experienced the problem were pushing the weight limit for the rack. I have only used it with the one Allant. If someone was putting two of them or some of the heavier fat bikes, I can see that it could be a problem. I do take it pretty slow over the speed bumps. Mine is on a Nissan Altima with the 1 1/4 hitch. I bought the Thule to replace a Saris Freedom 2 because I couldn’t see lifting a bike this heavy around the obstacles of that rack. I was expecting to use the ramp to load the new bike, but I found that I can just lift the front wheel onto the platform, roll it forward till the back wheel reaches the platform, lift the back wheel onto the rack and roll it forward till it’s in position to be locked down. If it was on a taller vehicle like an SUV, I’m sure I’d need the ramp. Probably the longer one that Thule sells separately. It’s also much easier to mount and dismount the rack to the hitch than was the case with the Saris. I can’t imagine a better designed rack for my purpose.
Thanks! I am much more optimistic now about that Thule easy fold rack. I agree, often user error causes the reported issues.
Thanks again!

Thule is good, but Kuat is ideal as well. Vastly the most popular rack seen at trailheads where I live in Wisconsin and Arizona. Quick, easy and very secure mounting.

BTW, I added a light bar and license plate extension for most trips. I feel safer knowing my lights are clearly visible to the vehicle behind me. The good news is several carriers are beginning to emerge with built-in lights.

Just passed 3,700 miles on my 1yr old Allant+ 7s. So much fun.

Per mechanics, I just (3,400 miles) replaced the cassette. Trek did the work and confirmed the ebike chain shows no stretch — even though I beat the heck out of the drive train.

@ 1,200mi I replaced the chain, cassette and derailleur. All parts worn out. Trek’s ebike chain is not standard equipment on the 7 or 7s, but it is a very strong chain in comparison. I upgraded the derailleur as well.

I am past 70 and a very aggressive rider. When with my wife and/or riding group I ride at pack speed. When solo, I ride flat-out @ 28 whenever I can. I love the brakes and quick speed-recovery of Turbo, so stop-starts for pedestrians, traffic, etc. are no problem. I also shift a lot.

Turbo is all I ride in because it is maximum fun. I paid for it, why not use it? (I ride in Tour when leading our bike group to best control pace.)

I added the Range Boost battery and can get ~55 miles on a full charge. 1,125 watts. I also swapped the 500 RIB with the 625 watt. This coincides with Bosch’s published estimates. I can also get a crazy 226 miles on ECO.

The Schwable tires are fantastic. Could not wear them out, although I changed them (3,300 mi) for GravelKings and went tubeless because I was getting too many punctures.

I added a non-adjustable stem riser given I knew I would never adjust it.

Congrats and lucky you to score the 7. Fun!

5EA22DE0-CAB7-44BE-AF29-7D7E13259F44.jpeg58B8A737-0CC5-4D7A-B74D-188B236CCCAE.jpeg2AB8A1FD-CF51-42BA-8118-FEB48EF3C5C6.jpeg

Thule is good, but Kuat is ideal as well. Vastly the most popular rack seen at trailheads where I live in Wisconsin and Arizona. Quick, easy and very secure mounting.

BTW, I added a light bar and license plate extension for most trips. I feel safer knowing my lights are clearly visible to the vehicle behind me. The good news is several carriers are beginning to emerge with built-in lights.

Just passed 3,700 miles on my 1yr old Allant+ 7s. So much fun.

Per mechanics, I just (3,400 miles) replaced the cassette. Trek did the work and confirmed the ebike chain shows no stretch — even though I beat the heck out of the drive train.

@ 1,200mi I replaced the chain, cassette and derailleur. All parts worn out. Trek’s ebike chain is not standard equipment on the 7 or 7s, but it is a very strong chain in comparison. I upgraded the derailleur as well.

I am past 70 and a very aggressive rider. When with my wife and/or riding group I ride at pack speed. When solo, I ride flat-out @ 28 whenever I can. I love the brakes and quick speed-recovery of Turbo, so stop-starts for pedestrians, traffic, etc. are no problem. I also shift a lot.

Turbo is all I ride in because it is maximum fun. I paid for it, why not use it? (I ride in Tour when leading our bike group to best control pace.)

I added the Range Boost battery and can get ~55 miles on a full charge. 1,125 watts. I also swapped the 500 RIB with the 625 watt. This coincides with Bosch’s published estimates. I can also get a crazy 226 miles on ECO.

