Alex MD40 rims

E-Wheels

Hi,
Is anyone currently using or had experience (good or bad) with Alex MD40 rims?
A few years ago I had Alex rims on a MTB and found them very disappointing as they kept going out of true
Hoping they may have improved since then as I am looking at a Riese & Muller Charger ebike fitted with the MD40's
The rest of the bike spec looks good but I have a question mark over the rim choice

Every rim I've seen and that's 4 so far have been great. Double walled for eBikes! Those look great! But like you, I'd like to read someones experience. Norco seems to have used them and that would encourage me.

Hi,
A few years ago I had Alex rims on a MTB and found them very disappointing as they kept going out of true
Hoping they may have improved since then as I am looking at a Riese & Muller Charger ebike fitted with the MD40's
The rest of the bike spec looks good but I have a question mark over the rim choice

Keep in mind that Alex is a very large rim manufacturer and they have a variety of quality offerings to meet different pricepoints, etc. The MD40 rims are pretty solid, there pretty wide and their usually paired with wide tires making a very sturdy wheel. I wouldn't be too concerned about the wheels going out of true. I usually recommend upgrading the these when the terrain is rougher and the rider is looking for a bike can handle anything and go anywhere.

I hope this helps.

Hi,

I've put around 500 km on my R&M Charger GX Rohloff and around the same on my R&M Delite Mountain. Both have the MD40's, and so far I'm happy with them. I'll try to remember to report back in a few months when I have a lot more km's on them!

I've also been really surprised at how well the Rock Razors have performed in wet conditions and mud on the Charger GX Rohloff - I think the wider rims are helping out with a tire normally recommended for dry trails. I thought I would have to put some Nobby Nics on instead, but so far they've been working out well.

I've posted reviews of both bikes to our site, and I'm hoping to do some long term reviews in another month or so.

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated
Seems like these rims are ok
Does anyone know the thinnest tyres that will fit to the MD40 rims
I suspect the minimum would be around 40-584 but not sure as the Alex website lacks any information on their products

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated
Seems like these rims are ok
Does anyone know the thinnest tyres that will fit to the MD40 rims
I suspect the minimum would be around 40-584 but not sure as the Alex website lacks any information on their products
I wouldn't go that narrow. You should have a tire that is slightly wider than the rim to protect the rim. I wouldn't go lower than a 50-584. If you want a narrow tire you should get the standard Charger spec, only the GX and GT come with the MD40. Are you looking for the ability to swap tires for different conditions?

I wouldn't go that narrow. You should have a tire that is slightly wider than the rim to protect the rim. I wouldn't go lower than a 50-584. If you want a narrow tire you should get the standard Charger spec, only the GX and GT come with the MD40. Are you looking for the ability to swap tires for different conditions?
Chris,
I am looking at options to use street-commuter tyres like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus on these rims

The Super Moto X tires will work well for street commuting and they have puncture protection. If you want something a little more narrow I would recommend the Big Plus, which is a 27.5x2" as opposed to the 27.5x2.4" Super Moto X's. I think anything below 2"(50mm) would be too narrow.

Hello, I'm quite new here. I've got a Charger GX Rohloff and have done more than 7000 km with the bike over the last three months. I've had no problems with the rims so far. I have a good feeling concerning reliability and strength, because I rode both street and offroad mostly with heavy load. I've been told by the dealer that the advantage of the big rims is that the spokes don't have to be tightened as much as with smaller ones. But I am also looking for tires which are more suitable for roads and I wondered whether 2"-tires are wide enough for the MD40s. Am I right?

Hello, I'm quite new here. I've got a Charger GX Rohloff and have done more than 7000 km with the bike over the last three months. I've had no problems with the rims so far. I have a good feeling concerning reliability and strength, because I rode both street and offroad mostly with heavy load. I've been told by the dealer that the advantage of the big rims is that the spokes don't have to be tightened as much as with smaller ones. But I am also looking for tires which are more suitable for roads and I wondered whether 2"-tires are wide enough for the MD40s. Am I right?
I'm not sure I agree, spokes need to be checked and wheels need to be trued, regardless of size. At least when running bicycle rimes and spokes. That said, I'd replace the tires with the size currently running. If yours are larger I wouldn't downsize. 2" should be fine but I always run the largest size my bike will accommodate. If you are running 2.5 and move to 2" they will work, but you will have a slightly different profile. The bigger tire will be a more "protective" tire at rated PSI.

The Super Moto X tires will work well for street commuting and they have puncture protection. If you want something a little more narrow I would recommend the Big Plus, which is a 27.5x2" as opposed to the 27.5x2.4" Super Moto X's. I think anything below 2"(50mm) would be too narrow.
HI CHris ; I want to swap out the Moto x on my R+M Charger for the Smart Sams., Which size 2.25 or 2.6 will best fit the soggy hilly trails we have here in the pacific northwest ?

HI CHris ; I want to swap out the Moto x on my R+M Charger for the Smart Sams., Which size 2.25 or 2.6 will best fit the soggy hilly trails we have here in the pacific northwest ?
I think you'll need to go with 2.25 as I don't think the 2.6 will fit under the fenders. I fit 2.8 Supermotos on a Supercharger, but they aren't knobby tires.

I just replaced the Big Ben Plus tires on my Homage Rohloff HS with Marathon Mondial HS 428 28x2. They are also available in 27.5x2. They are super durable, very good on roads, good off road, and very puncture resistant. Schwalbe north America is on the town next door. They consider this tire as their very best touring tire. _detail_MarathonPlusTour-Cut_0.jpg
"
THE ULTIMATE TOURING TIRE.
The ultimate touring tire, made for roads, tracks and trails of all continents. The tread pays homage to its legendary Marathon XR predecessor. Construction and compounding are naturally the very latest Schwalbe Evo technology. TravelStar compound for the best handling characteristics, Double Defense technology makes it light, but with an extremely robust construction. The world is round. Ride it.

For large expeditions always choose the Evo version (Double Defense).c

I just replaced the Big Ben Plus tires on my Homage Rohloff HS with Marathon Mondial HS 428 28x2. They are also available in 27.5x2. They are super durable, very good on roads, good off road, and very puncture resistant. Schwalbe north America is on the town next door. They consider this tire as their very best touring tire. View attachment 27340
"
THE ULTIMATE TOURING TIRE.
The ultimate touring tire, made for roads, tracks and trails of all continents. The tread pays homage to its legendary Marathon XR predecessor. Construction and compounding are naturally the very latest Schwalbe Evo technology. TravelStar compound for the best handling characteristics, Double Defense technology makes it light, but with an extremely robust construction. The world is round. Ride it.

For large expeditions always choose the Evo version (Double Defense).c
nice ! so now how much clearance do the fenders have? a lot more than the Moto x ?

Last edited:
Steve, The tires on the Homage are 2" 50mm Big Ben's with virtually the same tread as the Super Moto X which is a 2.4"a tire. The Homage has a 28" rim rather than the 27.5 found on the Charger. It is also a narrower rim than the MD40. The fender clearance seems to be about the same with the Mondials as it was with the Big Bens even though it has a deeper tread profile. It is not really a knobby, off road/trail type tire but rather more of an all purpose, super durable one. Definitely quieter than a knobby but slightly noisier than the Motos. Not really noticeable until you go down hill and get close to 30mph.

Back