Alex MD40 rims

Steve, The tires on the Homage are 2" 50mm Big Ben's with virtually the same tread as the Super Moto X which is a 2.4"a tire. The Homage has a 28" rim rather than the 27.5 found on the Charger. It is also a narrower rim than the MD40. The fender clearance seems to be about the same with the Mondials as it was with the Big Bens even though it has a deeper tread profile. It is not really a knobby, off road/trail type tire but rather more of an all purpose, super durable one. Definitely quieter than a knobby but slightly noisier than the Motos. Not really noticeable until you go down hill and get close to 30mph.
oh it has 28 inch wheels, that is cool, the bigger the better

MD 40 are “tubeless ready”.

Yes tubless ready but just using a conversion kit. Bike shop owner told me it could become a little lasting and reliable work, is it true? anyone has tried it? direct experience? or all here finally use them with tube?

(i can't find infos of new MD40 price....how does it cost a new MD40? it's because, yesterday, i found two further 'used demi new alexrims md40' with 2 super moto x + discs at 150 usd.
Do you think can be a good thing to buy them and convert them tubeless with other schwalbe's tires than super moto x?)

Last edited:
Sorry, no day to day experience with them. BUT if you do a simple google search... http://bfy.tw/KvK8 There are dozens of posts and comments across forums.

Sorry, no day to day experience with them. BUT if you do a simple google search... http://bfy.tw/KvK8 There are dozens of posts and comments across forums.

Dear Thomas, forums are for asking and here i am :) i still have hope someone, less noob than me, will share his experience here with a MD40 tubeless or his thoughts about risks of tubeless conversion.
Everybody use google, me too :) i'll take your pretty raw suggestion with the right spirit, but not always google gives you the right answer and google SERPs are different from country to country. Maybe someone have found something to share, useful to everyone remaining written on this thread too...

I haven't gone tubeless. According to the shop where I bought my R&M several of their customers with the same bike have converted to tubeless and seem to be happy with it.

One of the things about tubeless is that it is one of those things where you need to go down a steep learning curve to get to a level of basic competence. So I'd strongly consider having your bike shop do the conversion if they know how to do such things. Ideally they would let you observe and learn while they do it.

There's some excellent utube videos on converting rims to tubeless, I think I might even try it.

After all I have not fitted my tires tubeless, on AlexRims MD40, but I inserted the inner tube in a product called speedymousse
speedymousse.jpg
I wrote something about it here:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/rock-razor-vs-moto-x-tires.25694/post-173798

Im looking at having my Alex MD40 rims converted to tubeless at a not so LBS in the Spring (Its about a 1.5 hr drive for me, but they specialize in ebikes, unlike my LBS which hates them with a passion. Very useful thread .. many thanks !

Im looking at having my Alex MD40 rims converted to tubeless at a not so LBS in the Spring (Its about a 1.5 hr drive for me, but they specialize in ebikes, unlike my LBS which hates them with a passion. Very useful thread .. many thanks !
If you ride a mid-drive, the ebike-hating LBS can't tell what bike your wheels came off if you bring them in off the bike.

How do you like the speedymouse experiment so far Dadanka?

Hi Steve i have done only 120 km with Racing Ray/Ralph and Speedymousse on our MD40s.
I can certainly say that I have not yet get any flat :) hehehe and that I can still drive my bike with pleasure, as before.
I have not yet fully understood all the differences, but what I can say is that passing over some obstacle (root, stone, sidewalks) is totally different now. The tire absorbs the bump in a totally different way, as if it were full of sand it does not bounce but it take the hit without returning it. On offroad routes I found the bike much more manageable. I think it is the effect of both, the rubber compound of these new tires and especially the presence of the speedy mousse. Virtually the opposite of the Super Moto X that I mounted before they bounced a lot, which is convenient on city routes but dangerous on off road's ones.

I fell on black ice last week and subsequently ordered a pair of Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 2.25 s. I am going out this morning to break them in ( on dry asphalt they sound like popping corn) for the recommended 40k at 20 psi ,then I will try them back up at 30 and 40 psi
1544892796374.png

Last edited:
wow so low !

Sorry Steve i made confusion with psi and bar, consider that inside speedymousse there is a common inner tube so pressure can be similar to yours. At this moment i suppose they are 2.6 bar / 37 psi, i can use them with lower values but i still don't need it

Wow superbe ice schwalbe tires!

aha ! I put 53 km on these tires today ...the first 40k on asphalt where they are so loud I cannot hear the cars behind me, so it is time to buy a mirror. The last 13 were on trails and wow they stick like glue ! As far as the ice test goes, that will have to wait as it is well above freezing today.
1544907004711.png

Back