The Schwable tires are fantastic. Could not wear them out, although I changed them (3,300 mi) for GravelKings and went tubeless because I was getting too many punctures.

I added a non-adjustable stem riser given I knew I would never adjust it.

Congrats and lucky you to score the 7. Fun!

View attachment 124454View attachment 124455View attachment 124456
Hi,
Thanks for your very useful information..most appreciated! I notice in your pics that a rack support arm goes over the wheels…does that impact the bike fenders? Or can u place that support arm away from the fenders?
That range boost battery is $1400.00 Canadian where I live. I am curious if and how much it would cost to replace the standard 500 v battery with that 625 v one. Having extra range can never be a problem.
Max speed, by law, here is 20 mph…sadly! At 6’3 and 225 pounds, I just hope that Allant 7 will get me up fairly steep hills at over 16 kph (10 mph).
Thanks again!

Hi,
Thanks for your very useful information..most appreciated! I notice in your pics that a rack support arm goes over the wheels…does that impact the bike fenders? Or can u place that support arm away from the fenders?
That range boost battery is $1400.00 Canadian where I live. I am curious if and how much it would cost to replace the standard 500 v battery with that 625 v one. Having extra range can never be a problem.
Max speed, by law, here is 20 mph…sadly! At 6’3 and 225 pounds, I just hope that Allant 7 will get me up fairly steep hills at over 16 kph (10 mph).
Thanks again!
Per the car carrier support arm — just place it next to the front edge of the fender. Clamps well. Never a problem. A tip given to me: when you clamp down on the front wheel, turn the front suspension dial to the “locked” position to minimize any extra play.

Your CX motor has plenty of guts to carry you up any hill. Not to worry.

Also, FYI, the 625 RIB was about the same price as the Range Boost. If you go that route make sure your dealer includes the “TREK” cover and a screws and bolts kit. Can’t have too much lithium.

Just a comment on batteries, on flats we ride mostly in ECO then use TOUR and occasional SPORT on hills. On a full charge we've not come close to running out of juice even on a 30 - 35 mile ride. On my Rail which has a 625 battery same thing, but on that it gets lots of TOUR and occasional EMTB on nasty hills. Still plenty of battery left. Doubt my butt will last long as the battery on either bike. Think you'll be surprised how long they last.

Just a comment on batteries, on flats we ride mostly in ECO then use TOUR and occasional SPORT on hills. On a full charge we've not come close to running out of juice even on a 30 - 35 mile ride. On my Rail which has a 625 battery same thing, but on that it gets lots of TOUR and occasional EMTB on nasty hills. Still plenty of battery left. Doubt my butt will last long as the battery on either bike. Think you'll be surprised how long they last.
Thank you! I really appreciate your optimism!! Sounds really good to get that mileage. I occasionally have rode from 50 to 60 km (31 to 37 miles) on my current NCM rear hub motor ebike (48V, 17 amp, 750W) using eco type mode most of the time except when climbing hills, including one particular steep (.6 mile), when I use max assist. Great to know that when I receive my Allant 7 (end of July, beginning of August) I likely will surpass that mileage range. I know that the Allant 7 comes with a 500w battery, but maybe one day I will go for that range extended battery (about $1400.00 Canadian!). Having said that, I am decades away from my former hockey playing days (great shape then) and due to aging and respiratory issues, I refuse to entertain delusional thoughts about returning anywhere close to that level! And, as you mentioned, certain body parts start causing significant discomfort after too many miles!

I am still trying to get info on how the Allant’s fenders will do with a 1UP rack. That 1UP rack looks fantastic, aluminum, only 27 pounds, great reviews, compact, made on Wisconsin, etc. As long as I can use without damaging my fenders. I believe the Allant has plastic fenders and one local bike shop mechanic said they should pop back into shape once the 1UP bracket is released. Skeptical about that. Seems to me plastic could easily crack. I look forward to hearing comments about that.
I am using a 1.25 inch hitch on my Civic sedan so that limits my choices regarding the heavier duty 1 UP racks. Their basic rack apparently supports 50 pounds per bike. From the Trek site, the Allant 7 weighs about 56 pounds (XL frame). So, removing the approximate 7 pound battery puts me just under that 50 pound limit.
I believe there is some leeway there due to liability issues. In other words, perhaps a 55 to 60 pound bike might be supported…but that would negate any warranty issues.
Thanks again!

Back