Allant+7 thoughts/review

I'm about 3 weeks in with an Allant 7 low step. Initially ordered an Allant 8 with stagger frame. Changed my mind due to 1) stagger frame is not much different than the regular frame, I really like the low step, makes the bike a lot easier to use (I'm 68, 235 lbs.) and, 2) the rack on the 8 is, in my opinion, ridiculous. I ordered a regular rack for it , I want to use a trunk bag, not panniers, and Trek discovered it can't work, you cannot change out the 8's rack set up. I also had a different stem put on the 7, maximum height and rake angle. It helps, but I'd like an even higher, closer one.
So far, love the bike. Hills are no longer dreaded, longer and more enjoyable rides are the result.
I'm looking at the Allant+ 7S Stagger. They have it in stock. They don't have a low step 7 like yours in stock. Only certain models they can get quick from Trek or have in store. Yeah I noticed the rack on the 8's is useless if you want to set a trunk bag on it.

I'm about 3 weeks in with an Allant 7 low step. Initially ordered an Allant 8 with stagger frame. Changed my mind due to 1) stagger frame is not much different than the regular frame, I really like the low step, makes the bike a lot easier to use (I'm 68, 235 lbs.) and, 2) the rack on the 8 is, in my opinion, ridiculous. I ordered a regular rack for it , I want to use a trunk bag, not panniers, and Trek discovered it can't work, you cannot change out the 8's rack set up. I also had a different stem put on the 7, maximum height and rake angle. It helps, but I'd like an even higher, closer one.
So far, love the bike. Hills are no longer dreaded, longer and more enjoyable rides are the result.
Yeah, I don’t get Trek’s attitude about the Allant 8 rack. The idea that the fender sits higher than the rack makes no sense to me. The Racktime rack on my Allant+7 is great and I just don’t get why Trek didn’t just do the same rack on all their Allant models. Their design team messed up IMHO.

I just noticed the 7 handle bar looks slightly lower than the 7S if you look at pics on trek website but your 7S looks different. Did you change your stem? Is it just a matter of how many spacers? View attachment 64316I just looked at my old road bike. Looks like same type. I remember having them flip it before I took it home but never changed anything on it since. If I go look at them I might ask about an adjustable one.
No, stem/handlebars are stock.

The rack may seem ridiculous to you, but I love it. So much more appealing to me than a normal rack. And you can use a rack pack very easily, with a minor modification. I store my second bike lock (a long D lock) on top of the rack. This raises the effective rack level to above the mudguard, and you can easily attach a rackpack then on top.

Another case of each to their own!

Glad you love your 7 though. Great bikes.

The rack may seem ridiculous to you, but I love it. So much more appealing to me than a normal rack. And you can use a rack pack very easily, with a minor modification. I store my second bike lock (a long D lock) on top of the rack. This raises the effective rack level to above the mudguard, and you can easily attach a rackpack then on top.

Would be great to see a photo of your setup.

Certainly not ridiculous. Just don’t get their inconsistent design choices. I’m sure a bag can be found for almost any rack style. I would like to have been able to find a Bontrager MIK bag to go on my Allant with my rack but, of course, it’s a Racktime rack and that won’t work. I found a very serviceable Racktime Odin and am happy with it.
I wish there was more of an à la carte approach to some of the accessories on these bikes. I’d like to have ordered it with an adjustable handlebar stem, for instance.

I looked at an Electra low step model as well and it bothered me that the fender stuck up through the rear rack. Seemed self-defeating.

Well, apparently they aren’t as popular as the 8s and 9s. I don’t regret buying mine and am pondering the +7 step thru for my wife. I don’t need the 28 mph speed and go plenty fast enough. FWIW, from what I can tell the +7 and +8 share the exact same frame.
Maybe not as popular in the US but the 2020 Allant +7 was voted the top ebike in the Netherlands!

What do guys do about potential flats ? I've always just kept a spare tube on my road bike and with the quick release wheels it would be easy to swap one out.

What do guys do about potential flats ? I've always just kept a spare tube on my road bike and with the quick release wheels it would be easy to swap one out.
I’ve had a couple now. I carry a spare tube, tire levers, a small hand pump and Co2 inflator. Pretty straightforward job. Be sure you find the source of the puncture. My first one was a steel wire through the tire, the second one was at the base of the tube inflator post... I didn’t have the tube in quite straight to the rim hole, and the rim obviously cut it. The small hand pump is good for testing the tube and pre-inflating it a bit on the rim/in the tire, and in a pinch will get you home with enough air pressure.

I’ve had a couple now. I carry a spare tube, tire levers, a small hand pump and Co2 inflator. Pretty straightforward job.
I’ve had a couple now. I carry a spare tube, tire levers, a small hand pump and Co2 inflator. Pretty straightforward job. Be sure you find the source of the puncture. My first one was a steel wire through the tire, the second one was at the base of the tube inflator post... I didn’t have the tube in quite straight to the rim hole, and the rim obviously cut it. The small hand pump is good for testing the tube and pre-inflating it a bit on the rim/in the tire, and in a pinch will get you home with enough air pressure.
I've had pretty good luck with not having flats on my road bike. I've done more on other people's bikes than mine. Never did try a Co2 inflator. Main things are checking inside of tire for what ever caused the flat and not pinching the tube. I put a little air in tube before installing. I need to get me a new pump to carry on bike. My old one is shot. I just use an air compressor at home to top off tires before I ride.

Darn thing followed me home.

Attachments

• 20200908_180910.jpg
    20200908_180910.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 447
Picked my bike up yesterday. The stem was tilted down so I had him flip it over. That made a little difference. I'm going to try it that way for a while. Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the adjustable ones you guys are using.

Back